HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by billpa, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Sep 07, 2012, 01:22 AM
Joined Aug 2012
23 Posts
Rudder movement

In 2d mode with 'Auto Turn Cordination' set to OFF, and 2D heading ON, if I yaw the plane and/or roll it there is no deflection of the rudder. Only Ailerons move. Is this correct?
simmons1a is offline Find More Posts by simmons1a
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 07, 2012, 05:46 AM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,386 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by simmons1a View Post
40%. I have set gear channel with mix1 on my dx6i so that I effectively have a three position setting available on for the gain input on the Guardian
Hmmm, my DX6i doesn't have 3 position switch. Does yours?
Prof100 is online now Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: A123 2S 2500 mah wiring diagram
Old Sep 07, 2012, 06:30 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,665 Posts
How to use two different two way switches to achive 2D / Off / 3D has been posted several times,problem is non of the How To's in this Thread are originazed.

I tried to place Trans. programing here but got a late start and no help to date.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1651
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Sep 07, 2012, 07:00 AM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,386 Posts
Master Gain -- a necessity or something to get bumped?

Quote:
Originally Posted by everydayflyer View Post
How to use two different two way switches to achive 2D / Off / 3D has been posted several times,problem is non of the How To's in this Thread are originazed.

I tried to place Trans. programing here but got a late start and no help to date.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1651
Charles,

Thanks, but the DX6i I use with one plane has mixes 2D-3D and off using the two position flap switch and an AUX switch for OFF. The DX7 and a AR500 required some creative programming to map the gear channel to the 3 position flap switch. I posted that earlier. My Aux 2 switch on my DX7 has been tasked to a safety switch or throttle kill because those APC props are really sharp. Each model uses the Aux 2 as a safety switch to disarm the motor until getting ready to fly. The DX6i is unique in that a throttle kill or safety is all but impossible to setup. I even tried adding a new switch to the radio and soldered it into the throttle kill button. It didn't work and I had to cut the wires to the switch. Anyway, the point I am trying to make is I like to keep things consistent from plane to plane on each radio I use.

MASTER GAIN implementation
I am missing a proportional knob of slider for remote master gain setting. Neither the DX6i or DX7 have any proportional switches. I know I can probably task another two position switch to have max gain and maybe 50% but with each radio - receiver - plane setup the task starts to result in a unique setup based on each plane's configuration. I really don't want to have a situation where on plane "A" the gear switch is used for master gain and on another (plane "B') the gear switch is used for retracts. Besides, adjusting gain while flying appears to me to be done only occasionally. Once the pots are set on the Guardian for plane stabilization I can't see the need for increasing or decreasing the gain except for the initial dialing in of the Guardian to suit a plane's unique configuration. Or if the capabiity somehow changed due to temperature or wear and tear on the mechanicals it might require less gain. If that happens I can turn the Guardian off, land the plane and adjust the pots. Besides, a slider or a knob can get bumped. So, I don't know if remote master gain is really necessary. It seems like a good idea but it's one more thing to go wrong.

Bill
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Prof100; Sep 07, 2012 at 08:42 AM.
Old Sep 07, 2012, 08:11 AM
Buffalos have wings
Vancouver Washington
Joined Nov 2007
2,046 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by simmons1a View Post
In 2d mode with 'Auto Turn Cordination' set to OFF, and 2D heading ON, if I yaw the plane and/or roll it there is no deflection of the rudder. Only Ailerons move. Is this correct?
That is what mine does in 2D also, yaw movement is counter-acted by aileron and very slight rudder movement........seems to fly fine though
Tatonka is online now Find More Posts by Tatonka
Old Sep 07, 2012, 06:45 PM
Joined Aug 2012
23 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatonka View Post
That is what mine does in 2D also, yaw movement is counter-acted by aileron and very slight rudder movement........seems to fly fine though
OK. Seems the same, if I whack the gain up to full, I get small rudder deflections in 2D mode. Again, seems to work fine, so best leave alone!
simmons1a is offline Find More Posts by simmons1a
Old Sep 08, 2012, 06:34 PM
Australia, NSW, Windsor
Joined Apr 2006
674 Posts
Nothing Short of Amazing

Sydney has been experiencing some really wild wild weather the last 2 days with very strong winds, the kind that rip roofs of houses, damage structures etc.

So, really wanting to fly and with a weather forecast that said the winds would die down on Saturday afternoon to around 25kph I grabbed my Align Trex 500 heli and my E-Flight Apprentice trainer with Guardian installed and headed out the HMAS club field at Vinyard.
(they lied, the winds actually got no better).

Arrived to find only 5 guys sitting around talking and no flying because of the strong winds though Leon did do a short flight with big (read heavy) Trex 700 electric heli.

I just knew this was going to be the ultimate Guardian test day.

Go the Apprentice out of the car and struggled to fit the main wing with the gusting wings and fit a 3300 battery, quick control check and that switches on my DX7s were set right pre-flight.

Fight to carry the a/c to the flight line, fortunately the wind was nearly straight down the main strip. Take off run was probably less than 1 metre (a yard) with 75% power applied and Guardian in 2D mode, climb away, wings rock quite violently but it's flying, get to maybe 50' and select 3D mode.

