SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 10, 2014, 04:56 AM
Joined Dec 2014
1 Posts
Discussion
How to pick a transmitter?

My brother is getting my husband a quadcopter (Hobbypower X525) for Christmas. I know absolutely nothing about them, but was told it needs a transmitter. How do I know if a transmitter will be compatible?
What's a great transmitter for a first-time RC builder?
Would the NEEWER theŽ FS-T6 work?
Thanks!
laNap is offline Find More Posts by laNap
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 10, 2014, 06:44 AM
Letchworth, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jul 2004
11,999 Posts
Welcome to the forum

The Hobbypower X525 comes as a bare frame kit, with no motors or controllers, but some suppliers bundle it up with motors and other bits needed to make it work, like this one here.

But, as you say, even the almost-complete one needs the user to add a transmitter and receiver, and a battery. That's because many users will already have RC radio gear which can be used with the quad.

Whatever transmitter you get, you need to get the compatible receiver. The FS-T6 will certainly work with the quad, but I haven't used that brand so can't really comment. Another brand to look at, which is very popular in the RC fraternity, is Spektrum -- the DX6i is a good one if your husband is likely to progress to other RC models, but their entry-level DX5e will also work with the quad, but has less features.
abenn is offline Find More Posts by abenn
Old Dec 10, 2014, 07:58 AM
Look out below
United States, OR, McMinnville
Joined Aug 2011
1,481 Posts
^^ abenn is right the T-6 or Dx6 will be fine. Its hard to buy for someone else because you don't know how far they want to get into the hobby. Some things need more channels then the 6 that come with those.
mcnowhere is offline Find More Posts by mcnowhere
Old Dec 10, 2014, 11:04 AM
Y=C+I+G
United States, CA, Rosemead
Joined Jan 2012
9,023 Posts
this may help too: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1801792
cmdl is online now Find More Posts by cmdl
Old Dec 10, 2014, 01:26 PM
yank and bank!!
Joined May 2013
2,455 Posts
There are many brands of radios..... futaba, hitec, spektrum, tactic, JR, flysky, orange, etc. They all have their loyal followings for various reasons.

You can either do a lot of research and know WHY your choice suits you, or you can just trust "some guy".
failboat is online now Find More Posts by failboat
Old Dec 12, 2014, 07:02 AM
serial scratchbuilder
Canada, BC, Mission
Joined Sep 2012
1,386 Posts
Does your brother build/fly quads? If not this could be a frustrating endeavour for all involved. A DIY quad requires a lot of set-up and tuning and might not be the best choice for a novice, plus there are a few hidden costs like batteries, charger, building supplies and tools, etc. A first-time flyer might be better suited to a ready-to-fly quad that comes with everything in one box, especially if you don't know how he'll recieve the hobby.
Granted is offline Find More Posts by Granted