New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 12, 2015, 12:43 AM
Find More Posts by XC soaringpilot
Joined Jan 2005
315 Posts
Discussion
Montague 2015 XC RESULTS

Montague XC - Day one Results.

The first of four days of Cross Country glider racing was completed today. 9 teams competed today. Weather forecast was for warm temps and a strong wind to start around noon. CD calls for task of 34.1 miles, start-TP2-TP9-TP5-TP9 and finish at TP2. Most teams planned to start early to avoid having to fight a strong headwind wind from TP5 to TP9. The winds did not start until about 3:00pm.

The day was won by team 647 (Ellias, Shelby, Ellias) with a speed of 30.9 mph. Having completed the task twice, with their best speed on the second run. Total of 4 of the 9 teams completed the 35 mile task.

Teams:

Team 273 – Dean Gradwell, Ron McElliott, Roger Hebner
Team 575 – David Portwood, Bruce Rose, Richard Vandijk
Team 767 - Bill Chase, Berry Danieli, Mike Leggett
Team 647 – John Ellias, Marquita Ellias, Rick Shelby
Team 593 – Steve Henke, Bill Curry, Jerry Krainock
Team 462 - Mike Nelson, Bob Lemiex, Anker Berg-Sonne
Team 461 – Greg Norsworthy, David Beach, Mike Parlang
Team 424 – Bruce Moore, Jim Rolle, Marty Falaski
Team 221 – Scott Meader, Paul Gradwell, Scott Marnoch
Team 168 - Tom Clumsee, Ken Eaton, Kevin Martin

Results:

Team 647 – Completed Task - Avg speed 30.9 mph
Team 593– Completed Task - Avg speed 20 mph
Team 273– Completed Task - Avg speed 17.5 mph
Team 767– Completed Task - Avg speed 15.6mph
Team 461 –Incomplete task – Distance 28.9 miles
Team 221–Incomplete task – Distance 25.8 miles
Team 575–Incomplete task – Distance 24.5 miles
Team 424–Incomplete task – Distance 22.4 miles
Team 462–Incomplete task – Distance 9.6 miles
XC soaringpilot is offline Find More Posts by XC soaringpilot
Last edited by XC soaringpilot; Jun 15, 2015 at 11:47 AM. Reason: course correction
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 13, 2015, 12:42 AM
Joined Jan 2005
315 Posts
Day two

10 teams competed today. Task was 34.1 miles. Great day of Soaring with 7 of the 10 teams completing the task.

Team 647 – Completed Task - Avg speed 27.2 mph
Team 767– Completed Task - Avg speed 22 mph
Team 593– Completed Task - Avg speed 20.5 mph
Team 273– Completed Task - Avg speed 17.6 mph
Team 461 –Completed Task –Avg Speed 17.3 mph
Team 424–Completed Task – Avg speed 16.3 mph
Team 462–Completed Task – Avg speed 15.8 mph
Team 221–Incomplete task – Distance 22.8 miles
Team 575–Incomplete task – Distance 21 miles
Team 168 - Incomplete task - distance 7 miles
Last edited by XC soaringpilot; Jun 26, 2015 at 11:34 AM.
Old Jun 13, 2015, 02:41 PM
Find More Posts by tbroeski
Afton VA
Joined Sep 2002
501 Posts
Any details on the planes being flown?
tbroeski is offline Find More Posts by tbroeski
Old Jun 13, 2015, 04:54 PM
yyz
Find More Posts by yyz
yyz
USA, CA, Paso Robles
Joined Dec 2004
2,440 Posts
Wonder if Marquita is getting tired of carrying those other two guys on her team?
yyz is online now Find More Posts by yyz
Old Jun 13, 2015, 10:58 PM
Joined Jan 2005
315 Posts
Day 3 Results

Saturday the task was a "POST" (Pilot Option Speed Task) with a minimum flight time of two hours. This task allows the pilot to choose his turnpoints and the score is based on highest average speed.The speed will be determined by dividing the distance flown by the time, but if you fly less than 2 hours your distance will still be divided by two hours. If you fly longer than two hours your distance will be divided by your time to determine your speed.

