HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 05, 2012, 04:45 PM
United States, AZ
Joined May 2010
1,822 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Frie View Post
All feedback is great - that's the only way to actually improve a design
Unfortunately you are right about the ICSP header, but as I didn't expected many to actually use the design I haven't considered it much. But I'll have a look at it, it should be possible to add space for a ICSP header somehow.

It's designed in Altium...

No worries at all, feel free to show all you want.
Altium, have heard of it but never used it - was hoping to be able to assist since I brought up the addition of the additional headers...
bob4432 is offline Find More Posts by bob4432
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 05, 2012, 05:33 PM
Build to Fly? FLY to BUILD!
United States, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Nov 2009
1,104 Posts
Can I suggest an ISP header so that we can have some sort of "standard?"

On my boards, I've been using a row of SMD pads with 2.54mm spacing, ordered:
MISO
MOSI
SCK
RST
GND
VCC

A programming adapter for it isn't hard to make (I can post a schematic for handmaking one if you guys like) and pogo pins are cheap on ebay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob4432 View Post
Altium, have heard of it but never used it - was hoping to be able to assist since I brought up the addition of the additional headers...
Don't worry about it, I'm working on one
Legot is offline Find More Posts by Legot
Old Dec 05, 2012, 05:53 PM
United States, AZ
Joined May 2010
1,822 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legot View Post
Can I suggest an ISP header so that we can have some sort of "standard?"

On my boards, I've been using a row of SMD pads with 2.54mm spacing, ordered:
MISO
MOSI
SCK
RST
GND
VCC

A programming adapter for it isn't hard to make (I can post a schematic for handmaking one if you guys like) and pogo pins are cheap on ebay.

Don't worry about it, I'm working on one
I would think the industry standard of the 2x3 would be the way to go, not that i have an issue w/ making an adapter but I feel if the time is taken to put in the isp headers, it may as well be the standard, again for more market penetration. smd pads are not an issue as getting 2x3 smd headers are readily available but are a bit fragile as you know compared to th headers, especially if you are removing 6 at a time.

i was looking at the renders and it looks like the traces could be made quite a bit thinner all over the place, even going down to 6/6 or being safe and going 8/8 and maybe not having to move much at all?

I apologize for asking for this w/out being able to assist
Old Dec 05, 2012, 06:07 PM
Just another user
Denmark, Capital Region of Denmark, Naerum
Joined Feb 2011
1,079 Posts
Yes, 2x3 ISP header would be the best choice. That's what people have around anyway.

All traces and vias have been made as large as possible, and I've kept quite a good safety-distance. While it shouldn't be necessary at all, it's just made to ensure reliability. Even if the PCB's are made somewhere cheap where the tolerances is not perfect, it should be fine.
Dennis Frie is offline Find More Posts by Dennis Frie
Last edited by Dennis Frie; Dec 05, 2012 at 06:24 PM.
Old Dec 06, 2012, 05:50 PM
Just another user
Joined Feb 2011
1,079 Posts
2x3 ISP header is more or less in place now, with same size PCB and a few more components.
More good ideas or suggestions now that I'm re-arranging a bit anyway?
Old Dec 06, 2012, 07:48 PM
United States, AZ
Joined May 2010
1,822 Posts
Quote:
2x3 ISP header is more or less in place now, with same size PCB and a few more components.
More good ideas or suggestions now that I'm re-arranging a bit anyway?
bmp180? available now - size is 3.6 x 3.8 x 0.93mm and then future revision to bmp280 (2.0 x 2.5 x 0.95mm) once it is out? bmp180 is code compatible w/ bmp085 so code is already available from multiwii, not sure about bmp280's backward compatability.

since this is for osd i don't think ms561101ba03 is necessary, especially for the cost difference.
Old Dec 07, 2012, 03:55 AM
Joined Sep 2010
2,427 Posts
Why do you guys really want that ISP? In case if theres some trouble with bootloader? Or do you want to just directly burn the .hex? I don't get it

I believe bmp085 would be a better choice for diyers since its bigger and a few $ cheaper
msev is offline Find More Posts by msev
Old Dec 07, 2012, 03:59 AM
Just another user
Joined Feb 2011
1,079 Posts
Quote:
bmp180? available now - size is 3.6 x 3.8 x 0.93mm and then future revision to bmp280 (2.0 x 2.5 x 0.95mm) once it is out? bmp180 is code compatible w/ bmp085 so code is already available from multiwii, not sure about bmp280's backward compatability.

