Old Feb 06, 2015, 12:56 PM
Find More Posts by Diesel6401
Memento Mori
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Sep 2009
3,079 Posts
Discussion
Hobbyking Van's RV-4, 1600mm

I haven't been able to find much information on this plane. The little I did find, was in the fuel section. Most if not all of the video's (not many anyway), that I've seen on YouTube were all fuel. So with that said, I ordered this plane yesterday and can't wait for it to arrive. I'll be going electric

Quote:
The RV-4 is one of the most succesful and best selling "home-builds" in the world, the RV-4 is an aerobatic aircraft that is quite capable in terms of cross-country, in fact this particlar model is based on the RV-4 used by Jon Johanson for his famous Millenium 2000 Round the World Solo flight.

This great looking ARF is built using a traditional semi sheeted light-ply/balsa construction for a combination of low weight and strength. The covering is printed to give a high detail finish which includes panel lines and rivets while the high gloss finish makes for easy cleaning and excellent durability. The RV-4 is supplied with a very comprehensive hardware kit that includes a unique engine/motor firewall mount system for either glow or EP power trains, an alloy spinner, fuel tank & engine mounts, heavy duty & anodised clevis and pushrods, etc. The RV-4 is also practical, the tail is removable and the wings are a plug in arrangement, the model also features robust main under-carriage and a steerable tail wheel.

The RV-4 features all those attibutes you would look for in a great sport model, a light flying weight combined with a generous wing area for predictable yet nimble flight characteristics, flaps for excellent slow speed handling and of course robustness & practicality, throw in the great scale looks, the high level of included hardware and the very attractive price, it's pretty clear the RV-4 is a steal!

Features:
• Lightweight Construction
• Printed Covering with High Level of Detail
• Robust Under-Carriage
• Comprehensive Hardware Kit Included
• Glow or Electric Power
• Fast Build
• Plug In Wing

Specs:
Wingspan: 1600mm
Length: 1190mm
Weight: 3000g

Requires:
6 Channel Transmitter and Receiver
7 x Std Servo (6 x for EP version)
0.46 ~ 0.52 Two Stroke Glow Engine
42mm Motor 600kv ~ 650kv (EP Version)
3300mAh ~ 4000mAh 4s Lipo Battery (EP Version)
60A OPTO ESC (EP Version)
RX Battery
RX On/Off Switch
UBEC/Regulator if applicable (Lipo RX Battery)
Diesel6401 is online now Find More Posts by Diesel6401
Last edited by Diesel6401; Feb 06, 2015 at 01:12 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 25, 2015, 06:07 AM
Memento Mori
Joined Sep 2009
3,079 Posts
Well I'll update.

Been working on this lately. Definitely not the greatest kit, but seems like a decent bang for the buck. A few things were wrong out of the box.

-broken stringers
-missing hardware
-incomplete instructions
-some parts are poor quality

You definitely can tell where they "cut cost" so to speak. The instructions (if you want to call them that) are more just a point in the general direction. If you've built a couple ARFs and don't mind figuring things out as you go than you shouldn't have an issue. Also having a decent spare hardware supply helps. For $100 for 1600mm balsa plane, this is pretty much what I expected.
Last edited by Diesel6401; Feb 25, 2015 at 06:18 AM.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 11:48 AM
Find More Posts by Scooch
United States, NJ, Jackson
Joined Nov 2011
398 Posts
What are you using for the motor/esc?
Since I ordered the plane from HK, I went ahead and ordered the rest from there also. I'm using This motor.
And This ESC.

I agree with your assessment of the model. Not bad for the money but it does have some shortcomings and, as we all know, HK customer support is not the greatest.

I did away with the wheel pants all together. They were not drilled properly and would not clear the wheels. Not a big deal as the pants would not have been good for the grass field that I fly on anyway.

The majority of the build went very easy. Aside from some minor issues, I completed it quickly. The biggest problem that I had was that the flaps would not raise to level with the wings. It was worse on one side than the other. I have managed to get them ALMOST all the way up. I will just trim them so that they are even on both sides. Should not have a big impact on the flying. I could pull them and re-work but I don't think that is required at this point.
Scooch is offline Find More Posts by Scooch
Old Mar 02, 2015, 07:21 AM
Memento Mori
Joined Sep 2009
3,079 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooch View Post
What are you using for the motor/esc?
Since I ordered the plane from HK, I went ahead and ordered the rest from there also. I'm using This motor.
And This ESC.

I agree with your assessment of the model. Not bad for the money but it does have some shortcomings and, as we all know, HK customer support is not the greatest.

