HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 25, 2013, 08:37 PM
United States, FL, Oviedo
Joined Mar 2013
1,086 Posts
Idea
Pocket Size Folding NANO H..... FEELER THREAD!

I hadn't planned on starting on this project until January but due to the seemingly high interest I've decided to expedite this design.

What i need to know is how many people would be willing to buy one if they if I could get the cost within say $30 of what the H107D is going for not considering the price of an 808 #16. So basically you could get the aircraft + motors + props + receiver + VTX w/ 600TVL micro cam + a Devo F4 for around $250. Then for an added $55-$65 I'd put the 808 #16 on it for on board HD recording. IF I can see enough interest in this i will start making them right away...but you guys have got to be honest with me and not just say yeah I'd get one and then not follow through. I could have a small batch ready in about a week from the day i say it's a go...

Here's the goodies... It would fold to a small enough size to fit in your pocket, it would be made of 3ply carbon fiber for the decks and the same 1/4in square carbon graphite booms with diamond orientation just like my V2&V3. It would use the same 8.5 x 20mm motors the v2&v3 use and be able to carry the 808#16 and a vtx for both fpv and on board HD recording. One of the really cool things about it is that with the folding booms they could be replaced with a boom that could use brushless motors when the technology for all the components becomes small enough to support it.

From Concept...

Here's the quick scale cutout i did...

To Reality...

Ramz Innovations is offline Find More Posts by Ramz Innovations
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Ramz Innovations; Jan 16, 2014 at 12:00 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 26, 2013, 02:20 AM
Working to make things happen!
Joined Mar 2013
1,257 Posts
That's a hell of a price, but right around the holidays, I may have to pass, as I don't have a lot of extra cash. I really like this idea though, and if a few more people start jumping, well...my Mom always asked the proverbial if everyone else was jumping of a bridge question. I will definitely follow this closely.
HeliStorm (FPV America) is online now Find More Posts by HeliStorm (FPV America)
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FPV America Petitioning the FAA
Old Nov 26, 2013, 07:53 AM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
20,591 Posts
I'm definately interested

Build a prototype please
Razors edge 29 is online now Find More Posts by Razors edge 29
Old Nov 26, 2013, 08:41 AM
Joined Mar 2013
1,086 Posts
I'll start on it today... I have some other orders to fulfill as well so until those are complete it will take a back seat...

I forgot to mention... Of course I will offer it as a kit and BNF in addition to the RTF option. And, I should be able to do a Spectrum compatible version too. Let me finish the protoype before I start throwing numbers out there for the Kit and BNF pricing... The RTF ballpark price I gave in the OP is just that a ballpark price based on my cost for the components and an estimate for my labor...
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 26, 2013, 09:58 AM
Joined Nov 2013
273 Posts
That would be AWESOME. Would love to have a good platform for nano fpv..

This is something I would definitely save up for lol.
driftme is online now Find More Posts by driftme
Old Nov 26, 2013, 10:28 AM
Team of ONE....or...Team Me
Reno, Nevada
Joined Oct 2006
787 Posts
DeadTom checking in with a please prototype with a Spektrum DSM2 signal and I am most definetly interested.

PS - if you need any CF flatwork cut let me know as I have a CNC router that makes short work of CF, G10, wood, etc.
DeadTom is offline Find More Posts by DeadTom
Last edited by DeadTom; Nov 26, 2013 at 10:31 AM. Reason: added PS
Old Nov 26, 2013, 10:55 AM
We Do It With FRQZ
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Aug 2009
2,120 Posts
well ill be along for the ride!
dkintx is offline Find More Posts by dkintx
Old Nov 26, 2013, 11:13 AM
Joined Mar 2013
1,086 Posts
Ok, thanks for checking in guys. I'll start working on the prototype but I'm going to let the thread ride for a couple days to get a good idea of interest before I say it's a go.

I'm looking for ideas on the DSM2/Spektrum compatible boards, so far the best option is looking like the Blade Nano QX board. It doesn't have any aux outputs like the LB and LBV2 but that's no problem, I could pig tail some connectors off the main power and use larger gauge main power wire if needed.
I don't particularly like the Ladybird compatible DSM2 board...

The quality control looks poor compared to other boards and I have no clue if it could drive HS-8520 motors like the LB does so well.
Please help this come to life if you have any ideas on other boards, thanks!

PS. I'm working hard to get Carbon graphite 8.5x20mm motors and carbon fiber traxxas qr1 propeller copies made so stay tuned for those...
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 26, 2013, 12:03 PM
Joined Mar 2013
1,086 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadTom View Post
DeadTom checking in with a please prototype with a Spektrum DSM2 signal and I am most definitely interested.

PS - if you need any CF flat work cut let me know as I have a CNC router that makes short work of CF, G10, wood, etc.
Thanks I really appreciate the cutout service offer but I've built my own CNC machine center before...

It boasts 4axis Gecko G540, Keling 380oz motors, flood coolant, lathe and milling capability, MACH3 control, honed and lapped ways, repeatability of +or- 0.0002 (thats 2 TEN thousandths!!!) and a ton of other stuff... I recently sold it but I'm sure If I get to the point where I'm doing enough of these I could whip up a 3axis router table... although I do have some lasers powerful enough for the job as well, but getting rid of the highly toxic fumes is a task by itself...
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 26, 2013, 01:55 PM
United States, CA, Baldwin Park
Joined Jun 2004
2,003 Posts
Did I just hear a Nano/carbon/FPV/ fold-able quad all in the same post?! You got my attention Ramz. I might just have to get me one of these And carbon props? that's nuts!!!
TonyTypeS is offline Find More Posts by TonyTypeS
Old Nov 26, 2013, 02:01 PM
Joined Jun 2013
341 Posts
Very cool stuff!! Just a few questions if you don't mind.

What are your estimated flight times with everything including the 808 camera?

Can I use my fatshark goggles with this?

Thanks and good job on your projects.
Buckaroo Banzai is offline Find More Posts by Buckaroo Banzai
Old Nov 26, 2013, 03:26 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
20,591 Posts
Yes Tony you did

Awesome eh
Old Nov 26, 2013, 05:08 PM
Closed Account
Joined Mar 2013
92 Posts
FireBall33 is offline Find More Posts by FireBall33
Last edited by FireBall33; Nov 27, 2013 at 04:41 AM.
Old Nov 26, 2013, 05:37 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
20,591 Posts
I'm thinking sleek and fast design

Can down low as possible with movable lens for different cam angles for FFF is possible without always looking at geound .

Removable top plate is a must to install electronics easily keeping cg low.

Vtx on top

Fc and cam on main plate with dampening.

Also locate lipo in position where you can easily adjust cg.

Maybe preset arm locations for aggressive and or more stable flight
Old Nov 26, 2013, 07:02 PM
United States, NY, Buffalo
Joined Mar 2007
273 Posts
I think I'm in your target market. I have my Frankenqx fpv but I'm always looking for something more streamlined and performant. I actually have the parts for a rakon heli ladybird/mqx hybrid on the way.

Anyway, my concern is the low voltage cutoff on the nanoqx board leaves my batteries at like 3.8v or more. Seems like it's calibrated for the lower current draw of the smaller size of the nano qx.
bennymack is online now Find More Posts by bennymack