HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 28, 2013, 02:22 AM
ETS....Energy retention system
gold coast australia
Joined Aug 2008
5,375 Posts
Great picks Andrew.. Been a crazy few days in qld , and now in NSW..
I was in surface paradise this morning and the wind funneling between building was insane ....almost unbelievable compression.
At one stage we where stopped at the lights near the circle on cavil mantra building , the shape of it and the buildings around it created a massive funnel.
Us and 4 other cars in the traffic where stopped right in the middle of the funnel
At one stage , I though the car was going to tip over , bouncing around like people where rocking it back and forth out side.
I could see the subaru in front of us going up and down a few inches but in a rotating motion. Crazy... the van next to me had enough and drove down the median strip to get out of the funnel to safety , if not I'm sure he would have been on his side.
It was defiantly over 100 if not 150kph... It was very loud in the car..
Here is a pic of narrow neck at surfers.....
timbuck is online now Find More Posts by timbuck
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Gizmo 36 pics
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 28, 2013, 04:45 AM
DS= -$ & :-)
Byron Bay, Australia
Joined Feb 2006
3,036 Posts
What a crazy day. Andrew those pics of the gum trees down is exactly what a lot of our farm looks like. We have measured constant 50knots with gusts to 64knots the entire day and last night. Power only just came on after going off last night. Been out with the chainsaw for most of today. As the ground became saturated more and more trees down. A real PITA to clean things up but it could always be worse and we were lucky compared to others. Astan and his family farm have suffered a lot of damage today.

Watching all this wind over the last couple days has been frustrating. We just wanted to go ds'ing but the rain never stopped until about 20minutes before dark tonight. We could have surely taken AVB's Pintrees record. I feel like the worst of this system has passed us now, as it is blowing a lazy 40-53knots now. I bet it drops right off by morning.
Ezza is offline Find More Posts by Ezza
Old Jan 28, 2013, 05:07 AM
AvB
Wind, hill, ... I'm keen ...
Australia, QLD, Woody Point
Joined Nov 2006
4,494 Posts
Eric and Asto - really sorry to hear about the damage. Hard work you don't need. The kennels got hit by a high voltage surge (probably a high tension wire falling onto the street supply) that blew out all sorts of stuff. Unlike a lightning strike it kept frying so there's quite some damage and I have a big electrician bill and some expensive gear needing repair now. Some big tall old gum trees down too that busted fences etc so I'll also be out with the chainsaw tomorrow.

I was actually hoping to go to Larrikin today - I remember how you said it would be good to know if it worked in a strong NE. But the highway was closed due to flooding and the wind dropped and went more north so it was no go so I went to Shorncliffe.

I also have a Minima 2 DLG that I'm keen to sell if someone local wants it. It's a slightly beaten up Minima 2 that I bought as-new from Hutton who imports them. It flies absolutely beautifully and all the linkages and setup is excellent. It's light hollow moulded and I mushed the skin a couple of times and CA'ed it - stronger than new I think. A couple of tailboom repairs, done light and nice. D60's for aileron and D47's (I think) in the nose. I lost the canopy cover somehow so I now use a piece of stretchy tape over it! Ugly but effective. All-up-weight is 318gm. Asking $225. I built a homebrew so I don't need it.
AvB is online now Find More Posts by AvB
Old Jan 28, 2013, 03:01 PM
Joined Nov 2004
1,221 Posts
Sorry to hear a out the damage, hope everyone stays safe.
AUSELECTRIC is offline Find More Posts by AUSELECTRIC
Old Jan 28, 2013, 09:21 PM
AvB
Joined Nov 2006
4,494 Posts
Today:
Old Jan 29, 2013, 04:59 AM
Time to burn up some wind yo!
Palmwoods, QLD, Australia
Joined Jan 2009
1,272 Posts
bugger andrew, ezza and asto and annyone else affected, sounds like and looks like it was a hell of a time! timbo load up the focus with sandbags, shell be right!
AussieJarred is offline Find More Posts by AussieJarred
Old Jan 29, 2013, 06:42 AM
Just Stab It In
Bangalow,Australia
Joined Aug 2008
1,319 Posts
Had some major damage yesterday to 6 of our 11 hothouses. 3 totally destroyed. 1 was lifted and crushed. 2 had new crops in them and they were stripped. have to replant them. I nearly had a 150m shed built and it had a brand new cover on one side, but the steel beams were bent inwards just from the force of the wind.
Started pulling off old plastics and setting up for new today. Oh well thats farming. 1 step forward and 5 steps back.
airtimeasto is offline Find More Posts by airtimeasto
Old Jan 29, 2013, 12:19 PM
DS Addict
Christchurch, New Zealand
Joined Jul 2005
5,193 Posts
Ouch! That is not good news Asto =(
ALEX HEWSON is offline Find More Posts by ALEX HEWSON
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 07, 2013, 03:58 AM
AvB
Joined Nov 2006
4,494 Posts
Guys, James Hammond is hoping to visit Brisbane later this month, and has indicated that he'd be prepared to give a talk to a group of aeromodellers on how he designs planes and airfoils.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...09787&page=897

James designed all the RCRCM planes before parting ways with them, and is currently collaborating with Tony Fu (Sloperacer - UK) to design a range of new affordable sailplanes. The first of these, the Schwing, is already on the market and a small raft of other models is currently in development.

I'd be dead set keen to meet him and hear a bit of his story and tips. If you're keen, perhaps post your interest on this thread and if it goes ahead we can post the date and time here.

He's keen to have a fly up here too!
Old Feb 07, 2013, 04:12 AM
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Feb 2002
1,033 Posts
I'd be interested.
Geoff_S is online now Find More Posts by Geoff_S
Old Feb 07, 2013, 04:26 AM
Self confessed Aeroholic
Australia, QLD, Elimbah
Joined Jan 2005
1,452 Posts
+1 to that
Larrikin is offline Find More Posts by Larrikin
Old Feb 07, 2013, 06:04 AM
AvB
Joined Nov 2006
4,494 Posts
Dave it might be worth posting it as an MRSSA email ... I'm not subscribed.
Old Feb 08, 2013, 08:07 AM
Shane Spoor
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Sep 2006
374 Posts
Interested to meet Dr Hammond AVB
PlayinInTheParK is offline Find More Posts by PlayinInTheParK
Old Feb 08, 2013, 01:53 PM
Self confessed Aeroholic
Australia, QLD, Elimbah
Joined Jan 2005
1,452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvB View Post
Dave it might be worth posting it as an MRSSA email ... I'm not subscribed.
Done. Already have 4 or 5 keen (depending on the timing)
Larrikin is offline Find More Posts by Larrikin
Old Feb 08, 2013, 04:41 PM
AvB
Joined Nov 2006
4,494 Posts
James doesn't know precisely when he's gonna be here, due to variable timing of other work but he's keen and will advise ASAP.

Looks like a nice moderate easterly today. I'm guessing it will probably swing a bit NE and be OK for Shorncliffe. Nice at Maleny too.