SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 03, 2013, 01:50 PM
Joined Oct 2013
2 Posts
Discussion
new to footy's

I'm new to rc sailing and I have a few questions.
IM building one from a door skin and was wondering how tall the mast should be. All parts I want to make myself,I was going to make the mast from bamboo wrapped with butcher twine. I was wondering about what type of sail setup I should use. and lastly how to set up the servos. Any help would be appreciated. thank you all for a wonderful forum.
terry c is offline Find More Posts by terry c
Last edited by terry c; Oct 03, 2013 at 02:00 PM. Reason: misspellings
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 03, 2013, 03:09 PM
RC Newbie with lots of ideas
Chile, Santiago Metropolitan Region, Stgo
Joined Dec 2012
326 Posts
Take a look at my work on Footy's here. Bottom pictures show the build process:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/thomasa...7634084768525/

If you need help/info/measurements please ask me here.
tarmstro is offline Find More Posts by tarmstro
Old Oct 03, 2013, 04:28 PM
Joined Oct 2013
2 Posts
thanks for the very nice pics that helps me with the servo set up, I'm still not sure about the mast and boom
terry c is offline Find More Posts by terry c
Old Oct 03, 2013, 08:31 PM
RC Newbie with lots of ideas
Chile, Santiago Metropolitan Region, Stgo
Joined Dec 2012
326 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by terry c View Post
thanks for the very nice pics that helps me with the servo set up, I'm still not sure about the mast and boom
My mast is made from 3mm carbon fiber rods (solid, not tubes!). The z-wire is made from a bicycle wheel wire, bent in anglesand cut to lenght.

I attached the rods to the wire using some strong synthetic string, glued toghetes with AC-glue, and then some thermo-contractible plastic for protection and finish.
tarmstro is offline Find More Posts by tarmstro
Old Oct 04, 2013, 04:54 AM
Joined Sep 2013
33 Posts
I would have a look at the wealth of Footy related info at:
http://www.sailfootyuk.com
If you look under the 'Footy Types' and 'How to' tabs there is a range of tips covering hulls and rigs.
Phil 42 is offline Find More Posts by Phil 42
Old Oct 04, 2013, 05:25 AM
Joined Sep 2013
33 Posts
Sorry, forgot to mention in the other post :
My home made 'una' rigs for SUI 42 are constructed from:
4mm dia carbon tube for the mast and aft boom section
5mm dia Alu tube for forward boom section
3mm Alu tube for the mast stub and mast pivot
3mm Alu rod turned on a lathe for the pivot point. Even a short pice cut from a paper clip and rounded at one end will do fine and is much easier.
Larger sails use 23 micron film and smaller sails use 36 micron film
A max mast length of 750mm and a total boom length of 420mm forms the basis of my largest sail which fits the experimental rig template used in the UK to limit max sail size for regattas.
For more general cruising, a mast of 600ish mm and a total boom length of 340ish mm would probably be more appropriate.
Phil 42 is offline Find More Posts by Phil 42
Last edited by Phil 42; Oct 04, 2013 at 05:29 AM. Reason: 2nd post submitted arrived on the forum before 1st post !
Old Oct 04, 2013, 07:52 PM
0.9g retracts
3" from insanity, 2' from the computer ,Richford, Tioga county, Southern Tier, New York, U.S., North American Continent, Northern hemisphere, Earth, The Sol System, Milkyway Galaxy, The Universe, The Current Dimension, Your Selected Realm of Reality.
Joined Dec 2006
1,946 Posts
I make my masts from 1/4-3/8" spruce depending on the size, and the booms from 1/8-3/16". As far a height, it really depends on what type of rig you want, I've done everything from 12- 22"; cat boats, modern sloops, and gaff rigged cutters.

A few threads of mine, covering my first foray into footys through one of my later documented builds.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1032755

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1104210

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1143513

I'm also hoping this winter to do a co-build thread on a pair of boats with my fiancee, mine will be a mostly scale Cape Henry 21 with a gaff rig, or something similar if I change my mind.
Yellow Baron is offline Find More Posts by Yellow Baron