SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 29, 2013, 05:24 PM
San Marcos, CA
Joined Aug 2009
2,871 Posts
Help!
Pololu RC Switch - Digital

This may be a very simple thing but I already killed one switch, so I am just going to ask. My knowledge of Transistors are very ancient :-)

I have this switch here: http://www.pololu.com/catalog/product/752

I wanna control a 12V LED Strip that eats about 400mAh - I understand that it's not possible directly but with a little Transistor logic.

So the switch is powered by the 5V BEC and the 12V LED directly from the LiPo (which is powering the BEC) as well..

How would a circuit look for that kind of application?
flyandi is offline Find More Posts by flyandi
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 29, 2013, 05:56 PM
Scottish Borders
Joined Mar 2006
582 Posts
Greetings flyandi,

The circuit could look rather like this link.

Dave

Pololu RC Switch with Small Low-Side MOSFET

http://www.pololu.com/catalog/product/1210
orraman is offline Find More Posts by orraman
Old Jan 29, 2013, 06:38 PM
San Marcos, CA
Joined Aug 2009
2,871 Posts
Yeah I saw that and I ordered a couple of these - so I have a quick solution but I bought like 10 of the digital ones and just wonder how I can make a simple circuit with a transistor to use the Digital Out of the switch to control a 12V circuit...
flyandi is offline Find More Posts by flyandi
Old Jan 30, 2013, 06:16 AM
Scottish Borders
Joined Mar 2006
582 Posts
Comparing the catalogue images it would appear that the Mosfet board is a straightforward extension of the digital board.

The 47k resistor across the FET is likely there to hold it OFF until the micro? stabilise.
The main chip could be a Pic 10Fxxx, the track layout and the 20ma output current are consistent with this.

Duplicating the extra circuit on a daughter board with identical components would depend on examining the FET boards you have on order and a delicate touch.
Otherwise output of GND and OUT could be taken from the header outputs on the right of the board to a through hole logic level FET, diode and resistor.

Dave
orraman is offline Find More Posts by orraman
Old Mar 07, 2013, 01:35 PM
USA, CA, Woodland
Joined Jan 2005
6 Posts
Polulu Switch

Does this switch provide optical isolation?
The way I read it the minimum input voltage is 2 volts, too high for running a glow plug, did I understand that right?
Thanks.
jeaton01 is offline Find More Posts by jeaton01
Old Mar 08, 2013, 03:43 PM
Dave the Rave
Joined Jun 2007
876 Posts
This looks like the one you need......

http://www.pololu.com/catalog/product/1211
dmccormick001 is offline Find More Posts by dmccormick001
Old Mar 08, 2013, 06:48 PM
USA, CA, Woodland
Joined Jan 2005
6 Posts
Thanks, Dave. But I am not smart enough to find in the description if it has optical isolation between the radio and power circuits, which seems to advised for interference protection. The pulse from the glowplug can cause problems otherwise.
jeaton01 is offline Find More Posts by jeaton01