Old Jan 18, 2010, 07:21 PM
The ground's the limit.
Boulder, CO Area
Joined Aug 2008
833 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by djensen View Post
What was the bench cost?
Regarding my repair??? Warranty. John's switch, er, switch dunno.

Shawn
shawnc is offline Find More Posts by shawnc
Old Jan 18, 2010, 10:55 PM
*Read*Rise*Return*Repeat
USA, TX, Austin
Joined Nov 2009
311 Posts
Alright, so I have been flying now for over a month with my new SD-10G. It has been great! I am new at dlg, so there has been a learning curve to setting up the radio mixes, but this system is easy to understand. The instruction manual is clearly written and illustrated. The only thing I have not programmed is Bob McGowan's "come home" mix on the fifth switch. I plan to do that soon. Everything else has been a breeze to put together. Because the temporary switch has a push setting as well as a pull I have set up two levels of preset to marry with wind conditions. The three-way switch up top left carries the main flight modes. Flaps on left stick. Three variations of rates for each flying surface has been really nice. Three settings for both elevator-to-camber and ailerons-to-rudder mixes, one of them being no mix at all, has allowed me to experiment and learn about what these mixes do. The adjustments to differential have been interesting, balancing with rudder, especially in landing mode.

This radio is so logically set up that I, newbie Noel, have had no problem at all setting up all my mixes, or understanding how adjusting them sweetens the performance of my plane, and folks, I am not the brightest lightbulb in the pack. If I can do it this easily the people at Airtronics are doing something right.

Thanks to everyone who wrote regarding this radio. You have helped me to make a decision that I am sure to be happy with for years to come. Bob, I look forward to programming a "coming home" flight mode and trying it out. Maybe I will be able to practice catching a bit more?

-Noel R.
Noel Robbins is offline Find More Posts by Noel Robbins
Old Jan 19, 2010, 01:07 AM
The ground's the limit.
Boulder, CO Area
Joined Aug 2008
833 Posts
If you haven's found it, the Airtronics section of the Global forum is a good place for info straight from Airtronics techs.
http://globalservices.globalhobby.co...forum.php?f=17
It doesn't seem to be linked from the Airtronics web site anymore though.

Shawn
shawnc is offline Find More Posts by shawnc
Old Jan 19, 2010, 09:43 AM
Joined Sep 2004
808 Posts
Shawn and Dave,

After taking the back off a few times and getting my courage up I moved the momentary switch over to the right side. After all leftys rule!! As to the worries of to many switches to flip, I have mine set up so you dont need to. Landing on the left stick, launch on the momentary switch, and camber on the left slider. I do have some other modes, snp flap, speed, duel rates or uncoupled rudder, but you dont have to use them, and if it bothers you its very easy to turn them off. For "regular" flying whatever that is you pull the momentary to launch, camber on the side, pull the stick to land. Easy to do. Im going to the club meeting tomorrow night. Bring your radios and we can share programs.

John
JOLOVINS is offline Find More Posts by JOLOVINS
Old Jan 21, 2010, 07:45 AM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
United States, NY, Plainview
Joined Aug 2005
8,119 Posts
How many of you change the order of the surface assignments?

I thought it was a big deal having the ailerons adjacent in the channel order.

Any thoughts??

Does anyone know if it messes up having a trainer system attached?

Whose channel assignments do you use?

Looks like a great radio. It is tempting....

Frank
Fly2High is offline Find More Posts by Fly2High
Old Jan 21, 2010, 08:45 AM
Jeff Carr
Ft. Mill SC / Charlotte NC
Joined Mar 2001
2,709 Posts
Frank

On mine I use the 1st four plugs. I do however try and keep them grouped all the same. Like alll my DLG have
1.elevator
2. Rudder
3. L Ail
4. R Ail

Its just what I do. I havent tried it with a trainer but would say No it doesnt effect it as You are the transmitting station.

