SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 03, 2010, 02:14 PM
United States, WA, Puyallup
Joined Aug 2006
2,210 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbojoe View Post
OK lectroglide I did this just for you buddy. I just mounted up the aileron/pitch servos. The raised area on the EXI servo nut plates when one is flipped over makes a perfect space filler for that extra area that the servo doesn't fill. It's difficult to describe. You'll see what I mean when you go to install yours. I'd shoot and upload some pictures but I can't find the blasted USB cable for my camera!!

Joe
kool, when ya find your cord ya might wanna shoot us a pic, thanx
lectroglide is offline Find More Posts by lectroglide
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 03, 2010, 02:24 PM
Joined Aug 2006
2,210 Posts
check this out

was going thru my "relic" box of dead servos and found 3 that will fit>>>>>>>JR NES321 airtronix 94461 royal mini titan>>>>>>>>>>I got 3 of those airtronix that work if anyone wants to mess with'em
Last edited by lectroglide; Dec 03, 2010 at 02:34 PM.
Old Dec 03, 2010, 02:38 PM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,439 Posts
Some HS225 posts.
One thing you can do is pick a picture, then sift through just the pictures using the image list at the bottom of an uploaded pic you chose.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=3944
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=3956
Melnic is offline Find More Posts by Melnic
Old Dec 03, 2010, 05:24 PM
Joined Aug 2006
2,210 Posts
deleted
Last edited by lectroglide; Dec 04, 2010 at 12:14 AM.
Old Dec 04, 2010, 02:25 AM
M0unt@in M0del$ minion
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2002
7,227 Posts
I got lucky and blasted out all my work early tonight. Got some time to work on the heli. Got the kit greased, LocTited and fully assembled with servos. Got home tonight (morning ) and my HobbyPartz Blue LiPo 30C 6s pack and my Value Hobby 1600KV motor were here. I have a ton of stuff to do this weekend but I'm hoping to at least get the rest of the electronics installed and get the bird spun up to check for vibrations etc.

I found a problem during assembly that you may want to double check on your builds. When I tried inserting the bolt through the main gearset and mainshaft it was very tight going in. The two gears would bind and autorotate would not be possible. I measured the shim between the gears and read .038. I sanded the shim down to an eventual thickness of .029 and got minimal slop between the gears and a smooth one way (autorotate) action. Good to go now. Something worth checking on your builds. If the gears don't spin free independently after assembly then your shim may be too thick as well.

Joe
turbojoe is offline Find More Posts by turbojoe
Old Dec 04, 2010, 08:31 AM
United States, NJ, Chatham
Joined Mar 2010
294 Posts
I received my Exi 500 plastic yesterday and I couldnt believe the size. My kit came with everything and nothing was damaged. I now have to order a bunch of things from HK. I am going to go the TT route and change over some of the components from plastic to metal. She wont be flying for some time, but will keep me busy this winter.
ck986 is online now Find More Posts by ck986
Old Dec 04, 2010, 08:48 AM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,439 Posts
turbo, I never had problems with that little shim. If it's too thick, then what's it hitting? Are you sure you have the assembly order correct with the shim and the OWB sleeve all in the correct order and orientation?
Old Dec 04, 2010, 10:48 AM
Joined Aug 2006
2,210 Posts
didnt have that problem but did think that bolt going thru shaft/auto R gear hole was too small, Im aware that wimpy factory bolt needs to be changend out, anyone else in question about that? I used a 4/40 hex head in the carbon version and it went right in, but will not in the plastic kit
Last edited by lectroglide; Dec 04, 2010 at 11:34 AM.
Old Dec 04, 2010, 11:08 AM
Joined Sep 2009
428 Posts
thantdoes sound funny my main gear had about 2mm play i used a trex 600 shim i have a extra somewhere if you need it.

Well i got that gaui 425/550 motor and it is sold it reminds me of my trex600 motor im going to use the 13t but i ill try to find a 15t for it.
anton831 is offline Find More Posts by anton831
Old Dec 04, 2010, 05:09 PM
Paderborn DE
Joined Oct 2004
1,074 Posts
Quote:
I got lucky and blasted out all my work early tonight. Got some time to work on the heli. Got the kit greased, LocTited and fully assembled with servos. Got home tonight (morning ) and my HobbyPartz Blue LiPo 30C 6s pack and my Value Hobby 1600KV motor were here. I have a ton of stuff to do this weekend but I'm hoping to at least get the rest of the electronics installed and get the bird spun up to check for vibrations etc.

