brokenenglish is offline Find More Posts by brokenenglish
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old May 05, 2012, 12:25 PM
United Kingdom, England, Essex
Joined Oct 2006
595 Posts
Brokenenglish,
I must build this one. My father built one back in the 50s with a Mills 1.3 in it.
I remember the remains of it in the early 70s when I was a kid, and it fell victim to my love of poking my fingers through the tissue
I do remember it being quite a heavy model with lots of block balsa.
I notice on the box it recommends .5 - 1cc motors and cant help thinking it would have to be built much lighter than the kit to fly with those motors!
But a nice brushless would be great. The cabin space is huge as I remember!
My father said it was a good flyer..
I do have the plan - so thats a start!!
Mark
marksherlock is offline Find More Posts by marksherlock
Old May 05, 2012, 05:59 PM
Joined May 2009
604 Posts
Hey guys, would I be correct in assuming that all Veron plans were part of a marketed kit?

David
cd_webb is offline Find More Posts by cd_webb
Old May 06, 2012, 02:31 AM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,980 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cd_webb View Post
Hey guys, would I be correct in assuming that all Veron plans were part of a marketed kit?

David
Hi David

Veron designer Phil Smith did produce a lot of prototypes which never made it as kits; for example several ducted fan models whilst developing the Lavochkin, Sabre, FD2 and Deltaceptor which were kitted. However, it is safe to assume that any model which is labelled as "Veron" is a kit design. What have you got in mind?

George
Sundancer is offline Find More Posts by Sundancer
Old May 06, 2012, 02:49 AM
Joined May 2009
604 Posts
Good morning, George! I ran across one that struck my fancy called "The Deacon". I figured to build it as drawn, but for electric RC. If it qualifies, I'd like to make it my offering to this build-off. I would like to put the Terror to bed first, though.

David
cd_webb is offline Find More Posts by cd_webb
Old May 06, 2012, 04:13 AM
Sticks, Tissue & old Diesels
France, Centre, Amboise
Joined Nov 2011
1,710 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by marksherlock View Post
Brokenenglish,
I must build this one. My father built one back in the 50s with a Mills 1.3 in it.
I remember the remains of it in the early 70s when I was a kid, and it fell victim to my love of poking my fingers through the tissue
I do remember it being quite a heavy model with lots of block balsa.
I notice on the box it recommends .5 - 1cc motors and cant help thinking it would have to be built much lighter than the kit to fly with those motors!
But a nice brushless would be great. The cabin space is huge as I remember!
My father said it was a good flyer..
I do have the plan - so thats a start!!
Mark
Mark, Back in the mid-fifties, I trimmed one of these for a school pal, who had only ever flown CL, and I've wanted one ever since (I daren't touch this kit, but I could reproduce it...). You're a bit pessimistic about engine power, they fly great FF with a Mills .75 and an ED Bee would be about right for gentle lightweight RC.
If you need any formers or rib patterns, etc. I can obviously supply. From memory, the one I trimmed was ED Bee powered and was definitely a bit "overpowered".
Brian
RCG Plus Member
Old May 06, 2012, 04:32 AM
RFJ
Northern Ireland
Joined Dec 2004
1,673 Posts
Quote:
one that struck my fancy called "The Deacon".
David, no problem with the Deacon - a well known Veron kit.

Ray
RFJ is offline Find More Posts by RFJ
Old May 06, 2012, 04:49 AM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,980 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cd_webb View Post
Good morning, George! I ran across one that struck my fancy called "The Deacon". I figured to build it as drawn, but for electric RC. If it qualifies, I'd like to make it my offering to this build-off. I would like to put the Terror to bed first, though.

David
Hi David

As Ray says the Deacon is one of Phil Smith's classic kit designs for Veron and would be an ideal subject for electric R/C. In fact, although originally marketed as a free flight sport model many were built with single channel radio back in the day. It was a bigger version of the very popular Cardinal and I can confirm from experience that the Cardinal makes a first class electric R/C model, that is my much-flown one below, I would expect the bigger Deacon to be even better (see also post #10 in this thread when I recommended it). I will add you to the entry list in post #1 and look out for your build thread when you start it. I've been following your build of the Terror, good luck with that when you get to the test flight stage.

George
Last edited by Sundancer; May 06, 2012 at 04:55 AM.
Old May 06, 2012, 11:58 AM
United Kingdom, England, Essex
Joined Oct 2006
595 Posts
Brian,
You've actually got an unmade original kit in that box? You lucky lucky man!!
I will definitely start one soon, but with the wingtips and cowl area, I think some careful routing / hollowing would be an advantage. I also remember the original idea of attaching the wing struts to the fuselage with press studs was not totally without its weaknesses!
A very cute little model indeed. Thanks also for the offer of patterns for formers etc. I think from memory they might be marked on the plans but I need to dig them out and have a look.
Mark
marksherlock is offline Find More Posts by marksherlock
Old May 06, 2012, 03:44 PM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,980 Posts
Build Log links added to Post #1

Owlsabie's Veron Bee Bug
kkphantom's KK Gipsy
sundancer's KK Sportster 1.8x
Old May 07, 2012, 06:19 AM
Sticks, Tissue & old Diesels
France, Centre, Amboise
Joined Nov 2011
1,710 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by marksherlock View Post
Brian,
You've actually got an unmade original kit in that box? You lucky lucky man!!
Mark
If George will forgive a little "off topic", the Skyjeep kit has an interesting (unique?) feature... The Chrislea aircraft factory standard colour was the nice shade of blue that you see on the kit box photo. Well, Henry J. went a bit overboard with the kitting. All the printwood sheets (ribs, formers & stuff) are printed in Chrislea blue!
Brian
RCG Plus Member
Old May 08, 2012, 10:07 AM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Okay, need a resident expert here. Been spending too much time looking at Olde British Plans, must make some kind of decision.

Voc SMeed's 'Ballerina' - I found a plan of it, but with an 'Aeromodeller' plans service lable in the usual position. I don't recall the Davis Charlton kit, but is the Ballerina still 'legal' for this comp?

With the winds around this neck of the woods, if I did one, it would likely be rather larger... It is, to my eye, unusually stylish for the era - not quite semi-scale, but not far off, with very pleasing looks.

The Phantom still lurks in the woods. It would, at least, be flyable in the winds Chicago imposes on all.

D
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
Old May 08, 2012, 10:28 AM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,980 Posts
Hi Dereck

The Ballerina was definitely a Davis Charlton kit, designed for them by Vic around the Albon/DC Merlin, so it's fine for the Build Off, either in the original size or scaled up.
Old May 08, 2012, 11:01 AM
RFJ
Northern Ireland
Joined Dec 2004
1,673 Posts
Here's the "proof" Dereck. This ad is from the February 1956 edition of Aeromodeller. I believe that kit production actually started in December 1955. The plan you have is probably the one published in Aeromodeller March 1993 - same model.

I like the idea of the Phantom for R/C but whatever you choose - get building

Ray
RFJ is offline Find More Posts by RFJ
Last edited by RFJ; May 08, 2012 at 11:12 AM.
Old May 08, 2012, 05:13 PM
United Kingdom, Minehead
Joined Oct 2011
87 Posts
Im in with a KK ladybird
bigisbest is offline Find More Posts by bigisbest