The day was won by team 424 (Bruce Moore, Jime Rolle, Marty Falaski) flying 39.4 miles with an average speed of 19.68 mph. Close behind was team 647 flying 42.5 miles with an average speed of 19.60 mph. Third place for the day was team 593 (Steve Henke and Bill Curry) flying 35 miles with an average speed of 16.4 mph. Team 462 (Mike Nelson, Bob Lemiex, Anker Berg-Sonne) flew the furthest by far with 49.3 miles. Mike Nelson was trying for his 100k pin but landed short of his goal. He did earn his 50k pin yesterday.

The full saturday scoresheet with cumulative scores courtesy of David Beach are shown on the attached file.
Last edited by XC soaringpilot; Jun 15, 2015 at 11:40 AM. Reason: Correction - team 593 came in 3rd
Old Jun 13, 2015, 11:20 PM
Joined Jan 2005
315 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbroeski View Post
Any details on the planes being flown?
There are a variety of gliders being flown at Montague this year. Just from memory:

Bill Chase has been flying his own designed and built Appersonic. It is a very high aspect ratio (22:1) glider with 176" wing span, 8.5" chord glider. It is (was!) a very strong and beautifully built glider. In the last few contests Bill and his team has done very well with this glider. Unfortunately it was destroyed today when they lost visual contact and it spiraled in.

Scott Meader brought a glider with SBXC wings with reduced span mounted on one Dominics fuselages. Everything about this glider looks just right!

Greg Norsworthy is flying his well documented XC Racer #11.

Dean Gradwell is flying a modified Royale.

I believe Mike Nelson is flying an SBXC.

Bruce Moore, Jim Rolle, and Marty Falaski are flying an MXC.

Steve Henke and Bill Curry are flying a modified Icon (SuperCon).

Dave Portwood, Bruce Rose, Richard Vandijk are flying an SBXC.

I am flying my X2xc (modified Xplorer 2)

John
Last edited by XC soaringpilot; Jun 14, 2015 at 11:03 AM. Reason: Corrections
Old Jun 15, 2015, 12:16 PM
Joined Jan 2005
315 Posts
Sunday Scores

Sunday was an assigned speed task of 12.9 miles. See attached results. Team 647 was first with an average of 29.9 mph, Team 461 (Greg Norsworthy, David Beach,Mike Parlang) was second with a speed of 25.8 mph. Team 424 (Bruce Moore, Jim Rolle, Marty Falaski) was third with 22.7 mph. Fourth was Team 273 (Dean Gradwell, Ron McElliott, Roger Hebner) at 18.7 mph.
Last edited by XC soaringpilot; Jun 15, 2015 at 12:22 PM.
Old Jun 15, 2015, 12:39 PM
Joined Jan 2005
315 Posts
Final Results

Final results are shown attached below. Thanks to Ron McElliott for his great work as CD and of course Dean for once again hosting this fine event at what has to be one of the best RC Soaring Venues in the country.
Old Jun 15, 2015, 12:50 PM
Find More Posts by rwemacs
United States, OR, Medford
Joined Jun 2006
69 Posts
Montague X/C

It was my pleasure to CD this event and I thank every one that attended and look forward to seeing everyone next year.
rwemacs is offline Find More Posts by rwemacs
Last edited by rwemacs; Jun 17, 2015 at 10:45 PM.
Old Jun 17, 2015, 06:26 PM
Find More Posts by ThermalSeeker
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Sep 2005
280 Posts
Last Day's scores

The lower grouping of the last day's scores are interesting.

675, 661, 659, 650, 638, 630

That's competition.

Mike
ThermalSeeker is online now Find More Posts by ThermalSeeker
Old Jun 19, 2015, 12:34 AM
Find More Posts by Philip Kolb
Istanbul, Turkey
Joined Oct 2007
40 Posts
Thank you for posting the results John,
and thank for everyone reporting from Montague 2015. We were sitting on the edges of our seats here trying to follow up what you guys did this year.
The memories from last year are still vivid and I hope we'll be able to make it back to fly XC with you again in the next years. It still is the most awesome thing I've ever done with a model glider!
Congrats to all the winners - John, that was a smoking day1-result of yours!!! AWESOME
Do you think you could post the igc-logfiles of the flights here like you did last year?
That would be very much appreciated!
All my best greeting to everyone, thank you again Dean for taking all the efforts organizing such a beautiful event.
Hope to see you again soon:
Philip
Philip Kolb is offline Find More Posts by Philip Kolb
Old Jun 19, 2015, 11:18 PM
Joined Jan 2005
315 Posts
Hi Phillip

We definitely missed you and Reinhard this year. I hope we can see you guys at another XC event in the future.

