HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 28, 2013, 04:43 PM
Team WarpSquad
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,618 Posts
I did a step by step for newbies to decide for themselves if they can tackle the job of brushless conversion.

Large photos and the steps has color bullets that corresponds to the call out in the appropriate photo.

With links to places you can buy the parts as well. Mainly the brushless kit. (That is very popular and always sell out. Sounds like the next round of availability is about to drop any time now)

Of course, hosting on MakeProject which uses the Dozuki software. You can view via the Dozuki app on the iPhone or iPad, or simply print out as a formatted PDF to take to your workbench.

(Anybody can sign up and augment the instructions too.)

Have a look:
Blade Nano CP X "Mild" Brushless Upgrade
Daryoon is online now Find More Posts by Daryoon
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 28, 2013, 04:46 PM
2 seconds from crashing
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
7,349 Posts
One of my friends has two of Dylans brushless kits that are brand new, that he is looking to sell
indoorheli is online now Find More Posts by indoorheli
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FPV - DRQ250 and a little speed
Old Jan 28, 2013, 04:47 PM
Joined Aug 2012
546 Posts
ok if that is the fet mine looks fine. I can't see even a hint of something wrong with it except that the tail comes on as soon as the battery is connected. I am lost, don't want to mail my board off to someone if that isn't the problem. I think I will give HH a call but just don't expect a second board replacement from them. I mean they are good but 2 boards is a lot to ask.
Greg Head is offline Find More Posts by Greg Head
Old Jan 28, 2013, 04:52 PM
Joined Aug 2012
546 Posts
I am ignorant about this so maybe this won't make sense but what does a blown fet do? I thought you were right but now that I think about it I can make the tail slow down and speed up so is it still most likely the fet? I kind of thought if it was the fet it was all or nothing. It really seems like the tail throttle curve (if that existed) is reversed, off is on and on is off.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 04:59 PM
Team WarpSquad
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,618 Posts
Definitely give HH a call first before sending anything off. People have gotten free replacement for more serious problems. Worth a shot.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 05:17 PM
Joined Aug 2012
546 Posts
waiting for the call back now.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 05:39 PM
Joined Aug 2012
546 Posts
HH said esc is prob out, buy a new board. Grrrr, I don't want to buy a new board. As I am staring at the board willing it to not be broken I see that I have recently replaced every broken part and it is in the best shape it has been in since day 1 (except the canopy but scotch tape is my friend). Now the question is new board or new heli and just have a full set of spares for $80. Or secret option 3 try to sell here and get a few bucks and just buy a mcpx bl instead, I like my mcpx better than the nano anyway.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 05:46 PM
Unregistered User
Joined Oct 2012
382 Posts
I want that cnc frame......
helipilot23 is offline Find More Posts by helipilot23
Old Jan 28, 2013, 06:00 PM
Joined Aug 2012
546 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by indoorheli View Post
One of my friends has two of Dylans brushless kits that are brand new, that he is looking to sell
A guy on helifreak who installs them has one and can fix the fet too. His price for both is super fair, just nervous that the fet isn't the problem and I need a new board as well.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 06:04 PM
Team WarpSquad
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,618 Posts
That's too bad. You can always try calling back. If you get your board repaired, make sure to double check your tail wires. To ensure there's no nick to cause issues on a newly repaired board.

Otherwise, get the new mCPX if you like the mCPX better. Not sure if you originally purchased the nano as a indoor bird. If that was the intention, the BL mCPX may not solve the issue for you.

Of you're in the states, PM me and let me see what options we have. That is, if you care to keep on going with the Nano.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 06:05 PM
Team WarpSquad
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,618 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Head View Post
A guy on helifreak who installs them has one and can fix the fet too. His price for both is super fair, just nervous that the fet isn't the problem and I need a new board as well.
But you said you have two bad boards? Between the two, you should be able to get one working.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 06:06 PM
Joined Aug 2012
546 Posts
I feel like I am blowing up this thread with my problem but here goes another question. Does a tail fet go out gradually? I have been having tail holding problems for a while. It prompted me to fix a lot of things on my nano but never resolved and assumed it was a main motor dying. The tail was blowing out completely when I tried to flip. I couldn't even recover and keep it in the air. After I replaced the motor is when the whole possible tail fet thing started, I never connected the two.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 06:08 PM
Unregistered User
Joined Oct 2012
382 Posts
I have an isssue. I dunno if its a battery or motor. I just have really low to no headspeed. Ive haven't replaced the motor yet so that's probably it. Ill probably just get batteries and a motor.
helipilot23 is offline Find More Posts by helipilot23
Old Jan 28, 2013, 06:11 PM
Joined Aug 2012
546 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryoon View Post
But you said you have two bad boards? Between the two, you should be able to get one working.
I did not even think about that, I don't know if I still have the old board, I will look, a servo locked down on it and it gave me the slow blue blink of death the first week I got it.

As to your other post, I don't fly inside, I like outside. I do think I am going to send everything off to NCcraig and if he can fix it I will put the mild bl kit on it at the same time. If not I will figure something out...
Old Jan 28, 2013, 08:07 PM
Billy
Australia, NSW, Newcastle
Joined Jun 2012
314 Posts
A fet is a transistor, pretty much a fast acting relay on go go juice. Usually a transistor blows rapidly, locking itself in either the open or closed position. This is usually depending on many variables, but the outcome is usually the same, it either won't work, or won't stop working.

But in saying that, all electronics have means of surprising us, just as a relay in a car, they might start deminishing slow enough to sense a problem. Sometimes they get temporarily stuck, or become slow to move.

I think the general consensus is correct here in being a dead fet, but knowing is a matter of changing it out and crossing fingers. That is a beautiful solder job on that one in the pics, much better than I can do. Perhaps if you ask someone really nicely they can help you out. The fet itself is probably worth $0.97 (just taking a guess) so it is definitely worth giving it a go.
Billz_01 is offline Find More Posts by Billz_01