While the a/c is still being rocked and thrown around the sky it is actually flyable, and actually fun in a kind of perverted way,

Spend the next 25 minutes making lots of circuits, hairy landings. On probably 5 landing as the a/c came to rest wind gusts got under one wing or another and flipped the a/c on it's back because I could get to it to hold it down, that's the kind of day it was.

I am so impressed with how well the Guardian works in such horrific conditions, its is nothing short of amazing and while the guys thought I was nuts to attempt to fly a big high wing foamy in such conditions and seemed sure I would be taking it home in pieces to rebuild the aircraft survived the day, I had the biggest grin on my face and could not help but recommend the device. My only regret is that there is no video to show how rough it was.
Corona44 is offline Find More Posts by Corona44
Old Sep 08, 2012, 06:43 PM
United States, MI, Clarkston
Joined Apr 2007
80 Posts
I have read this Forum's responses to the micro USB type B cable problems, but I still am having a problem trying to insert this type cable into the Guardian unit.

I have 2 micro USB type B that work in my phone and e-reader. Neither will plug into the Guardian unit.

So,I went to Best Buy and bought another one. This also will not plug into the Guardian unit.

Looking closely into the USB receptacle of the Guardian unit, I can see a little tab at the lower right hand corner projecting up from the bottom of the receptacle case that appears to stop the external USB cable from entering past this projection to be able to engage the electrical tab of the Guardian USB receptacle.

Is this little tab supposed to be there? Is there a cable that has a notch in it to allow the plug to fully enter and engage the inner receptacle electrical connection? Is this interfering tab a manufacturing/assembly error and my unit has to be returned for a proper functioning USB receptacle assembly?

Thank you,

William
gritty is offline Find More Posts by gritty
Old Sep 08, 2012, 07:28 PM
Money Shot
United States, CA, Lakeside
Joined Apr 2010
904 Posts
no, somethings wrong. can it be pressed down or trimmed out? the picture is so blurry big i can't tell if it's something folded from the metal outer part or a piece of solder or something like that
Kloner is offline Find More Posts by Kloner
Old Sep 08, 2012, 07:41 PM
florida
Joined Nov 2002
178 Posts
The eagletree website lists the cable as a micro "B" cable. Could yours be different? I don't think my "B" micro would fit but mine won't arrive till friday to try. There is a good picture of it on the HobbyKing site and I don't see the tab in that picture. I can see a small piece of metal but it looks like it gives tension to the micro B to hold it in place when inserted. Yours looks different.
flightdeck is offline Find More Posts by flightdeck
Last edited by flightdeck; Sep 08, 2012 at 07:50 PM.
Old Sep 08, 2012, 08:28 PM
Falcon's rc
USA, GA, Byron
Joined Apr 2009
232 Posts
my doesn't have the tab and I'm using the micro USB from my cellphone it may be a small manufacturing defect
DanielMadrigal is online now Find More Posts by DanielMadrigal
Old Sep 08, 2012, 08:31 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,386 Posts
I have four Guardians and they all look like the picture I attached below. I am using a micro USB that works with my HTC Thunderbolt Android and my wife's Kindle fire.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Prof100; Sep 08, 2012 at 08:44 PM.
Old Sep 08, 2012, 08:35 PM
Money Shot
United States, CA, Lakeside
Joined Apr 2010
904 Posts
his doesn't look like one of them tabs to teh side is lifted up

These are the same cables as a htc phone or a dji naza/wookong
Kloner is offline Find More Posts by Kloner
Old Sep 08, 2012, 10:24 PM
United States, MI, Clarkston
Joined Apr 2007
80 Posts
Sorry about the blurry image. Took a couple more.

Picture 1 shows left inner side of the USB receptacle and there is no interference (tab) to prevent the USB cable to be inserted.

Picture 2 shows an interference (tab) that prevents the USB cable to be inserted fully. Looking a little closer to the outer area at the right side of the receptacle appears to be a blob of some sort that lines up with the interfering item immediately inside the receptacle. Does not look like solder, but may be as there are 2 open slots (on each side of the receptacle) and the right side exterior looks like a solder blob at the attachment to the pc board.

Does this show up better?

Left click on these pictures to enlarge them for better viewing.
gritty is offline Find More Posts by gritty
Old Sep 08, 2012, 10:34 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,386 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gritty View Post
Sorry about the blurry image. Took a couple more.

Picture 1 shows left inner side of the USB receptacle and there is no interference (tab) to prevent the USB cable to be inserted.

Picture 2 shows an interference (tab) that prevents the USB cable to be inserted fully. Looking a little closer to the outer area at the right side of the receptacle appears to be a blob of some sort that lines up with the interfering item immediately inside the receptacle. Does not look like solder, but may be as there are 2 open slots (on each side of the receptacle) and the right side exterior looks like a solder blob at the attachment to the pc board.

Does this show up better?

Left click on these pictures to enlarge them for better viewing.
I did enlarge them. Can you get in there with small jewelers screwdriver and break that little honker loose? If not, send it back to Eagletree.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: A123 2S 2500 mah wiring diagram