HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 20, 2012, 06:00 PM
United States, OH, Cincinnati
Joined Apr 2012
22 Posts
Discussion
Hobbyzone Champ FC throws

Does anyone know how to adjust throw on flight controls of the hobbyzone Champ?

Thanks
cincyflier is offline Find More Posts by cincyflier
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 20, 2012, 06:12 PM
"Landing" in a tree somewhere
Rochester, NY
Joined Sep 2009
946 Posts

If you mean you want to adjust the control surfaces to make them flush with the stabilizers (in other words to help it fly straight), then take some pliers and pinch or widen the U-shaped bend in the wire right before it connects to the control horn as shown in the above picture.

If you mean to get more or less movement from the control surfaces then take the wire shown above and move it to a hole that's closer to the control surface it's attached to (in this case up), causing the surface to move more, or move it to a hole farther from the control surface (in this case down) making it move less. More movement will give you more response but this also makes the plane a little bit more of a handful so only do so once your comfortable flying at the current settings.
Rayne is offline Find More Posts by Rayne
Old Apr 20, 2012, 06:21 PM
Joined Apr 2012
22 Posts
Thanks for the reply! I thought there was a way to do a high/low but I guess not on the stock controller. Would it change with a controlller like the Spektrum DX6i?

Thanks again
Old Apr 20, 2012, 06:27 PM
Rochester, NY
Joined Sep 2009
946 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyflier View Post
Thanks for the reply! I thought there was a way to do a high/low but I guess not on the stock controller. Would it change with a controlller like the Spektrum DX6i?

Thanks again
The stock radio does have dual rates. Sorry about that I guess I misread your post. You can change rates on the stock radio by pressing in on the right control stick. The LED on the radio will begin blinking, indicating that it's in low rate. If the LED isn't blinking then the radio is in high rate mode (more control movement). If you're just starting out then you may want to use low rates. And yes the DX6i has dual-rates which are adjustable and would work just fine with the champ.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 06:33 PM
Joined Apr 2012
22 Posts
Thanks again! One more question....when do you change the control throws and when do you just switch from lo to hi mode to achieve more control?

Thanks!
Old Apr 20, 2012, 06:38 PM
Rochester, NY
Joined Sep 2009
946 Posts
Quote:
Thanks again! One more question....when do you change the control throws and when do you just switch from lo to hi mode to achieve more control?

Thanks!
High/low rates on the radio are used when flying to give more or less response in the air. The mechanical linkage stays the same but the radio itself reduces the range of the servo (the motor that moves the linkage). Adjusting the actual linkages on the plane are for tweaking to help the plane fly straight as well as to give more overall throw. After you get the plane flying straight you should only move the linkages to inner holes when you feel you're ready to take things up a notch and can fly the plane comfortably with the radio on high rates.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 07:06 PM
Joined Apr 2012
22 Posts
Great advice thanks again! I feel comfortable with low rates with the champ. Id like to see what more it could do if I change things around a bit. I can always go back, right?
Old Apr 20, 2012, 07:12 PM
Rochester, NY
Joined Sep 2009
946 Posts
Quote:
Great advice thanks again! I feel comfortable with low rates with the champ. Id like to see what more it could do if I change things around a bit. I can always go back, right?
You're quite welcome. Try switching to high rates, if at any time you feel it's too much just remember low rates are just a click away. Once you're comfortable with high rates then you can try moving the linkage to more inner holes on the control horn. Once you can fly it with the linkage on the inner most hole, performing stunts, smooth take-offs and landings with precision and consistency then you'll be ready to move on to another plane. But in the meantime remember to take things slow and work your way up in small steps. Oh yeah, and have fun.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 07:56 PM
Joined Apr 2012
22 Posts
Thanks sometimes it feels like this stuff is so complicated! I guess you just have to mess around wiith it as you get more proficient. I get too excied with this stuff and probably want to move on too quickly. The stuff I see at the field is really cool and those guys can really fly'em!!!
Old Apr 20, 2012, 08:05 PM
Rochester, NY
Joined Sep 2009
946 Posts
Quote:
Thanks sometimes it feels like this stuff is so complicated! I guess you just have to mess around wiith it as you get more proficient. I get too excied with this stuff and probably want to move on too quickly. The stuff I see at the field is really cool and those guys can really fly'em!!!
There's a lot to learn in the beginning. Just keep reading and give it time. Eventually it will all make sense. Many of us had that itch to buy a warbird or edf jet in the beginning. Keep plugging away on that champ and you'll get there eventually.