HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 23, 2002, 12:51 PM
aka Anthony
Edmonton, Alberta
Joined Jul 2002
1,005 Posts
Me: 1, Tree: 0

So I had my first tree landing today. Man it was not fun. I tossed my plane in the field accross from my street, and just then the wind picked up. I tried to controll it back into the empty field, but the tree was overpowering me with it's huge natural plane magnetism.

Of course, the plane manages to get in the highest branch possible, about 30 feet off the ground.

I was faced with the plane stuck in a tree, a car right below said tree, and a very busy street. All I had to get it down was a flat basketball and a football.

I threw the basketball at it about 3 times before the tree managed to swallow it as well. Couldn't believe it. So then I pulled out the football, and after about 10 solid tosses I finally scored a direct hit, and the plane came gliding down and made a slight nose landing into the ground. Because the plane I have is a pusher, there was absolutely no damage.

Whew, got lucky this time.
Xoltri is offline Find More Posts by Xoltri
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 23, 2002, 01:29 PM
Hacker motoren rules :)
Sweden, Östergötland County, Norrköping
Joined Sep 2001
763 Posts
did you get the basketball down to
Philip Thulin is offline Find More Posts by Philip Thulin
Old Jul 23, 2002, 02:23 PM
aka Anthony
Edmonton, Alberta
Joined Jul 2002
1,005 Posts
lol no, the basketball is gone forever I think. It doesn't hold air too well so it's not worth the effort.

Here is the tree that ate my plane, the red circle shows where it was.
Old Jul 23, 2002, 02:24 PM
aka Anthony
Edmonton, Alberta
Joined Jul 2002
1,005 Posts
This is the field I usually fly in, right accross the street from my house. It's a dog park though so it's packed with people after 5pm. The hill isn't as far away as it looks...and it conceals about 2/3 of the field behind it.
Old Jul 23, 2002, 02:28 PM
United States, NY, Dutchess
Joined Jun 2002
652 Posts
Yeah! finally one for the plane and the tree lost!

I wasn't so lucky;

check out:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...threadid=52065 for what that nasty plane eating tree did to my plane before it finally released it.
robs is offline Find More Posts by robs
Old Jul 23, 2002, 02:37 PM
aka Anthony
Edmonton, Alberta
Joined Jul 2002
1,005 Posts
That sucks robs, did you get it in the air again yet? I remember reading that thread when you first posted it.
Old Jul 23, 2002, 02:57 PM
United States, NY, Dutchess
Joined Jun 2002
652 Posts
The TM is back together, now I'm just waiting for the wind to stop. I'm really curious as to how well my repairs will hold up.
robs is offline Find More Posts by robs
Old Jul 23, 2002, 05:07 PM
Plane hugging cat
Mackay Queensland Australia
Joined Sep 2001
1,355 Posts
Me 2 tree 2

I think I'm even with the trees. Landed in trees twice and had 2 brushes but no capture.

If only I had the maneuver my Styrene Stick pulled off the other day on video.

I was flying along at low alt when a gust of wind caught the plane and put it in a right turn. Small tree was on the right. After giving left rudder and it having no effect I did a daring maneuver and gave it hard right and full throttle in an attempt to turn inside of the tree and pull up over it. I heard the plane brush the branches as it went past but the idea worked!

That's the second brush I've had with that tree. Mmmm, is that a chainsaw I hear?
Vonbaron is offline Find More Posts by Vonbaron