Attached are all the .igc files for all the scored flights. I had to Zip them in order to post the files on RC Groups.

John
Old Jun 26, 2015, 02:37 AM
Find More Posts by Philip Kolb
Istanbul, Turkey
Joined Oct 2007
40 Posts
Thank you for posting the logfiles John.
It really gives some very good insight in the days weather conditions as well as into strategies, tactics and struggles of each team. So good that this technology is available, I'm totally convinced that in studying these flights one can not only re-live the situations and scenarios the teams were in, he can also learn from looking into the logs and statistics of each flight.
What I found interesting about your Thursday flight, was, that one easily can understand the psychology behind.
You took the opportunity to fly a second run. The logfiles clearly tells that you were going for "broke" or better said "all in".
Only climbing in the strongest of thermals passing the weaker ones by and sometimes risking to get low got you an amazing average speed on that day!
One doesn't seem to take that risk when you haven't got a flight "in the bank" already.
Looking at that flight should teach us to think over "risk management" once again. Great flying! Looked like a real winner flight to me.
I have a question according the POST-task though. It is easy to calculate the average speed which will be scored when flying less or exactly 2 hours (or whatever the time window is for that particular day). But how will you score a flight which will exceed this minimum flight time? Can the pilot choose the point of time after exceeding the minimum flight time up to where he got the fastest average for his flight, or is it always calculated from the distance and time where and when he was landing?
Thanks for your answers. All my best greetings!
Philip
Philip Kolb is offline Find More Posts by Philip Kolb
Old Jun 26, 2015, 10:53 PM
Joined Jan 2005
315 Posts
Phillip

You are absolutely right about learning from studying the logfiles in the post flight analysis. I always review my flights with SEEYOU soaring analysis software. I find the statistics page especially helpful. It provides statistics such as : Time Circling, Time circling right, time circling left, rate of climb while circling right and left, Time in straight flight, speed in straight flight in rising air, speed in straight flight in sinking air, these and many other statistics provided are key to understanding if you reacted properly to the given conditions.

As you noted on Thursday we did complete the task twice. Flying the task a second time really does give you an advantage. You know that regardless of what happens on the second flight you have at least completed the task. As you noted you can fly much less conservatively. Also, having flown the task once, you now have a much better feel for the air, knowing what kind of thermal strength to expect. This allows you to reject the weaker thermals, knowing there are stronger ones.

As for the scoring of the POST task, if you fly longer than two hours, the time is determined by your landing time. The distance is calculated by the point in your flight path where you were closest to the next turnpoint.

John
Old Jul 04, 2015, 01:39 PM
Find More Posts by Anker
Stealth Plane Works
USA, MA, Stow
Joined Sep 2004
618 Posts
Loads of pictures

First of all, thanks to everybody for a great time. I had a blast and will be back next year for Montague 2016, this time I will also participate more directly in the flying. Yesterday I ordered a trailer frame and my wife has agreed to come along and make it an extended cross country road trip. I am also in full swing getting planes built in time to get familiar with them before we head out.

A special thanks to Deal Gradwell for hosting us, John Ellias for CDing the GPS triangle races and for scoring, Ron McElliott for CDing the XC tasks, Mike Nelson for letting me join his team and David Beach for inviting me to come along.

I took a lot of pictures. http://ankersimages.smugmug.com/phot...lbumKey=bHXrZK is a link to a slide show of all the pictures. If you would like to download full resolution copies of some of the photos http://ankersimages.smugmug.com/All-...Country-Soarin is a link to the Smugmug galleries.

I had expected the event to be somewhat intimidating, but on the contrary, the atmosphere was relaxed and the attitudes of everybody wonderfully inclusive.

Both GPS triangle racing and the XC tasks were really interesting, involving a lot of strategy deciding whether to take advantage of a thermal and if you did, how long to stay in it.

Hopefully I will see you all again next year.

Anker
Anker is offline Find More Posts by Anker
Last edited by Anker; Jul 04, 2015 at 02:07 PM.