HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 21, 2012, 06:54 PM
Brett
So Cal
Joined Apr 2002
5,311 Posts
Discussion
2.4 Friendlyness of 2 DS planes

So, I've been wondering if my two main DS planes could be switched over to 2.4GHz, but the answer doesn't seem too straight forward to me.

First is my trusty old Sting DS. The wing is all carbon (double or triple a normal carbon String...I forget). The forward fuselage does not appear to have any carbon in it, nor does the nose cone. The rest of the fuselage behind the LE of the wing is CF reinforced, with strips running down the length of the of the fuse. There are gaps between the strips, but I can't say how close together these gaps are toward the rear of the fuse.

Second is a McLean Extreme DS. It is almost 100% CF, except: The nose cone is just glass, and floor of the forward fuselage (about an inch wide, running from the LE of the wing to nose) is also just glass. So basically there's a window above the forward fuselage which would allow an antenna to be visible from the top and sides, and one on the bottom, probably only visible from the bottom.

What do you guys think?
bjaffee is online now Find More Posts by bjaffee
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 21, 2012, 08:06 PM
AvB
Wind, hill, ... I'm keen ...
Australia, QLD, Woody Point
Joined Nov 2006
4,687 Posts
Brett, I have various planes with carbon everything that I fly on 2.4, using Multiplex Cockpit SX M-Link gear. The Shockwave is full socked carbon fuse and heavy carbon wings. The Wizard Compact BPV and Wizard Compact DSX are also full carbon, and also the Stratos DS. I run the aerials out of holes in the sides of the fuse behind the nose cone. You do have to be careful.

1) You must, absolutely, run the entire 31mm length of stripped tip coax (the thin clear bit) out of the hole. You must have at least a couple of mm of the sheathed black cable protruding. I extend about a cm of the black out and tape over that, and over just a few mm of the tip to stop it flopping around too much, but leave most of the tip hanging free.

2) The closer the tip coax is to the carbon wall, the more likely you'll have problems. So any means of lifting it away from the surface is good. Even if it's just a couple of layers of insulation tape under it before you tape it down.

3) Try to get the ends pointing in different directions, preferably 90 deg apart. Which seems pointless since the ends are free, getting blown around, and they curl up too, but the one thing you don't want is to have both ends pointing back parallel along the fuse, or when the plane's heading right at you, you might get a lockout. Taping them down at different directions does make a difference. Choose positions where visually, they are most likely to remain in sight from all angles.

4) Do a really thorough range check, rotating the plane every way slowly. When I checked the BPV I had problems and that's when I found that I had to pull a bit of the black out clear of the hole. (I had gooped it so just the clear was extended). Since then I've never had a problem.

I wouldn't risk keeping the aerials internal on the Extreme, if there's any carbon in the nose at all.

If I had a fancier MPX set I would have telemetry giving signal strength ... that would be nice and one day hopefully we'll all have that.
AvB is offline Find More Posts by AvB
Old Jul 21, 2012, 08:17 PM
Brett
So Cal
Joined Apr 2002
5,311 Posts
Thanks...

Okay, I should have mentioned that I wanted to keep the antennas internal, but AvB, I think you've answered my question anyway.

I'm guessing it might work on the Sting, since I could orient the antennas at 90 degrees without being anywhere near the carbon fiber. But since, I hate the idea of taking 2 different transmitters up the hill, I guess I'll just keep all the gliders on 72MHz for now.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 12:20 AM
Get your build on!
United States, CA, Ventura County
Joined Sep 2008
2,769 Posts
Brett,
Make sure you buy a "carbon-specific" 2.4 ghz receiver with extended leads or you won't be able to get enough out of the fuse without retrofitting the receiver. The antennae should have an obvious shielded portion with about 1" of exposed portion.

Why the sudden switch to the dark side?
Aaron
Aerogance is online now Find More Posts by Aerogance
Old Jul 23, 2012, 04:00 AM
Brett
So Cal
Joined Apr 2002
5,311 Posts
Was just looking at my glider's lack of CF in the forward fuse area and thinking maybe it could work without making holes in the fuse. Still sounds like a bit more trouble then it's worth for the moment though. If I didn't have any DS planes, I would have probably switched everything to 2.4 already (as it is, my power planes are all on 2.4).
Old Jul 23, 2012, 11:58 AM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Oct 2003
1,235 Posts
I'd recommend putting the 2.4 rx in and range checking it without making the holes just to see what kind of range check you get. Make sure to do #4 from Andrew's post. If you're not happy with the range check results then you can then decide about making holes or putting the 72mhz back in. My guess is that you'll find an antenna position and orientation in both planes that will give good results... If not, at least you'll probably learn something!

Spencer
sll914 is online now Find More Posts by sll914
Old Jul 24, 2012, 02:55 PM
closed due to popular demand
Joined Jul 2011
324 Posts
ibuild is offline Find More Posts by ibuild
Last edited by ibuild; Oct 19, 2013 at 04:27 PM.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 02:59 PM
Brett
So Cal
Joined Apr 2002
5,311 Posts
Having full length carbon would probably help the fuselage withstand a hard landing where the nose hits first, causing the entire fuse to flex behind that point. Might prevent cracking just forward of the leading edge. At any rate, it is what it is. Perhaps it was just easier to build that way,.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 04:05 PM
closed due to popular demand
Joined Jul 2011
324 Posts
ibuild is offline Find More Posts by ibuild
Last edited by ibuild; Oct 19, 2013 at 04:27 PM.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 04:59 PM
Brett
So Cal
Joined Apr 2002
5,311 Posts
You'd have to ask Mr McLean, then.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 12:20 AM
Get your build on!
United States, CA, Ventura County
Joined Sep 2008
2,769 Posts
It hasn't cracked yet, that is testament enough.
Aerogance is online now Find More Posts by Aerogance
Old Jul 25, 2012, 01:24 AM
Brett
So Cal
Joined Apr 2002
5,311 Posts
Maybe I've just been lucky with my landings.