HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 19, 2014, 10:32 PM
United States, VA, Fredericksburg
Joined Mar 2013
311 Posts
Build Log
Scale Build-Off 4 Peter Rake/Manzano Laser 36" Spad XIII

And now for something completely different! I cleaned my workshop and vacuumed all the dust and put away all the tools and boy, does it look lonely!
My wife bought me the Spad XIII for my birthday last year, and I've spent the time since then developing my build skills and piloting skills. I'm not great by anyone's standards but I think I'm ready to start this build. I plan on taking my time and trying to get it just the way I want it.
I've sorted the parts and I've already got a few questions. The spars on the wings aren't labeled. Are they the balsa 1/8x3/8 sticks? I also have a few 1/8x3/8 bass wood sticks, but only enough to do one wing.
I have a few Turnigy 5 gram servos, will these be adequate for the ailerons?
What is a good brushless power system for this plane? I have a couple 2826 motors, one 1900KV and the other 1400KV. Both of these strike me as a little too much for the SPAD. Would a Parkzone 400 or 450 be a better choice?

Joe
Yoyocafe is offline Find More Posts by Yoyocafe
Last edited by Yoyocafe; Oct 15, 2014 at 07:28 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 20, 2014, 05:44 AM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,781 Posts
Joe,
Never having seen one, I've no idea what actually comes with the kit as regards strip wood. However, generally if it isn't specifically labelled as something else, it's balsa. In the case of spars it should be HARD balsa. If the balsa you have isn't hard (especially for the top wing) using bass would be a good idea. Unless Charlie has changed something here it should be a continuous, unbraced spar in that wing so must be hard.

Your 5 gram servos should be fine, as long as they fit into the wing. They're only moving one not particularly large aileron each and you don't need huge amounts of throw but do make sure they're reliable before fitting them to the wing. They're pretty much a permanent fixture once the wing is covered so must be reliable. You'll probably need to fit them to the rib before fitting the rib to the wing so it may be best to fit that rib, complete with servo and output arm after you have the main wing built and sanded.

A 2826 (depending on the brand) is likely to be far too much motor for this model (The 52" Albatros DXI only shows an AXI 2820). An E-flite Park 450 on 2S would be about right in my opinion and leave you power in reserve.

Pete
PETERRAKE is offline Find More Posts by PETERRAKE
Old Sep 20, 2014, 03:23 PM
Canada, ON, Haldimand
Joined Apr 2004
114 Posts
Here are some picts of my partially finished one plus a test of the covering (litespan) on an aileron.
It really is a very nice kit to put together and I have to admit I've spent a good few hours just looking at it. All those ribs!
I have 5g servo's and a geared 400 for it, hoping that should be adequate.
I included a shot of how I formed the gun troughs for you, it worked out very well.

Looking forward to seeing your progress.
colinr is offline Find More Posts by colinr
Old Sep 20, 2014, 06:33 PM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,922 Posts
Joe,

You are correct, you are short two pieces of 1/8x3/8 bass. Not sure how my parts count got screwed up, but, it is.

We can send you the two sticks if you want, or you can buy a single 36" stick so you don't have to splice the top wing spar.

I apologize for the mixup.

charlie

PS please use bass or spruce for the spars. The balsa sticks we provide are usually not hard enough for spars.
portablevcb is offline Find More Posts by portablevcb
Old Sep 20, 2014, 06:37 PM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,922 Posts
Colin,

Nice job!

Do you have the 6V or 7.2V Sp400 motor? I liked the 7.2V motors run on a 3s LiPo and picked a prop to draw under 9A. You can go for more but the motor will burn out quickly. If you stick to 8-9A they last a long time and give decent thrust.

If you have a 6V motor then you will be limited to 2s LiPo. Don't know how that will do.

charlie
Old Sep 20, 2014, 07:42 PM
Canada, ON, Haldimand
Joined Apr 2004
114 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by portablevcb View Post
Colin,

Nice job!

Do you have the 6V or 7.2V Sp400 motor? I liked the 7.2V motors run on a 3s LiPo and picked a prop to draw under 9A. You can go for more but the motor will burn out quickly. If you stick to 8-9A they last a long time and give decent thrust.

