View Poll Results: Poll Closed
cloled 0 0%
closed 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jan 17, 2013, 09:18 PM
Joined Jan 2005
49 Posts
Nirvana availability

Hello all! My model yacht club has just adopted the Nirvana as our club entry boat. We race several others classes but decided the Nirvana perfect for people to start with. I even discussed this with Steve Lang this past summer. Well now I log onto his site and find out that they are sold out and don't know when or ever get another order in. My question to you all is, besides finding them used on Ebay where can one find any Nirvanas in the States? We will have people joining our club this spring and need to find a source for them to get boats. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

John Ebell
Maryland Model Yacht Club
John Ebell is offline Find More Posts by John Ebell
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 17, 2013, 10:30 PM
Boomer1
United States, CA, Temecula
Joined Sep 2009
3,475 Posts
Hi John
Looks like you have a conundrum there. The good news is that there are Nirvana's for sale on E-bay quite often. Seebee has a nice boat for sale right now that would be a good starting point. If the club had the funds, stocking up on a few boats might not be a bad idea.
Not sure how long the wait will be for another container load of Nirvana's or even if that is in the works, but depending on how many boats you anticipate needing, it might not be more than an inconvenience. Not sure?

Good luck
Boomer
Boomer1 is online now Find More Posts by Boomer1
Old Jan 18, 2013, 04:03 AM
Mr Happy
United States, AL, Montgomery
Joined Jul 2011
199 Posts
MMBClub Sail - Jan 12

A short video of last Saturday at the pond to show that used boats aren't all bad. First part is an old Charleston dingy racers way of telling if a boat has a favored tack, but I keep forgetting to do it both ways. Middle is just some sailing. Last part is the Vulture taking a closer look, then quickly running away; I guess just scared.

BijouMaiden-1-12-13 (3 min 48 sec)
jppom is offline Find More Posts by jppom
Old Jan 18, 2013, 05:49 AM
AMA # 949551
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Oct 2009
2,110 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Ebell View Post
Hello all! My model yacht club has just adopted the Nirvana as our club entry boat. We race several others classes but decided the Nirvana perfect for people to start with. I even discussed this with Steve Lang this past summer. Well now I log onto his site and find out that they are sold out and don't know when or ever get another order in. My question to you all is, besides finding them used on Ebay where can one find any Nirvanas in the States? We will have people joining our club this spring and need to find a source for them to get boats. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

John Ebell
Maryland Model Yacht Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer1 View Post
Hi John
Looks like you have a conundrum there. The good news is that there are Nirvana's for sale on E-bay quite often. Seebee has a nice boat for sale right now that would be a good starting point. If the club had the funds, stocking up on a few boats might not be a bad idea.
Not sure how long the wait will be for another container load of Nirvana's or even if that is in the works, but depending on how many boats you anticipate needing, it might not be more than an inconvenience. Not sure?

Good luck
Boomer
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwatson View Post
That is a website I will keep my eye on when it is time for me to move back to the states in few years.

I could load up, bring it back and sell it off.

HMMMMMMM!!!!!
Hmmmm? Indeed.

I just went though the process on THIS site and found that 405USD shipped is a great price for three boats. However, as you go through to the end you have to "contact seller" to figure a way to pay.

I sent them a nastygram advising that since it's not PayPal to cancel my order. If they respond that somehow they DO accept PayPal, I may need to be the proud owner of a few yachts!

The used Ebay boat is almost 300USD!

b
rikybob is offline Find More Posts by rikybob
Old Jan 18, 2013, 09:54 AM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,475 Posts
rikybob
My Mom used to tell me "if something seems to be to good to be true, it probably is". If they don't accept PayPal beware. Using a credit card could be OK but I'd contact the CC company to determine your options with them for fraud protection.
You can use a Prepaid CC that is limited to the exact amount of the purchase, but you should know that card's rules for support on fraud.
I am hearing that Google is offering a PayPal like service now. Maybe of interest?
Be careful, cover your self - good luck.

As far as the price on E-bay, it is always fun to watch as folks get into the bidding wars. Anytime people are bidding so far in advance of the bid closing tells you that those folks don't know what they are doing, don't know the value of the item and clearly don't know how to use automatic bidding.

There is an art to winning on e-bay as well as technology to be used to help you win. E-bay can be fun - like playing cards, it's better to understand the game before you play................or you will pay the price

Boomer
Old Jan 18, 2013, 05:28 PM
**NOT GUILTY**
Millbrook, Alabama
Joined Jun 2004
6,439 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jppom View Post
MMBClub Sail - Jan 12

A short video of last Saturday at the pond to show that used boats aren't all bad. First part is an old Charleston dingy racers way of telling if a boat has a favored tack, but I keep forgetting to do it both ways. Middle is just some sailing. Last part is the Vulture taking a closer look, then quickly running away; I guess just scared.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqd6jViwC_g
Hey you forgot the part where I ran you down, boarded and keel hauled you...

Seriously...I didn't even know you were filming or I would have shown off some...

