HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 09, 2012, 06:52 PM
Dixie Sky Devils AMA# 1015548
United States, MS, Tupelo
Joined Oct 2012
1,131 Posts
Discussion
Hyperion Sniper x II COG?

Put together a Sniper x II this weekend only to have crappy weather today when I was ready to maiden! but my question is where exactly is the CG on this plane? the instructions states,, balance on fingers, slightly nose down at 120mm-130mm behind leading edge of wing.. and in the picture right above this shows 135mm-145mm behind LE of wing?? which is it? I'm balancing pretty good with fingers on the carbon fiber spar, which is about 135mm BLE with a 2200mah 11.1v 3s around position in pic below. would like to know for sure before I cut a slot for pack in the fuse. If anyone has this plane and wants to share any tips before I fly if, feel free... I'm powering it with a eflite park 480 spinning a 11-4.7 SF prop? Thanks in advance....
tupeloflyer is offline Find More Posts by tupeloflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Sig New ARF 4 Star 64
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 09, 2012, 08:03 PM
Joined Sep 2010
3,898 Posts
I can't help with what the right measured cg is, but I find it best to start out with a bit nose heavy and adjust to taste. Your battery might be a bit on the heavy side though. Also, unless you just want to, you don't have to cut out the fuse for the battery. On my Hacker's I just put velcro on the stiffner and on side of fuse with corresponding velcro on two sides of bats with the battery standing on edge. Then I can move battery around depending on conditions or how I want it to fly. If I want to fly in windy conditions I move it forward a bit. I have marks for the different positions and can also use different batteries this way. Lighter batteries give a more floaty flight and heavier batteries penetrate wind better.
bobly is online now Find More Posts by bobly
Old Dec 09, 2012, 08:55 PM
Joined Oct 2012
1,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobly View Post
I can't help with what the right measured cg is, but I find it best to start out with a bit nose heavy and adjust to taste. Your battery might be a bit on the heavy side though. Also, unless you just want to, you don't have to cut out the fuse for the battery. On my Hacker's I just put velcro on the stiffner and on side of fuse with corresponding velcro on two sides of bats with the battery standing on edge. Then I can move battery around depending on conditions or how I want it to fly. If I want to fly in windy conditions I move it forward a bit. I have marks for the different positions and can also use different batteries this way. Lighter batteries give a more floaty flight and heavier batteries penetrate wind better.
Thanks! good idea, didn't think about putting velcro on stiffener too! yeah 2200mah might be a little heavy, but the next smallest I have is a 1300?? probably too small. the sniper x II is a big plane! 4ft ws and about 4ft long...
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 11, 2012, 03:57 PM
R/C Airplane Executioner
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2006
1,937 Posts
140mm is right, although the Sniper is forgiving to CG. They may have confused Sniper II cg with Sniper xII.
maiden-crash is offline Find More Posts by maiden-crash
Old Dec 13, 2012, 05:04 PM
Joined Oct 2012
1,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by maiden-crash View Post
140mm is right, although the Sniper is forgiving to CG. They may have confused Sniper II cg with Sniper xII.
maiden-crash! I watched your vid on youtube flying your sniper x II! wow! your good dude! I flew mine for first time today and it's sweet, but a little sluggish? wonder if the park 480 is enough or prop size is ok? 11-4.7 slow flyer? roll rate is lazy too? look for new thread sniper x II question, i'll post pics
RCG Plus Member