HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 16, 2014, 08:34 PM
United States, PA, Catawissa
Joined Jul 2011
360 Posts
Discussion
VA-Models Extra 330SC EPP full fuselage

Hello,
I would like to share with you all, some info and pictures of my new plane that i received recently, the new Va-Models EXTRA 330SC !!!
Upon opening up the box you will soon realize that it is a high quality kit! Some features that stand out are sharp and vibrant graphic scheme, clear canopy and detailed cockpit, sweet fairings and sexy wheel pants
The Va-Models Extra 330SC is available in Green, Yellow and Red from Epphobby. A detailed step by step printed manual is included and building process was pretty simple and straight forward. A sharp hobby knife is a must to make clean and straight cut/ slice through the foam!
As usual, take your time to test fit the parts before gluing them together and i always soak all plywood parts with thin CA and add some expoxy on the motor box joints.
I am using an Emax BL2220/08, Emax 35A Esc with switching mode, Apc 10x4.7sf, 4 emax digital mg servos and the AUW comes at 712 grams (25oz) with a 3S 1500mAh.

Features:
  • True full fuselage design made out of durable and lightweight EPP foam that is easy to fix.
  • SFGs (Side Force Generator) made out plywood for stable high alpha maneuvers.
  • Durable motor-box made out of thick and rigid plywood.
  • Plastic molded cowl and clear canopy.
  • Epp Wheel pants and fairings.
  • Steerable tail-wheel.
Technical spec:
  • Wingspan : 1050mm / 41in.
  • Length : 1080mm / 43in
  • Flight weight : 590-660g / 21-23oz

If you have any question, please let me know and i will do my best to help! In the mean time, my VA Extra 330SC is ready for it's maiden flight

rc4u is offline Find More Posts by rc4u
Last edited by rc4u; Apr 07, 2014 at 07:46 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 16, 2014, 10:12 PM
CAP 232-aholic
Centreville, VA
Joined Jan 2003
1,386 Posts
Nice, how does it fly?
DiabloKid is offline Find More Posts by DiabloKid
Old Mar 16, 2014, 10:34 PM
Joined Jul 2011
360 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabloKid View Post
Nice, how does it fly?
I will be back with a flight report soon, stay tuned!
I know it looks very nice
Old Mar 17, 2014, 02:18 PM
Joined Jul 2010
365 Posts
..please test it asap and show us how it hovers and how it torque rolls...........................................th is is a important proof!!!!
hot wings is offline Find More Posts by hot wings
Old Mar 17, 2014, 10:57 PM
Joined Jul 2011
360 Posts
Had a chance to take the 330SC out for the maiden flight this afternoon! It flew great, went into a hover for a few seconds then it fell out of the sky! It turned out that my battery can't hold the charge any longer. But no worries, i have a couple new Lipos on the way and i'm hoping to be able to test fly this weekend....

Quote:
Originally Posted by hot wings View Post
..please test it asap and show us how it hovers and how it torque rolls...........................................th is is a important proof!!!!
Uh oh...i am not sure if i am up to the task, but i will give it a shot
I travel a lot for work and consider myself lucky if i get to fly once a week!
Old Mar 22, 2014, 01:31 AM
Joined Jul 2011
360 Posts
I finally got a video to show, though there is not much to see
It has been months since the last time i went out to fly! Thanks to my rusted fingers and gusty wind, i managed to crash twice. Other than a missing piece of foam out of the wheel pant, nothing else needed to be fixed!
As a beginner 3d pilot, i found the 330SC pretty stable and easy to hover. KE was smooth and locked in, no coupling and no mixing required.
Hovering starts at 1:48min
I would say the VA 330SC is a great, durable 3D trainer and a very capable 3D Epp airframe, that's if you got the skill!
You be the judge! .....

VA-Models EXTRA 330SC (2 min 53 sec)
Old Mar 23, 2014, 11:13 AM
CAP 232-aholic
Centreville, VA
Joined Jan 2003
1,386 Posts
looks good. I would like to use a cheaper Turnigy motor. Any suggestions?
Old Mar 23, 2014, 12:04 PM
Joined Jul 2011
360 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabloKid View Post
looks good. I would like to use a cheaper Turnigy motor. Any suggestions?
Thanks! I will have to take a look for a suitable Turnigy motor as i have no experience with one.
The last time i spoke with Epphobby's owner, he told me that he will soon have PNP versions at affordable prices. I know for sure that their PNPs will come with a BL motor, switching mode ESC and Emax digital metal gear servos.
Old Mar 23, 2014, 12:15 PM
Joined Jul 2011
360 Posts
The closest one to the one i use and based on the numbers posted is the Turnigy D2836/8 1100KV. But please note that posted numbers can be missleading and performance vary from one brand to another.
Perhaps others with experience could please help, thanks!
Old Mar 23, 2014, 02:01 PM
CAP 232-aholic
Centreville, VA
Joined Jan 2003
1,386 Posts
good info pal. I am in no hurry and can wait for a PNP version. Just need something to kick around the local park thats fun and easy on the wallet.
Old Mar 23, 2014, 02:23 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Mar 2014
24 Posts
I was very happy with the turnigy D motor until i compared it to other motors via testing. The results are below. Note the results do not give any accurate thrust data as my digi scales were pulling backwards. It does however gave an insight into the different options. Note the differing ESC's make a huge difference to both the total thrust AND throttle-ability.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...4#post27726712
Park Fly is offline Find More Posts by Park Fly
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Mar 23, 2014, 04:28 PM
Joined Jul 2011
360 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Park Fly View Post
I was very happy with the turnigy D motor until i compared it to other motors via testing. The results are below. Note the results do not give any accurate thrust data as my digi scales were pulling backwards. It does however gave an insight into the different options. Note the differing ESC's make a huge difference to both the total thrust AND throttle-ability.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...4#post27726712
Interesting! Never thought of those things that you tested.
So, which motor and esc that you would recommend for the 330SC with such specs listed above? Thanks!
Old Mar 23, 2014, 05:03 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Mar 2014
24 Posts
I am thinking on buying a yellow one of these, and i will go with a sunnysky X2216-9 1100kv a 3 cell zippy compact 850mah and a Yep 30 (HK) or a JP EnerGpro 25 gws 10X4.7 prop, but will also try an APC 10X3.8 slow fly and even a APC 9X3.8 Slowfly.
The Sunnysky's are available from 'BangGood' for stupid money and free postage.
They have a 4mm shaft also which is much better than the 3mm shafts on some which are easily snapped.
Park Fly is offline Find More Posts by Park Fly
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Mar 23, 2014, 06:29 PM
Joined Jul 2011
360 Posts
Thanks Park Fly! Please post what you think about the 330SC once you bought and built one.
For my next plane, which is VA330, I will get that sunnysky motor and esc that you recommend.
Last edited by rc4u; Mar 23, 2014 at 06:38 PM.
Old Mar 23, 2014, 09:15 PM
CAP 232-aholic
Centreville, VA
Joined Jan 2003
1,386 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Park Fly View Post
I am thinking on buying a yellow one of these, and i will go with a sunnysky X2216-9 1100kv a 3 cell zippy compact 850mah and a Yep 30 (HK) or a JP EnerGpro 25 gws 10X4.7 prop, but will also try an APC 10X3.8 slow fly and even a APC 9X3.8 Slowfly.
The Sunnysky's are available from 'BangGood' for stupid money and free postage.
They have a 4mm shaft also which is much better than the 3mm shafts on some which are easily snapped.

Did not see the X2216-9 on BangGoods website. What did I do wrong?