HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 07, 2014, 11:12 AM
Open the bay doors... HAL
United States, OH, Mentor
Joined Jun 2013
592 Posts
Hi everyone,

I'm new to this thread and would like to ask some very basic questions....

1. Is using the Mobius as a video source (for an FPV downlink), just a matter of connecting a Mini-USB cable between the camera and the Vtx?
2. Is there a way to supply both power to the Mobius AND a communication path for an FPV video downlink using a single Mini-USB cable?
3. Will the Mobius record to its memory card automatically while its also acting as video source for FPV or must I change some camera setting to accomplish this?
4. I'm also going to install the new HK Turnigy 2D Mobius gimbal in the future. Are there any "gotcha's" I should know about if I do this? I'm assuming the only thing that might be a problem is finding a USB cable that won't interfere with how the gimbal operates.,

SORRY for the "1,000" questions...

Thanks very much for any help.... I'm going to try and work my way through all the posts on this thread to get some feeling for the best way to setup my system.
DJI27 is online now Find More Posts by DJI27
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 07, 2014, 11:54 AM
Joined Mar 2014
51 Posts
Hello DJI27 ! I have excellent camera ( Mobius A lens ) and now I am preparing for a list of needs for a FPV setup . I will use Mobius as a video feed too . I know the cons ( lag of transmission ,etc ) but in the future I would by another cam for this purpose ( Sony 600 or 800 would be the best ) . I am a DJI Phantom 1.1.1 with stock Tx , without gimbal ,just with a very efficacious DIY antijello . I know that Mobius can be used for recording and video feed same time . Do you have same drone or another kind ? What is your FPV setup ?
maccardiolog is offline Find More Posts by maccardiolog
Old Dec 07, 2014, 01:32 PM
Joined May 2010
1,035 Posts
Would love to see more actual downlink video from the mobius .
Deadstick 8409 is online now Find More Posts by Deadstick 8409
Old Dec 07, 2014, 06:00 PM
Learning to crash
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined May 2014
488 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJI27 View Post
Hi everyone,

I'm new to this thread and would like to ask some very basic questions....

1. Is using the Mobius as a video source (for an FPV downlink), just a matter of connecting a Mini-USB cable between the camera and the Vtx?
2. Is there a way to supply both power to the Mobius AND a communication path for an FPV video downlink using a single Mini-USB cable?
3. Will the Mobius record to its memory card automatically while its also acting as video source for FPV or must I change some camera setting to accomplish this?
4. I'm also going to install the new HK Turnigy 2D Mobius gimbal in the future. Are there any "gotcha's" I should know about if I do this? I'm assuming the only thing that might be a problem is finding a USB cable that won't interfere with how the gimbal operates.,

SORRY for the "1,000" questions...

Thanks very much for any help.... I'm going to try and work my way through all the posts on this thread to get some feeling for the best way to setup my system.
1. Yes, you can use your Mobius for FPV. Some say it introduces some lag (100ms +/-). But I dont notice it when I'm flying with mine. But I dont go around dodging tress too much yet either. For open field flying I find it works just fine.
2. I'm using this cable from RMRC. Nice flexible wires, and can plug right into an ImmersionRC vtx. Theres also one just below that link that has servo connectors already on it, your choice. You have to be careful with the input voltage on the Mobius so it doesnt exceed 5.0 volts/1 amp max or it can fry the unit. If you get the V3 mobius, it has over voltage protection, but even then it can cause the camera to shut down and thats never a good thing if your flying FPV with it. A good adjustable voltage regulator is suggested.
3. Yes, it will record to the micro SDcard while flying FPV. It is suggested to record and fly in the 720/60fps mode, and not in the 1080/30fps mode.
4. Not sure on #4. But I think it would be wise to stap a rubber band around the Mobius including the USB connector as it doesnt fit that snug to begin with. I dont know if the cable will clear the back of the Turnigy gimbal though. It's plenty flexible though. Almost ordered one of the gimbals last week, but decided to hold out for another model thats hopefully coming out soon from a guy in the Mobius gimbal thread in the Arial Photography sub forum on here.