Nice job Wild Bill...it's good to have another man filming some action and posting...
Capt.Crash is offline Find More Posts by Capt.Crash
Old Jan 18, 2013, 05:30 PM
**NOT GUILTY**
Millbrook, Alabama
Joined Jun 2004
6,439 Posts
Quote:
Hi John
If the club had the funds, stocking up on a few boats might not be a bad idea.
I've done that twice...even fixed one up at a loss to resell to a new member only to never see them again after a couple of sails...
Old Jan 18, 2013, 05:47 PM
hass-alfed and bass-ackwards
United States, AZ, Chandler
Joined Jun 2008
5,297 Posts
Quote:
... First part is an old Charleston dingy racers way of telling if a boat has a favored tack, but I keep forgetting to do it both ways.
Would you care to explain what exactly is going on there for us newbies? To me, it more or less looks like you're sailing in a circle? What is it you're looking at/for? What are the control inputs you're giving?
carlsoti is offline Find More Posts by carlsoti
Old Jan 18, 2013, 10:10 PM
Mr Happy
United States, AL, Montgomery
Joined Jul 2011
199 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlsoti View Post
Would you care to explain what exactly is going on there for us newbies? To me, it more or less looks like you're sailing in a circle? What is it you're looking at/for? What are the control inputs you're giving?
Don't know if it really works, but this is the what I was told ~40 years ago. Steady wind, up to about 10kts, because you will be jibing. Sails set at about 1/4 reach position and tied off. Rudder just a bit off center to turn into the wind gently, and tied off. Without any other inputs the boat will sail on a reach, turn into the wind, tack, sail back, jibe, and sail on initial heading, etc. Take a bearing at midpoint of first tack and after four or five more. If the 'circle' is migrating one way or another, you are sailing farther on that tack in the same amount of time than you are on the other tack. Verify by shifting the rudder to the other side and going opposite direction around the circles. Smaller boats need more attention to minimize weight shifts to get accurate results. If the wind changes, you have had fun, but have zippo results. This can also be used if by yourself and need to go below to make a sandwich or get rid of a previous one. The boat sails in gentle circles 'station keeping' while you are busy. Aren't you glad you asked?
jppom is offline Find More Posts by jppom
Old Jan 18, 2013, 10:29 PM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,475 Posts
JP
Great explanation! Enjoyed reading it.
Thank you
Boomer
Old Jan 19, 2013, 07:06 AM
AMA # 949551
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Oct 2009
2,110 Posts
Quote:
Don't know if it really works, but this is the what I was told ~40 years ago. Steady wind, up to about 10kts, because you will be jibing. Sails set at about 1/4 reach position and tied off. Rudder just a bit off center to turn into the wind gently, and tied off. Without any other inputs the boat will sail on a reach, turn into the wind, tack, sail back, jibe, and sail on initial heading, etc. Take a bearing at midpoint of first tack and after four or five more. If the 'circle' is migrating one way or another, you are sailing farther on that tack in the same amount of time than you are on the other tack. Verify by shifting the rudder to the other side and going opposite direction around the circles. Smaller boats need more attention to minimize weight shifts to get accurate results. If the wind changes, you have had fun, but have zippo results. This can also be used if by yourself and need to go below to make a sandwich or get rid of a previous one. The boat sails in gentle circles 'station keeping' while you are busy. Aren't you glad you asked?

+1!

I know NOTHING of sailing except the theory, the practice of "tacking" as I was just given the model!

The other day I, quite by accident practiced that phenom while doing something with the radio. I looked up and the little devil would loop around in circles. Oddly, that's the video I posted back. If you look closely, the author is seen facing away, horsing with the Tx!

b
Old Jan 19, 2013, 07:12 AM
AMA # 949551
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Oct 2009
2,110 Posts
Quote:
rikybob
My Mom used to tell me "if something seems to be to good to be true, it probably is". If they don't accept PayPal beware. Using a credit card could be OK but I'd contact the CC company to determine your options with them for fraud protection.
You can use a Prepaid CC that is limited to the exact amount of the purchase, but you should know that card's rules for support on fraud.
I am hearing that Google is offering a PayPal like service now. Maybe of interest?

As far as the price on E-bay, it is always fun to watch as folks get into the bidding wars. Anytime people are bidding so far in advance of the bid closing tells you that those folks don't know what they are doing, don't know the value of the item and clearly don't know how to use automatic bidding.

There is an art to winning on e-bay as well as technology to be used to help you win. E-bay can be fun - like playing cards, it's better to understand the game before you play................or you will pay the price

Boomer

To date no contact from the Hobby Company. Kinda interested in their response!

Yah, Ebay auctions annoy me, I'm a "buy it now" kinda guy!

All the best!

b
Old Jan 19, 2013, 07:59 AM
**NOT GUILTY**
Millbrook, Alabama
Joined Jun 2004
6,439 Posts
For all you snowed in...

...here is a video to get your sailing fix with the # 72 boat in her previous life. The fishing boat is a Midwest lobsta boat conversion, the tugs are a Mister Darby and highly modified Atlantic Harbor tug...

MMBC Sail 5/28/2011 (4 min 45 sec)
Old Jan 19, 2013, 08:26 AM
AMA # 949551
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Oct 2009
2,110 Posts
Quote:
rikybob

Boomer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Crash View Post
...here is a video to get your sailing fix with the # 72 boat in her previous life. The fishing boat is a Midwest lobsta boat conversion, the tugs are a Mister Darby and highly modified Atlantic Harbor tug...

http://vimeo.com/24470822

Great viddy!
Old Jan 19, 2013, 10:06 AM
Nirvana 38, Seawind 178
United States, NC
Joined Feb 2012
498 Posts
Don't be afraid of used boats, I have 4 now and no problems, actually, sometimes used can be better as the previous owner may have upgraded the electronics and addressed known issues with a particular part of the boat. Good luck with your endevour and I know your will enjoy your Nirvanas once you get going.
seabee CE is offline Find More Posts by seabee CE