HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 03, 2011, 04:27 PM
Joined Jan 2008
1,208 Posts
Discussion
More on photosynthetic production of hydrogen.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0502110631.htm

Use of a cheaper catalyst to produce hydrogen from water using light for power. There is a lot of cool stuff going on.
Jim Thomerson is offline Find More Posts by Jim Thomerson
Old May 03, 2011, 05:31 PM
In Development Now
Joined May 2005
448 Posts
I wonder what the efficiency is compared to traditional solar cells. If it's much lower with no prospect of reaching current efficiency, then it's a dead end.
Indiana_Geoff is online now Find More Posts by Indiana_Geoff
Old May 03, 2011, 05:38 PM
College Park, MD
Joined Sep 2002
4,714 Posts
This is nothing like a traditional solar cell. It converts water to hydrogen using solar power directly, producing no electricity in the process.
thunder1 is online now Find More Posts by thunder1
Old May 03, 2011, 06:11 PM
Native American
Joined May 2010
429 Posts
Pretty cool, hope something comes out of their work. For some reason stuff like this never amounts to anything. Remember IBM and their bubble memory?
BE77 Pilot is offline Find More Posts by BE77 Pilot
Old May 03, 2011, 06:18 PM
Figure Nine Champ
North Texas
Joined Nov 2002
1,291 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunder1 View Post
This is nothing like a traditional solar cell. It converts water to hydrogen using solar power directly, producing no electricity in the process.
I don't belive that to be true. They're still working on the O2 part of the equation. If and when they get that part working, I believe there will be electrical current passing between the O2 and the H generating sections. The equations have to balance
madsci_guy is offline Find More Posts by madsci_guy
Old May 03, 2011, 06:23 PM
College Park, MD
Joined Sep 2002
4,714 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by madsci_guy View Post
I don't belive that to be true. They're still working on the O2 part of the equation. If and when they get that part working, I believe there will be electrical current passing between the O2 and the H generating sections. The equations have to balance
Perhaps, but the intent is not to produce electricity, but rather hydrogen and oxygen. It might even require electrical current to sustain the reaction.
thunder1 is online now Find More Posts by thunder1