I found a problem during assembly that you may want to double check on your builds. When I tried inserting the bolt through the main gearset and mainshaft it was very tight going in. The two gears would bind and autorotate would not be possible. I measured the shim between the gears and read .038. I sanded the shim down to an eventual thickness of .029 and got minimal slop between the gears and a smooth one way (autorotate) action. Good to go now. Something worth checking on your builds. If the gears don't spin free independently after assembly then your shim may be too thick as well.

Joe
Hi Turbo,
old problem ( I think). You have to loosten the collet that holds the main shaft in place (above the top bearing) before you fit the main gear and then the gear pretty much must fit. HOWEVER, on my kit the one-way bearing (which is a press fit into the housing) was too low which meant that the whole gear train sat a bit too high and rubed on the side frames. I just used a vice to 'adjust' the position where it sits. To agree with Melnic, are U sure that the shim is in the right place?? On a 450 it sits above the one-way housing but on the 500 it sits between the main and auto gears.

P.S. I won't ask if you have removed the lower main bearing holder and re-instaled it the wrong way around (with the opening facing upwards) 'cos that will also screw the distance up!!!!!!
PaulB is offline Find More Posts by PaulB
Last edited by PaulB; Dec 04, 2010 at 05:14 PM.
Old Dec 04, 2010, 05:36 PM
M0unt@in M0del$ minion
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2002
7,227 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulB View Post
Hi Turbo,
old problem ( I think). You have to loosten the collet that holds the main shaft in place (above the top bearing) before you fit the main gear and then the gear pretty much must fit.
Paul,

On most helis that would be true. However the 500's have a stepped area at the bottom of the shaft that the autorotate bearing seats against. That top collar has zero affect on the binding issue I was having in the gear area. After fighting it I assembled the shaft and gears outside the frame. I even tried a brand new Align mainshaft with the same result. That's how I was able to determine what really needed attention. Sanding the spacer was the only way I was able to achieve the clearance needed. Good thing I never leave home without my digital calipers.

Joe
Last edited by turbojoe; Dec 04, 2010 at 06:02 PM.
Old Dec 04, 2010, 05:57 PM
M0unt@in M0del$ minion
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2002
7,227 Posts
2.4 ghz satellite

I'm going to be using a Spektrum AR6200 2.4 RX. I've seen several pictures with the satellite mounted is different areas. Has anyone found a mount point that worked better than others?

Joe
Old Dec 04, 2010, 06:54 PM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,439 Posts
Quote:
I'm going to be using a Spektrum AR6200 2.4 RX. I've seen several pictures with the satellite mounted is different areas. Has anyone found a mount point that worked better than others?

Joe
Here is where I put mine originally. Now it's at the bottom of the frame sticking out slightly. It's on velcro so in a crash it pops loose instead of getting smashed if the maingear breaks.
Old Dec 04, 2010, 08:00 PM
Not a six pack
USA, IL, Chicago
Joined Jul 2008
5,268 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melnic View Post
turbo, I never had problems with that little shim. If it's too thick, then what's it hitting? Are you sure you have the assembly order correct with the shim and the OWB sleeve all in the correct order and orientation?

I'm putting together the black friday plastic exi500 for a friend. I just ran into the same problem. shim too thick, was able to force the lower jesus bolt but then it squeezed the 2 gears together causing the owb to lock up. I just removed the shim entirely. (ill sand it down later)

Now I'm running into the flybar rubbing against the side of the slot in the headblock. This is all strange as these 2 parts (gear assembly and headblock) are the same as the exi500 carbon.
rocketscience is offline Find More Posts by rocketscience
Old Dec 04, 2010, 08:04 PM
Not a six pack
USA, IL, Chicago
Joined Jul 2008
5,268 Posts
I'm using hs225bb for my friend on cyclic. Using the orange horns, I put the ball out at the 16mm hole. Is that OK for these servos? I haven't put a pitch gauge on it, but the servo travel seems less than it should be just eyeballing it.
rocketscience is offline Find More Posts by rocketscience