So far I like mine. I had to take the case off one of the 7 channel rec to jam it into my Salonit. So far no lockouts or problems. The thing thats nice is the rec will work down to 2 volts. Of course the servos will probably quit before that but the slugges controls should be a give away.

Thinking about one??

Jeff
Goinav8n is online now Find More Posts by Goinav8n
Old Jan 21, 2010, 09:12 AM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
Joined Aug 2005
8,119 Posts
Yeah.

I am a die hard Jr guy. I have a Jr XP9303 and am waiting for a Spektrum module just to keep things going for a while.

Not sure whether I want to jump ship. It is the most popular but there have been issues.

when I saw the price for one with a 7 ch Rx, I was like OMG is that cheap!! I think they are trying to get people to come to them.

Also, with so many good cheap modules, I may go that way. Being module based may have its latency but I can at my leasure change what type of 2.4 I am using. Unfortunately it is flexibility at a cost.

I was surprised the Futaba came out with a Jr module, especially since most Jrs do not have modules!

I wonder if Airtronics will do the same.....

As for channel assignments, I think Jr and futaba do ailerons on 1 and 2, then rudder and elevator - not that it matters. It is good to be the consistent. makes it easy to switch without have to figure out which plug comes from where.

I do like using a 4ch Rx for a flaperon DLG. I wish Air. would make a full range 4ch Rx though!! For that matter, I hope they get more FH3 Rxs!!

As always, for that kind of scratch, do I go for a new plane or a backup Tx? time will tell...

Frank
Old Jan 21, 2010, 09:14 AM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
Joined Aug 2005
8,119 Posts
What is the difference between FH1 and FH3?
Old Feb 08, 2010, 11:05 PM
practice, practice, practice
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Mar 2005
728 Posts
I use SD-10G and 92664s with my Ulegra F3K and Concept Pro.

The independent trim setting for each flight modes and 9 point curve for elevator-camber mixing work well.

cvlex

#I also use the tx and 92674s with my Hurricane 550 and X500 electric helis.
cvlex is offline Find More Posts by cvlex
Old Feb 09, 2010, 02:55 AM
United States, CA, Fremont
Joined Nov 2003
1,989 Posts
Have you guys try to change the location for the spring-load switch?
The current location is not very convenient for launch preset.
I am thinking to move the spring-load one to the 3-position switch location (mark green).
Any experience on this?

Kai@UCSB is offline Find More Posts by Kai@UCSB
Old Feb 09, 2010, 08:03 AM
Practice Makes Precision
United States, MO, Knob Noster
Joined Jun 2006
3,531 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai@UCSB View Post
Have you guys try to change the location for the spring-load switch?
The current location is not very convenient for launch preset.
I am thinking to move the spring-load one to the 3-position switch location (mark green).
Any experience on this?

Do you mean the switch more forward? Or twords the back? It shouldn't be a problem moving it.
TDisaster is offline Find More Posts by TDisaster
Old Feb 09, 2010, 09:08 AM
Joined Sep 2004
808 Posts
The switches are on boards, 3 on each board left and right on the radio. You cannot switch the boards from left to right(I did a left hand conversion), but you can move switches. Remove the back AND top of the radio, take the board out, and de solder the switch off the board. I used de solder braid from radio shack and a fairly hot iron. Im not an electrical guy but it wasent to bad.

John L.
JOLOVINS is offline Find More Posts by JOLOVINS
Old Feb 09, 2010, 09:53 AM
Challenge is rewarding
San Diego, CA
Joined Aug 2004
5,527 Posts
Or you can send it back to Airtronics/global. Let the pros set you up.
djklein21 is offline Find More Posts by djklein21
Old Feb 09, 2010, 10:25 AM
Spins With Gliders
USA, CO, Littleton
Joined Aug 2005
1,822 Posts
I sent mine to ATX to have that very thing done... I should be receiving it later this week... took just about 3 weeks round trip.
djensen is offline Find More Posts by djensen