If you have a 6V motor then you will be limited to 2s LiPo. Don't know how that will do.

charlie
hey thanks!
i have the 7.2v graupner with the supplied gearbox.
Old Sep 20, 2014, 09:09 PM
Joined Mar 2013
311 Posts
Thanks everyone for your replies. Colin, that is a pretty SPAD!
Charlie, when Peter said that the spars were balsa unless marked, I built the lower wings with balsa spars. I don't suppose there are ways to harden the balsa,(soak it in thin CA?) or do you sell wing kits for this plane?

Joe
Old Sep 21, 2014, 04:50 AM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,781 Posts
Joe,
But I did stress HARD balsa for spars.
As long as those lower wing spars aren't too soft they should be okay. Just make sure the top wing spars are bass and that the struts brace one set securely against the other - and avoid slamming a wingtip onto the ground when you land.
With a wing as well braced as this one using bass for the lower wing spars isn't really essential. It's nice, and does strengthen them, but it isn't essential. Your brushless/LiPo powered model will almost certainly end up lighter than the brushed/round cell equipped prototype model so you should be okay. Just don't use too much power or you could find yourself with a parasol monoplane. Interesting, but not particularly scale.

Pete
Old Sep 21, 2014, 07:18 AM
Joined Mar 2013
311 Posts
Thanks Pete, I did use the hardest balsa in the kit. I was thinking of fixes to make the spar stronger and I may run a small piece of carbon fiber tube next to the spars and CA it in place. That should make it stronger but not add too much weight. I have the bass spar for the top. Live and learn...
I have another question, the plans for the top wing are in 3 pieces. I cut them out and laid them side by side so I can build the wing as one piece. Does R1T butt directly to R4T? It looks like it has to, but I don't want to make another silly mistake

Joe
Old Sep 21, 2014, 03:54 PM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,781 Posts
Joe,
Yes mate, those two ribs butt together. It means that if you don't have a board long enough to build a one-piece wing you can build three parts and join them onto the spar.

Pete
Old Sep 21, 2014, 06:27 PM
Joined Mar 2013
311 Posts
Lower wings

Thanks Pete! I figured that was the case, but I wanted to make sure. I've posted some pictures of the lower wing going assembly. Just for my own peace of mind, decided to get a couple pieces of carbon fiber strip to stiffen the spars up. .101 grams per inch, total weight added 3.03 grams or 0.10688 ounces. I mounted it to the front of the spar to throw what little weight it added to the front of the plane. The wing has very little flex in it now.

Joe
Old Sep 24, 2014, 11:28 AM
Joined Mar 2013
311 Posts
Colin,

I've been away from this build for a little bit, but last night I was looking over the thread and my wife saw the picture of your SPAD. She said "Is that what it is going to look like when it's built? WOW"

I can only hope that I can make mine look as good!

Joe
Old Sep 24, 2014, 11:54 AM
Canada, ON, Haldimand
Joined Apr 2004
114 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoyocafe View Post
Colin,

I've been away from this build for a little bit, but last night I was looking over the thread and my wife saw the picture of your SPAD. She said "Is that what it is going to look like when it's built? WOW"

I can only hope that I can make mine look as good!

Joe
Hey Thanks so much! [wife approval is always a good thing!... especially in my house when it comes to planes ]

If you want I'll take some pictures of my wing covering and how I did the undercarriage for you.
Mine has been done almost entirely with wood glue as well. Non toxic and easy to work with. CA gives me a wicked headache.

It's been a really nice build so far and despite the mass of ribs and stringers you get with these planes and the drying time of the wood glue (overnight usually for me) it goes together pretty fast.

Your posts have inspired me to finish it off. It's been in a box for just over a year, in between two house moves from one side of the country and back again.... and it's still undamaged!
Old Sep 24, 2014, 12:00 PM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,922 Posts
Glad to see others infected with the SPAD

I still love my larger one after all these years. It will get back up and flying after the balloon fiesta here is over (stupid balloons ).

charlie
Old Sep 25, 2014, 06:57 AM
Joined Mar 2013
311 Posts
Manzano Laser - BEST CUSTOMER SERVICE EVER!

I felt that I had followed the instructions but obviously there was some confusion. I kept testing the lower wings, even with my fix they are still kinda bendy and it bothered me. I emailed Charlie asking if I could buy a wing kit. He doesn't make wing kits because the parts aren't separated for the wings, so he is shipping me another kit!

He volunteered this, He said "I just know that when I don't have confidence in a build I don't like to fly the plane. So, better to build it the way you like it rather than take a chance."

This kind of customer service is impossible to find, I am soooo happy with this SPAD!

Thanks Charlie!

Joe