HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 23, 2014, 05:05 AM
Per aspera ad astra
Joined Feb 2014
45 Posts
Help!
Quad does not take-off anymore :-(

Will tell you things the way they unfolded without trying to draw conclusions.

Yesterday I wanted to go flying, day was windy and I tried a grass patch I never tried before. When I tried to take off I saw the grass was VERY high and even though I had flattened a patch the blades kept hitting grass around it cause the wind gusts tended to move the quad laterally.

I therefore decided I should take off very quickly and then level when clear of the grass. Boy oh boy was that a stupid idea for a newb like me :-(

The quad lifted up in the air so damn quickly and I must have overreacted on all sticks and in a literal blink of the eye I saw the quad performing at least a 360 degrees roll/flip in and then speed down diagonally towards me like a laser beam, thanks to ninja reflexes I ducked and the quad thumped on the thick grass a few meters behind me.

Thankfully the grass was so thick and soft that there were no apparent damages to anything, blades intact, all connectors in place. When I got to the quad and looked at the KK's display I saw the auto-level was OFF !!! Never flew without it and it must have been the little DX6 lever having switched during transport. Another pre-flight check to add to the list !

Went back home and decided to try swapping the 9047 blades with a set of new 8045. After I did I tried taking off gently indoors and even at full throttle the quad does not lift :-(

I thought it could be because of the less powerful propellers (even though with the 4x9047 at 750 grams in flight with the Turnigy Aerodrive D2830/11 1000KV 30A ESCs and 1800 or 2200 mAh 3S 25-50 batt I have the little quad usually has so much speed/power) so put back the original 4x9047 but DAMN still the quad does not take off. It barely wobbles as almost there and drifts around the floor responding to the pitch/roll/yaw inputs correctly !!!!

Here's the things I checked. Board is KK 2.0 with 1.6 fw.

The CW and CCW blades are on the expected motors and they are spinning in the right direction.
Receiver test shows totally correct values.
Tried sensors test: all OK
Tried accelerometers calibration. OK
Tried ESC calibration.

I should add that I had a crash a few days ago and one of the 4 arms is slightly bent with the tips of the 9047 props flying closer to each other on ones rotational side, but I have flown 3 times after that without apparent problems (it was because of that I had decided to try the 8045)

I have exhausted ideas of what I could try. Thanks in advance for any help !
rjalex is offline Find More Posts by rjalex
Last edited by rjalex; Mar 23, 2014 at 07:50 AM. Reason: several typos
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 23, 2014, 10:08 AM
RC pilot by soul
Israel
Joined Apr 2005
2,529 Posts
bad / discharged battery perhaps?
i3dm is offline Find More Posts by i3dm
Old Mar 23, 2014, 11:41 AM
Per aspera ad astra
Joined Feb 2014
45 Posts
I wish it was :-) Good point but I have flown on a NEW 2200 3S nano-tech turnigy and also on the two very new (5 cycles each) other 1800 nano-tech I use routinely and check the voltage with the usual buzzer. They all were 12.5 at the start and even now after many trials the batt still holds a good 3.7 per cell :-(
Thanks for the help.
Old Mar 23, 2014, 12:16 PM
Canada, ON, London
Joined Mar 2013
298 Posts
Props are on wrong. Make sure the props are not on unside down and they are turning the correct direction. Try a esc calibration, remember to take the props off when doing it. Check the screen and make sure it shows you are getting 100 percent throttle.
Madhampster is online now Find More Posts by Madhampster
Old Mar 23, 2014, 12:28 PM
Per aspera ad astra
Joined Feb 2014
45 Posts
Madhamspter you are a saint and a genius and I stand ashamed :-) I had figured out the CW and CCW-iseness of the props allright and also had decided that there wasn't an up or down way of putting them on since they always came up CW or CCW.
After reading your warning (and not believing it eh eh eh) I noticed only one of the three props had the little "gemfan" logo with the size on top and so I put the other three in the same way and YAY YIPPIE the bird flyis again !!!
Thanks ! :-) Will now also try the 8045 props and probably it was just the same stupid mistake.
Old Mar 23, 2014, 03:09 PM
Canada, ON, London
Joined Mar 2013
298 Posts
Glad I could help.
I have the same motors and they work great on my quad with 8 inch props. I have the Kk2.0 board on it and I found the 8 inch ones worked better then the 9 inch props.
Old Mar 23, 2014, 03:39 PM
Per aspera ad astra
Joined Feb 2014
45 Posts
That's why I wanted to try the 8045 instead of the current 9047 ! What's the weight of your quad ? What batteries are you using ?
Thanks
Old Mar 23, 2014, 04:44 PM
Canada, ON, London
Joined Mar 2013
298 Posts
I have a large 4500 battery, fpv gear and gps. I don't know the weight but I would not want to be hit by it. LOL