HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 04, 2010, 03:14 PM
Wolverhampton, England
Joined Jun 2010
399 Posts
Discussion
Another Kellett flies

Hi All
Just to share with you all that another Kellett flies...... I am realy please to have found another aspect to flying model aeroplanes. It wasnt totally painless as the dozen or so flights have seen off one set of blades and many tail repairs....at one point i was using more superglue than fuel.
Finally I think i have the takeoffs cracked, plenty of right aileron (cyclic??) and down elevator until we get loads of head speed and and up she goes.
To any one who reads this and is toying with the idea of building an autogyro then just do it....you will eventually be pleased you did.
Many thanks to Safelandings for the quick delivery of the plans and patient answering of daft email questions.
Please check out the brief video.....not professional quality but my copilot/camerman was my 7 year old son James with my camera phone!!

Happy Flying
Rich
Another Kellett Flies (0 min 31 sec)
Ricardo1500 is offline Find More Posts by Ricardo1500
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 04, 2010, 04:13 PM
It was a GLITCH! Honestly!
Stourport on Severn ,Worcestershire, United Kingdom
Joined Dec 2007
4,910 Posts
Rich,
I'd give James a pat on the back for his camera work

I'm glad you managed to get her in the air, she flies well. They were not daft questions, I asked exactly the same when I was learning to fly these things and was helped out a lot.
To think that Dave a few years back was going to throw the towel in on the Profile Kellett!..he laughed at me when I told him it is the best flying tractor gyro I have flown. This statement still stands, a great design

Regards Rich
SafeLandings is offline Find More Posts by SafeLandings
Old Jul 04, 2010, 04:33 PM
AND FOR MY NEXT TRICK....!
Omaha Millard, Nebraska, United States
Joined Sep 2004
4,067 Posts
Rich....very nice job! Love the low fly by at the end!
Two thumbs up....good job James!
jodini is offline Find More Posts by jodini
Old Jul 04, 2010, 04:47 PM
Wolverhampton, England
Joined Jun 2010
399 Posts
Many thanks for your kind words....found a few more pictures during build and at the field. Yes Rich its a great design, anything I build that flies has to be!!. I like the way that they fly like "proper old style" aircraft ie throttle for height elevator for speed. I find it flies in a very similar way to a large scale Flying Flea that my late dad built

Rich
Last edited by Ricardo1500; Jul 04, 2010 at 05:01 PM. Reason: OOPS for got to add the pics
Old Jul 04, 2010, 05:16 PM
It was a GLITCH! Honestly!
Stourport on Severn ,Worcestershire, United Kingdom
Joined Dec 2007
4,910 Posts
Rich,
How about a bit of info on your set up?

Did you get your plate from Penn Models in the end or have you found another source?

Any time you want to come over to my field you are more than welcome mate your only 20 mins down the road (or is it up).

It would also be nice if you could bring it along to the Autogyro flyin in a few weeks time if you can make it? Its a bit of a drive for us but is well worth a visit!...a great bunch of like minded lads

Rich
SafeLandings is offline Find More Posts by SafeLandings
Old Jul 04, 2010, 05:46 PM
Wolverhampton, England
Joined Jun 2010
399 Posts
My set up is as follows

OS 48 Surpass with 11x6 APC prop 10% nitro.....just about adequate especially as it runs a bit rich with a full tank

2 Hitec HS485's for roll control..good servos and only 9 each from Inwoods at Weston Park. About 15 degrees roll control max movment

Hitec HS85MG's for elevator and rudder although a pair of standard Futaba 148's would do fine.

Hang angle with the head fixed 18 degrees as per plan

Fibreglass plate was from Penn Models

Gearbox for rotors was one recommended by Puffin models as a replacment for the popular one that you cant buy anymore...about 20.

One thing i am glad i did was build a wire undercarriage as this did absorb the impact of an abrupt landing following an engine failure..straighteneing an undercarriage is alot easier than sraightening a bent model!!

Rich I will take you up on the offer to come down for a fly this summer at your field although I no longer have BMFA insurance as we insure through our club elsewhere....not sure if this would have an impact on participating at the Autogyro flyin??
Old Jul 09, 2010, 09:15 AM
Nowhere
Joined Aug 2003
6,178 Posts
I am so sorry I missed this posting.

Great job on the profile!!!!! It looks smooth and flawless.

Dave
imsofaman is offline Find More Posts by imsofaman
Old Jul 15, 2010, 10:58 PM
Nowhere
Joined Aug 2003
6,178 Posts
Any more videos?
Old Jul 16, 2010, 01:06 PM
Wolverhampton, England
Joined Jun 2010
399 Posts
I've only got other little snippets...nothing better than already posted but I will try and get hold of a better camera and if we get any decent clips I will post them.
Old Jul 16, 2010, 02:21 PM
Nowhere
Joined Aug 2003
6,178 Posts
Hobby King has a nice little camera for $18.59 Works very well in sunlight. Low light it does not work so good.

Dave

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbycity/s...nDisk_Micro_SD
Old Aug 10, 2010, 03:41 PM
Wolverhampton, England
Joined Jun 2010
399 Posts
New Aircrew for Kellett

Now that I am spending more time flying it than mending it, I decided it was about time to install a decent flight crew.....those readers of a certain age may remember these characters !!! DD has probably flown one of these before anyway.
Old Aug 10, 2010, 03:55 PM
RC Group therapist
DeRidder LA.
Joined Nov 2008
1,961 Posts
You gotta love Dick Dasterdly, and Muttly! Although those are charished characters from my childhood, they weren't really that great at flying. Seems on most of thier episodes where flying was involved they re-kitted the aircraft. All kidding aside, your kellett looks great. I'm happy to hear you're enjoying it so much. Mine is my favorite tractor gyro hands down.

Regards,
-Mike
Boneswamped is offline Find More Posts by Boneswamped
Old Aug 11, 2010, 06:04 AM
autogyro andy
South UK
Joined Feb 2007
751 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardo1500 View Post
Now that I am spending more time flying it than mending it, I decided it was about time to install a decent flight crew.....those readers of a certain age may remember these characters !!! DD has probably flown one of these before anyway.
I missed this thread also..

Great video Rich well done

Yes I am of that age when DD and Mutley were my reason for switching on the TV; Or was it the Penelope Pit Stop!

Regards
Andy
HandyAndy is offline Find More Posts by HandyAndy