I did away with the wheel pants all together. They were not drilled properly and would not clear the wheels. Not a big deal as the pants would not have been good for the grass field that I fly on anyway.

The majority of the build went very easy. Aside from some minor issues, I completed it quickly. The biggest problem that I had was that the flaps would not raise to level with the wings. It was worse on one side than the other. I have managed to get them ALMOST all the way up. I will just trim them so that they are even on both sides. Should not have a big impact on the flying. I could pull them and re-work but I don't think that is required at this point.
I'm using the same motor and a ZTW 80amp ESC.

I'm changing out all the control horns and I'm going to order some Dubro ones. I attached the wheel pants, but was a pain. I'll be off grass also, fingers crossed they work.

Also I'll be using a Hobbywing ubec.
Old Mar 02, 2015, 07:25 AM
Memento Mori
Joined Sep 2009
3,079 Posts
One problem I had was broken wood out of box, no complaints - repair and keep it moving.
Old Mar 02, 2015, 03:29 PM
Joined Nov 2011
398 Posts
I'm going to keep the current control horns. I don't think they will be a problem. We shall see. I'm looking forward to getting this in the air. It's ready to go, just waiting on mother nature to come through with some decent weather. Not this week. Snow and ice on the ground and it looks like 2 more storm systems this week.

I did need to add some weight to the tail to achieve CG.
Old Mar 03, 2015, 12:40 PM
Memento Mori
Joined Sep 2009
3,079 Posts
Quote:
I'm going to keep the current control horns. I don't think they will be a problem. We shall see. I'm looking forward to getting this in the air. It's ready to go, just waiting on mother nature to come through with some decent weather. Not this week. Snow and ice on the ground and it looks like 2 more storm systems this week.

I did need to add some weight to the tail to achieve CG.
What size battery you using?

I'm going with 4s 4000-5300mah.

Adding weight to tail, interesting. Normally with GP/EP birds you need to add nose weight, because electric setup is typically less than a GP setup. I'm suspect on adding nose weight. I'll see where she sits at when I'm done. I still have some work to do.

How did you attach the cowling? Have any pics?
Old Mar 03, 2015, 01:15 PM
Joined Nov 2011
398 Posts
I'm using Turnigy 4S 4000mAh batteries.

I attached the cowl using 4 small screws. Worked well.
Old Mar 05, 2015, 06:59 AM
Memento Mori
Joined Sep 2009
3,079 Posts
Quote:
I'm using Turnigy 4S 4000mAh batteries.

I attached the cowl using 4 small screws. Worked well.
To the firewall/motor mount wood or to the fuselage itself?

I have a Turnigy 4s 4000 as well and I'll use my Gens Ace 4s 5300 also.
Old Mar 05, 2015, 07:09 AM
Joined Nov 2011
398 Posts
The screws are into the fuse.
Old Mar 10, 2015, 04:33 PM
Memento Mori
Joined Sep 2009
3,079 Posts
Quote:
The screws are into the fuse.
Thanks.
Old Mar 10, 2015, 04:34 PM
Memento Mori
Joined Sep 2009
3,079 Posts
So a little a flustered. When putting the tail together the elevator control rods where pretty far off, no big deal I'll make an adjustment. So I pull the rods out and see this nonsense.

The majority of the control rod is plastic tubing. Only the beginning and the end are actual metal. I can see enough force ripping the metal rod out of the plastic say coming out of a nice dive and pulling back on the elevator. Then on the 2 lock-collars, not a single drop of loctite on either one. Nuts.
Old May 13, 2015, 05:59 PM
Memento Mori
Joined Sep 2009
3,079 Posts
Update!

She flies like a dream! After all the frustration, she was a beauty in the air. Maiden flight was fantastic. Eased on the throttle, tail popped up nicely and she smoothly and effortlessly took to the sky. A few clicks of trim and she was dialed in. I brought other planes with me, but this was all I wanted to fly.
Old May 15, 2015, 07:36 AM
Find More Posts by rlake
Joined May 2015
3 Posts
Nice! It's good to see someone else likes this model after its maiden flight�� I'm in the process of finishing the same plane with an electric setup and whats slightly concerning is the way the landing gear bottoms out on the rubber bushings instead of against the fuselage. How did yours turn out?
rlake is offline Find More Posts by rlake
Old May 15, 2015, 11:39 AM
Memento Mori
Joined Sep 2009
3,079 Posts
Turned out fine with rubber. That was a little unusual for me also, but it worked and the planes sits down and lands nice and smooth.