since this is for osd i don't think ms561101ba03 is necessary, especially for the cost difference.
I've considered it, but people prefer a lot of different sensors, and not many people have to possibility to mount SMD-components like BMP085.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msev View Post
Why do you guys really want that ISP? In case if theres some trouble with bootloader? Or do you want to just directly burn the .hex? I don't get it

I believe bmp085 would be a better choice for diyers since its bigger and a few $ cheaper
Mainly cause you need to get the bootloader uploaded somehow
Old Dec 07, 2012, 04:19 AM
United States, AZ
Joined May 2010
1,822 Posts
If you look on the Bosch site, bmp085 is no longer listed and the bmp180 is cheaper than the 085 by ~$3. Bosch told me the 085 was going to be gone a couple years ago, looks like it is finally happening.

Quote:

Old Dec 07, 2012, 04:33 AM
United States, AZ
Joined May 2010
1,822 Posts
If u go the bmp180 route it is really easy to mount - the pads are far apart and even goodluckbuy paste applied with a xacto makes it a piece if cake. It us a weird package - 7 pads, 3 on each side, 1 up top. IMHO it is probably the easiest package to mount - easily done w/ soldering iron. If people will be able to mount the max7456 and 328 they should have no issue mounting the bmp180 and then you will have built in altitude that will be accurate. I would recommend to extend the pads on the PCB out a bit beyond the case and it will be the easiest package to mount on the board, seriously.

[/B]
Quote:
I've considered it, but people prefer a lot of different sensors, and not many people have to possibility to mount SMD-components like BMP085.

Old Dec 07, 2012, 05:31 AM
Joined Sep 2010
2,427 Posts
Quote:

Well you can buy an atmega will an arduino bootloader already pre-flashed ,...but yes if its a bare chip it would be good to have.
Old Dec 07, 2012, 05:43 AM
Just another user
Joined Feb 2011
1,079 Posts
Quote:
Well you can buy an atmega will an arduino bootloader already pre-flashed ,...but yes if its a bare chip it would be good to have.
TQFP package with bootloader loaded? I haven't seen that. It might be possible to get, but I feel pretty sure you'll have to pay a few bucks extra if you can find them anywhere.

Nevertheless, an ISP header is never a bad thing to have available, just in case
Old Dec 07, 2012, 01:02 PM
United States, AZ, Prescott Valley
Joined Feb 2012
178 Posts
Quote:
if you want to practice, i think i have the parts necessary to make a pro mini, so you can see what you are getting into?
Bob,

Wanted to thank you for offering to help - been real busy lately - mostly flying and having a blast with this OSD -

It is an awesome thing that Dennis has made this available for us all -

Not being an electrical engineer, I think it is amazing that I was able to build this and even tweak it a bit myself - I am not speaking of my ability, I am speaking of the amazing job Dennis has done in bringing it down to my level. ie one who sometimes needs "hook up diagrams" as opposed to complicated schematics.

I always felt that if someone really knows their topic, they can bring it down and speak at whatever level the other person is ~ I think Dennis fits this category !

I can only understand about 3 or 4 % of this thread but that's ok - I was able to build it and fly with it and even tweak it a bit. I'm looking forward one day to possibly modify it to be able to toggle the coordinates for example. No Dennis, I know you don't need this and I don't want you to do it for me. If someone else does it that's cool.

I just flew my first successful FPV takoff and landing a few days ago - Now I can't stop.

I have probably done 30 or so small 6 minute flights in the wash and brush out behind our home. And to think I did it all with this OSD that I soldered and put together "myself " is really cool !! (with Dennis's help)

Thank you again Dennis
RickEis is offline Find More Posts by RickEis
Old Dec 07, 2012, 04:26 PM
Joined Sep 2010
2,427 Posts
Quote:
TQFP package with bootloader loaded? I haven't seen that. It might be possible to get, but I feel pretty sure you'll have to pay a few bucks extra if you can find them anywhere.

Nevertheless, an ISP header is never a bad thing to have available, just in case
Well I can get one with arduino nano bootloader for 5$ including shipping and also including a 16MHz crystal for that price.
Old Dec 07, 2012, 05:27 PM
United States, AZ
Joined May 2010
1,822 Posts
Problem then becomes Dennis has to design around whatever crystal they are giving to. I heavily vote ISP headers at the very least.

Quote:
Well I can get one with arduino nano bootloader for 5$
including shipping and also including a 16MHz crystal for that price.