New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 23, 2015, 04:09 PM
Find More Posts by -Balsa-
United Kingdom, England, Blyth
Joined Jan 2010
52 Posts
Build Log
KK Soarer Baby (the third) - SOS Build Off 2015

So, with my KK Conquest completed but as of yet unflown and my Hamilcar stalled again (this time due to a dodgy compressor rather than apathy) I thought it was about time I made a start on the model I had originally thrown my hat in to the ring with; the Keil Kraft Soarer Baby.

I briefly toyed with electrifying it but if I'm honest I'm a bit skint at the moment and couldn't stretch to buying a new motor, ESC, prop combo. Plus, with me being a relative newcomer to the modern hobby I don't even know where to start with motor selection. So that in mind I'll be keeping it RE only and this time I will actually follow through with it rather than chickening out at the last moment as I did with the Conquest. Though considering it took me one evening to go from a pile of sticks to the below, I don't see any great drama in building a new fuselage later down the line if I so desire.

So far I've managed to get the fuselage mostly framed up and I must be learning something from you lot because unlike the last couple of models I've built it's actually almost completely straight. Which is a nice change I must say. One thing I have learned though is that I must get a new balsa stripper as this Master Airscrew one is a bit pap and keeps presenting me with rectangular sections no matter how careful I am. An order may have to be made to SLEC the next time I actually have any disposable income.

Anyway, wood selection isn't really my strong point but I had three sheets of 1/8" in stock at 42g, 42g and 53g so I just chose one of the lighter ones which has led to a current weight of 11g for the fuselage at the moment. I'm not sure whether this is good or bad as I don't know what the final AuW of the model is meant to be in its FF guise? Any help on that?

So next up is to finish off the nose (I need to draw the formers out for that, they're labelled A3 and A4 but those parts don't exist on the parts listings, also there's an A1...but no A2) and sharpen up the tail to get the correct incidence for the empennage and then I can move on to that self same thing. I just need to work out what to do with the HS. Leave it as a flying elevator or just make it out of strip. It would certainly be easier to add the elevator if I did the latter but I like the look of the lifting tail surface and I'm sure it's there for a reason.

Once those are done I can start looking at how I'm going to route the controls. I'll be using 1/32nd wire and balsa strip hardened with CA for the pushrods as it's what I have available and I've used them before. There's probably a more elegant solution, but this one's free. So it's the one I'll be going with.
-Balsa- is online now Find More Posts by -Balsa-
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 23, 2015, 04:16 PM
Find More Posts by owlsabie
South Africa
Joined Feb 2009
3,300 Posts
You're of to a great start!
owlsabie is online now Find More Posts by owlsabie
Old Jul 23, 2015, 04:26 PM
Joined Jan 2010
52 Posts
Cheers Owl. Super Glue helps. I used TiteBond the Conquest exclusively because of the shoddy fitment of parts, this time round I cut them myself and was a little more confident in their fit and willing to chance the immediacy of CA for time saved. Especially when fitting the upper cross pieces in the fus.
Old Jul 23, 2015, 11:59 PM
Find More Posts by Sundancer
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
5,860 Posts
Good start, I've posted the entry.

Re: the Veron Coupe, you might be interested in what Sparks did with his in an earlier Build Off, see http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1685597
Sundancer is online now Find More Posts by Sundancer
Old Jul 24, 2015, 03:34 AM
Joined Jan 2010
52 Posts
Yes I've seen it. Something I might try myself in the future, but with a scaled up version. My Coupe goes down as one in the practice column as I accidentally built one side of the fuselage out of 1/8" and it's pretty bent. As such I doubt it will ever fly. It was good practice for covering though.
Last edited by -Balsa-; Jul 25, 2015 at 05:19 AM. Reason: speelong
Old Jul 24, 2015, 02:03 PM
Find More Posts by Colonel Blink
So I'M meant to be in control?
Ilkley, West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Nov 2008
4,132 Posts
Eyup young fellermelad! I'll be a watching you.....
Colonel Blink is offline Find More Posts by Colonel Blink
Old Jul 25, 2015, 05:23 AM
Joined Jan 2010
52 Posts
Christ not you again...

Have you had a chance to fly the Riot yet? I still look at both my IC trainers from time to time but I can't be arsed with them. I think I'll sell them both and put the money towards a Riot or a Bix 3 or something. How heavy are they by the way? Because obviously they need to be over 1kg for the A. I know the Bix 3 is somewhere around 900g with a 3s but as it's designed to also be an FPV plane I'm sure I could easily take the extra weight.

In Soarer Baby news the VS is done and the rudder cut free, now I just need to work out how to do the elevator in the lifting HS. Any tips on that? I've never done anything like it before.

Also, anyone managed to track down what the AuW of the FF Version is? It'll give me something to aim for.

TTFN,

Paul
Old Jul 26, 2015, 03:54 AM
Find More Posts by Colonel Blink
So I'M meant to be in control?
Ilkley, West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Nov 2008
4,132 Posts
Yep, had about a dozen flights so far and not crashed it (properly) yet. Off the buddy lead and have been told as soon as I tidy the manoeuvres up a bit should have a go at the A - but struggling to get the hang of the figure eights in the normal Ponty 10-20mph crosswind. I have the Riot set up as per the destructions with small control surface movements and it seems pretty docile and well-balanced. It's about 1350g and is almost the std trainer at Ponty - I think there were four there last Weds.

Soarer Baby weight:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...9&postcount=18
Colonel Blink is offline Find More Posts by Colonel Blink
Old Jul 26, 2015, 08:28 AM
Joined Jan 2010
52 Posts
Sounds good. I take it they cope well enough with the wind then? Like you the average member of my club considers a Force 9 gale just a bit of a stiff breeze.

Cheers for the link also, annoyingly I'd actually read that thread too...

soarer baby update, fuselage is finished and I've made a hatch in the snozz but I've also managed to put a mahoosive twist in it which, quite frankly, has boiled my wee-wee something rotten but I guess I'll just have to put it down to experience. At least it's straight from the trailing edge all the way back to the tail and with no motor that's all that really matters. Current weight of the fuselage sans gear is standing at 11.8g before final sanding.