SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 01, 2013, 03:34 PM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
6,968 Posts
Those other wings are 18" and 33". Compared to the Scimitar, they are "tiny". I like the Scimitar because it's "big" and has presence in the air.
xviper is offline Find More Posts by xviper
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 02, 2013, 01:34 AM
Joined Aug 2012
20 Posts
Scimitar is discontinued

Just talked to Horizon Hobby today and the Scimitar is discontinued now. Bummer.
jetster7 is offline Find More Posts by jetster7
Old Feb 02, 2013, 02:12 AM
Corsair Captain
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Oct 2010
2,379 Posts
Maidened my Scimitar today and had another flight after that. The maiden went well. As predicted by some, after rotation, she wanted to head right back to the ground. I caught it in time and got her up and trimmed out. About 5 clicks of up elevator and a couple clicks left aileron and she was flying nice and level. The landing was very successful although I almost let her settle in too soon, so I pulled back up and gave a little throttle to let her settle in nicely.
Second flight was a perfect take off and landing. I think this one is a keeper.

I'll post video of the maiden once I get it uploaded.
Garry K.
garryk is offline Find More Posts by garryk
Old Feb 02, 2013, 08:25 AM
Joined Aug 2012
501 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetster7 View Post
Just talked to Horizon Hobby today and the Scimitar is discontinued now. Bummer.
Great, which probably means I'll total it on the next flight and not be able to get parts.

I just got this motor: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=28132

Hoping for 5S performance or better on 4S, so I can run 4S 4000mah, maybe even 5000mah and get some better flight times.
AWDstylez is offline Find More Posts by AWDstylez
Old Feb 02, 2013, 10:49 AM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
6,968 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetster7 View Post
Both PNP and BNF? I guess my early prediction was correct.
Old Feb 02, 2013, 12:50 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,739 Posts
...and no new VT projects are in the pipeline either. However, new parts are supposed to be in stock this month. Im not sure how long they will keep getting parts though.
bsbauman is offline Find More Posts by bsbauman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Boom Smoke!
Old Feb 04, 2013, 01:08 AM
Electric Coolhunter
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,639 Posts
Scored one of the PnP Scimitars at our great local hobby shop, Roy's Hobby Shop in Hurst, TX, at the close out price of 119. It was the last PnP in stock there on Friday.

Would NEVER have bought one for the 279 price, but it was a stone cold deal for 119. I love most of what Horizon does, but have always thought this model was a marketing mistake...interesting, but just too expensive for what it was until it was on sale. I will not pay a penny extra for something that happens to have the QQ name on it...

I always thought this model would have a big fire sale blowout at a low price after it would fail to meet sales projections.

Assembled it on Saturday and maidened it today. Two flights on 4s 3300 and 4s3600 packs. Used my DX18 TX and an AR7010 RX. No problems, worked as advertised. Really liked the approach and landing characteristics, even though some negative comments were made in the thread about how it lands. Flat spins were great fun.

I did end up using less differential than the instructions suggested. My Scimitar was barrel rolling slightly with the stock aileron throws, but rolled much more axially after the differential was reduced a good bit..
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014 events and travel
Old Feb 04, 2013, 10:18 AM
Corsair Captain
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Oct 2010
2,379 Posts
I agree, the landings are smooth and predictable. I haven't tried fast landing, but with the stock fixed landing gear, it comes in slow and settles in nicely.
My maiden landing I expected it to settle quicker cause of the weight of it, but as I flared, she started to go up, but I just gave her a little throttle to maintain that slow speed ans settled her in there. 3 flights since then, I'm familiar with the characteristics and have had 3 perfect landings.
Garry K.
garryk is offline Find More Posts by garryk
Old Feb 04, 2013, 10:24 AM
United States, MO, Fenton
Joined Jan 2012
2,453 Posts
It's pretty easy to land on grass. Paved runways are a lot tougher. Add wind and or cross wind and it can be challenging...
Fentonflyers is online now Find More Posts by Fentonflyers
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 04, 2013, 10:43 AM
Memento Mori
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Sep 2009
3,022 Posts
So I started pulling the scimitar stuff out I don't need out like the wire extensions for the retracts and the 3 wire connection for the gear channel and the 3 wire extension pulled apart (pins came out of housing) pretty much in my hand. Bad 3-connection plug. Ill repair it, but just letting you guys know. Also I will be removing the esc power lead extension and soldering. I don't like excess plugs/connections... increases resistance.

Ill use the extensions for another project. I have 0 intent on putting retracts on this thing. To be honest my depth perception seems to be getting worse and gear hanging down may help me keep orientation.
Diesel6401 is offline Find More Posts by Diesel6401
Old Feb 04, 2013, 11:07 AM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,739 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel6401 View Post
To be honest my depth perception seems to be getting worse and gear hanging down may help me keep orientation.
I also found the gear to be very helpful with orientation; particularly at altitude at the top of a pop-top...
bsbauman is offline Find More Posts by bsbauman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Boom Smoke!
Old Feb 04, 2013, 01:31 PM
Electric Coolhunter
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,639 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fentonflyers View Post
It's pretty easy to land on grass. Paved runways are a lot tougher. Add wind and or cross wind and it can be challenging...
After two flights I have around 20 pavement landings and found them all very smooth and predictable. I bounced one and it was my fault. It does require a little technique. Carry a touch of power across the threshold and establish a nice very slow sink rate and then gently reduce power.
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014 events and travel
Old Feb 04, 2013, 02:24 PM
United States, MO, Fenton
Joined Jan 2012
2,453 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas B View Post
After two flights I have around 20 pavement landings and found them all very smooth and predictable. I bounced one and it was my fault. It does require a little technique. Carry a touch of power across the threshold and establish a nice very slow sink rate and then gently reduce power.
Yes but with my apparent lack of skill it doesn't always work out.
Fentonflyers is online now Find More Posts by Fentonflyers
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 04, 2013, 02:53 PM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
6,968 Posts
With practice and repetition, almost any specific task can become "smooth and predictable", even brain surgery. (Yes, I used to do rat brain surgery. The first few were sloppy and messy, then it gets better and better until it becomes second nature.) I've had maybe 10 flights with my Simitar and I'm just getting "fair" at hard surface landings. Belly flopping onto grass is nothing.
Old Feb 04, 2013, 06:32 PM
Gravity's a harsh Mistress....
United States, MD, Lusby
Joined Jan 2007
2,817 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWDstylez View Post
Great, which probably means I'll total it on the next flight and not be able to get parts.
Naaaa....Horizon stocks enough parts for about 2 years of supply, unless theres some wild run on them.
southernmd_man is offline Find More Posts by southernmd_man