Heres one of my first flights with my Mobius. Jello city, but I'm working on solving that now. Whats strange is I dont remember seeing that much jello when I was flying. Only really noticed it once I got home and watched the video.

REC 0003 (11 min 26 sec)
Tom T is online now Find More Posts by Tom T
Last edited by Tom T; Dec 07, 2014 at 06:13 PM.
Old Dec 07, 2014, 06:32 PM
Joined Apr 2014
112 Posts
Hello, I have been using my mobius for FPV feed for a while now.
im going to start by saying it seems various cables relate to lag time. the first one i purchased ( http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...Cable_Set.html ) had a noticeable lag. due to a severe crash (please note, the mobius survived, the cable did not), i had to replace it. to overcome space issues (the way the usb cable came out of the mobius), i opted for this cable ( http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store..._Charging.html ).

i instantly noticed there was no lag with this one. also, it powered the camera, with no messing around.

hope that was of some help
Tas sky pirates is online now Find More Posts by Tas sky pirates
Old Dec 08, 2014, 03:05 AM
United States, CO, Fort Collins
Joined Apr 2011
54 Posts
Why does my Mobius change colors like this? It seems like it resets to "blue and dark" every time I start a recording, then eventually looks nice, bright and normal...

Here is a video showing this effect:

Mobius Fade Issue (0 min 11 sec)
Zyclopse is online now Find More Posts by Zyclopse
Old Dec 08, 2014, 11:19 AM
Joined Jun 2013
592 Posts
Tom T and Tas sky pirates
... thanks for quick answers; I appreciate the help.
... the ink wasn't even dry on my posted questions and answers were already there..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom T View Post
1. Yes, you can use your Mobius for FPV. Some say it introduces some lag (100ms +/-). But I dont notice it when I'm flying with mine. But I dont go around dodging tress too much yet either. For open field flying I find it works just fine.
2. I'm using this cable from RMRC. Nice flexible wires, and can plug right into an ImmersionRC vtx. Theres also one just below that link that has servo connectors already on it, your choice. You have to be careful with the input voltage on the Mobius so it doesnt exceed 5.0 volts/1 amp max or it can fry the unit. If you get the V3 mobius, it has over voltage protection, but even then it can cause the camera to shut down and thats never a good thing if your flying FPV with it. A good adjustable voltage regulator is suggested.
3. Yes, it will record to the micro SDcard while flying FPV. It is suggested to record and fly in the 720/60fps mode, and not in the 1080/30fps mode.
4. Not sure on #4. But I think it would be wise to stap a rubber band around the Mobius including the USB connector as it doesnt fit that snug to begin with. I dont know if the cable will clear the back of the Turnigy gimbal though. It's plenty flexible though. Almost ordered one of the gimbals last week, but decided to hold out for another model thats hopefully coming out soon from a guy in the Mobius gimbal thread in the Arial Photography sub forum on here.

Heres one of my first flights with my Mobius. Jello city, but I'm working on solving that now. Whats strange is I dont remember seeing that much jello when I was flying. Only really noticed it once I got home and watched the video.

http://youtu.be/bLqQHz6Z8f8
I can live with a "100ms" lag... I doubt my (or most other) reaction times are quicker than that anyway. By the time I thought OH NO, the tree would have probably already said hello anyway ...

I took a look at your cable and it might be a good fit for my gimbal. Wish it weren't so high priced... will have to think about it...

I follow most of the Mobius threads but am still puzzled how someone can accidentally input more tham 5 volts into the camera. ??? Your voltage regulator looks like a good idea but I don't remember anyone on the other Mobius threads recommending this kind of protection. Which regulator do you use?

Thanks for confirming that the Mobius can record and transmit video simultaneously. Your recommendation about using the 720/60 FPS mode will work out beautifully for me because all my AV is in that mode to avoid fisheye distortion anyway.

I think I know which alternate Mobius gimbal you're referring to. I like its design but the high cost of the new light weight gimbal motors it uses are a big downside for me. Maybe in time they'll come down in price.

