q
Jakub J is offline Find More Posts by Jakub J
Site Sponsor
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 23, 2014, 07:22 PM
United States, VA, Sterling
Joined May 2014
70 Posts
Nick, your aerial shots are getting better and better. The Land and Wildlife video was a great one to watch.

Sorry to hear you and moto are still fighting with the phobotic. Was hoping you guys get that figured out by now. Can't wait to see the footage you both get when all the bugs get ironed out

I've been playing around with a DYS 3-axis gimbal and decided it's just too small to operate. I picked up a Sony Nex-5R for that and have captured some good video. Still have a few things to iron out with the tuning on my 32-bit controller but more news at 11 on that.

I saw you've used both the V1 and the V2 gimbal from quad frames. Any reason why the V2 is better over the V1 just for flying the Sony Nex? I won't be adding my Canon 5D for a long while until I'm positive my rig is reliable in the air. Just trying to find a new gimbal to use other than this DYS 3-axis gimbal.
connoisseurr is offline Find More Posts by connoisseurr
Old Nov 24, 2014, 01:00 PM
Aerial Operator
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Feb 2012
755 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by connoisseurr View Post
Nick, your aerial shots are getting better and better. The Land and Wildlife video was a great one to watch.

Sorry to hear you and moto are still fighting with the phobotic. Was hoping you guys get that figured out by now. Can't wait to see the footage you both get when all the bugs get ironed out

I've been playing around with a DYS 3-axis gimbal and decided it's just too small to operate. I picked up a Sony Nex-5R for that and have captured some good video. Still have a few things to iron out with the tuning on my 32-bit controller but more news at 11 on that.

I saw you've used both the V1 and the V2 gimbal from quad frames. Any reason why the V2 is better over the V1 just for flying the Sony Nex? I won't be adding my Canon 5D for a long while until I'm positive my rig is reliable in the air. Just trying to find a new gimbal to use other than this DYS 3-axis gimbal.
Thanks Connoisseurr!

The V1 gimbal works great with the Sony NEX cameras, the difference between v1 and v2 is that v2 is built more rigidly. Im running the V2 with a sony A7s and GH4 and it works pretty darn good. The quad frame gimbal is great for smaller cameras like the sony nex. I would go for the Quadframe v1 or v2, I noticed that the 3rd axis landing legs cause a bit of inertia though. Go with the 3rd axis without the landing legs and your golden.

Keep me updated on your results!

Cheers,
swartzracing is offline Find More Posts by swartzracing
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Drone Cowboys
Old Nov 24, 2014, 03:18 PM
Joined May 2014
70 Posts
Thanks for the great info Nick. Don't think I've formally introduced myself, except to moto, but my name is Connor.

The V1 gimbal looked rather substantial enough to hold the Sony NEX. When opting for the 3rd axis, I would definitely get the mechanism only and the motor, no landing legs. I've made my own CNC'd brackets that attach retracts to the frame. The brackets just BARELY make it past the V4 dampening system - whew! I didn't account for the V4 dampening system when I made those brackets but I'm glad they just barely clear.

I'll be making moves on the gimbal within the next month after I get all the holiday shopping taken care of. I'm hoping to start getting some footage with snow on the ground. Winter is definitely my favorite season.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 11:29 PM
Aerial Operator
Joined Feb 2012
755 Posts
Hey Guys another video I did, using the one and only QuadFrame V2 Gimbal.

Alder Creek Ranch (3 min 46 sec)

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 27, 2014, 12:11 AM
Krakow/POLAND
Joined Dec 2009
1,743 Posts
OK, how much is this house?

I'm just looking for small house on the bridge with nice view etc

q
Jakub J is offline Find More Posts by Jakub J
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 28, 2014, 12:47 PM
Aerial Operator
Joined Feb 2012
755 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakub J View Post
OK, how much is this house?

I'm just looking for small house on the bridge with nice view etc

q
Hey Jakub,

The property with the houses, barns, beach, is 3.2 million. Not to bad for owning a few thousand feet of the beach.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 10, 2014, 01:25 AM
Aerial Operator
Joined Feb 2012
755 Posts
v2 + GH4 4k 30fps + 45 mph = Perfect video. This was a fast flight warm up before a high speed tracking shoot. This is raw video without any post stab done.

High Speed Gimbal Testing (0 min 21 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 10, 2014, 05:37 AM
Joined May 2014
70 Posts
Wow this looks great Nick. You're slowly making me want to get a GH4 lol. I ended up swapping out my NEX-5R for a Sony a6000 - this can record 1080p at 24, 30 and 60 frames. Should make for some good video, especially with a little slow motion option.

My buddy scored screaming deal on a Hero 4 black edition and I'm going to try that out on a smaller gimbal that I have. I'll most likely end up swapping out the lens for a flat lens of sorts just so I can shoot some normal video.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 01:03 PM
Aerial Operator
Joined Feb 2012
755 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by connoisseurr View Post
Wow this looks great Nick. You're slowly making me want to get a GH4 lol. I ended up swapping out my NEX-5R for a Sony a6000 - this can record 1080p at 24, 30 and 60 frames. Should make for some good video, especially with a little slow motion option.

My buddy scored screaming deal on a Hero 4 black edition and I'm going to try that out on a smaller gimbal that I have. I'll most likely end up swapping out the lens for a flat lens of sorts just so I can shoot some normal video.
Thanks Connoisseur! Yea the clip is short due to having a bad internet connection, but the pairing of the V2 gimbal and CP controller has worked very good and I'm very excited about the footage I will be able to get now.

Keep us updated on your setups. Hope everyone is having a great holiday season!
RCG Plus Member