Watched your video ... I see the jello but its minimal and probably due to just a marginally dampened connection point. I've played with several simple ways to eliminate jello and eventually found the right combination to get jello free AV. If you'd like a 2nd pair of eyes to look at your setup and maybe make some recommendations, post (or PM) several photos of your setup and I'll get back to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tas sky pirates View Post
Hello, I have been using my mobius for FPV feed for a while now.im going to start by saying it seems various cables relate to lag time. the first one i purchased ( http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...Cable_Set.html ) had a noticeable lag. due to a severe crash (please note, the mobius survived, the cable did not), i had to replace it. to overcome space issues (the way the usb cable came out of the mobius), i opted for this cable ( http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store..._Charging.html ).

i instantly noticed there was no lag with this one. also, it powered the camera, with no messing around.

hope that was of some help
Very interesting that different cables have such different lag times. I can't think of one reason of what would cause that. To me a cable would either be 100% good (i.e. no lag) or 100% bad (ALL lag i.e. no signal).

I looked at the cable you recommended and it looks like it might work with the gimbal I'm using. The 90 degree connector maybe too long but for that price it wouldn't hurt to order one and try it out. Others using the HK Turnigy Mobius 2D gimbal have said they've had to remove/modify the connector to keep it from interferring with the gimbal... time to find out.

Thanks again guys for the feedback...
Old Dec 08, 2014, 11:41 AM
Hungary EU
Joined May 2007
2,745 Posts
Very cool gimbal!

By the way after using the Mobius as FPV camera for months I can say it is totally UNUSABLE as FPV camera! And NOT because of the delay (I didn't feel it too serious), it is because the lame dynamic wide range handling is crap, it can't handle the light very well...when you can see the sky then the ground is too dark and can't see the details.
bulesz is offline Find More Posts by bulesz
Old Dec 08, 2014, 11:50 AM
Learning to crash
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined May 2014
488 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJI27 View Post
I follow most of the Mobius threads but am still puzzled how someone can accidentally input more tham 5 volts into the camera. ??? Your voltage regulator looks like a good idea but I don't remember anyone on the other Mobius threads recommending this kind of protection. Which regulator do you use?
I personally dont use a separate regulator. It is a recommendation I read on the forum here. I am powering/charging my mobius through my Vector flight controllers regulated 5v out. And the cable is 9 bucks man, c'mon.
Tom T is online now Find More Posts by Tom T
Old Dec 08, 2014, 11:53 AM
Joined Jun 2013
592 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyclopse View Post
Why does my Mobius change colors like this? It seems like it resets to "blue and dark" every time I start a recording, then eventually looks nice, bright and normal...

https://vimeo.com/113893507
This question has been asked many times before but you're probably in the wrong thread to get an authoritative answer.

Try searching the following thread (dedicated to Mobius owners), to get the answer to your question. If your search doesn't find the answer, try re-posting the question there. I'm not a Mobius expert so I shouldn't (and wont) give you a quick answer. There are some very helpful long time members supporting that thread that will give a much better anser anyway....

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1904559
Old Dec 08, 2014, 12:15 PM
Joined Jun 2013
592 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom T View Post
. . . And the cable is 9 bucks man, c'mon.
I like supporting the US mfg's also, but $9 for a 4-5 pin plug with some wires hanging off of it stretches my generosity... We've just got two different outlooks.
Old Dec 08, 2014, 01:02 PM
Joined Jul 2013
652 Posts
Here is the V3 version mobius wide angle lens camera:
Inbuilt 820mah battery, can last recording time to 120 minutes or above. There is light pipe on outer case. Support power supercharge protection, prevent burning.
It cuts off power automatically when voltage is over 5.63V.:
http://www.surveilzone.com/mobius-10...e-angle-hs1181
davidsz is offline Find More Posts by davidsz
Old Dec 08, 2014, 04:36 PM
United States, CA
Joined Jul 2010
4,379 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyclopse View Post

https://vimeo.com/113893507
Update your firmware, current version is V2.25 (looks like the early firmwares had this issue). If that doesn't solve it, try adjusting the white balance and turning off WDR in the camera settings gui.

GUI and firmware updates can be found in the mobius action support thread mentioned in the other post, all the information you need is there.
Cheese5 is online now Find More Posts by Cheese5