SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 18, 2015, 02:35 PM
Find More Posts by Dadawada
United States, NC, Cary
Joined May 2014
304 Posts
I ended up picking up the plane. It had been crashed but the only damage was to the nose which had split open at the seam. Glued it back together and it was good to go.

I noticed it had a 60 amp ESC, what looks to be an updated motor, and the wing spars have been replaced with hollow carbon fiber rods.

I just finished setting up the test radio to check the plane out before I move my gear FPV and flight controler from the Scout.

Hope to test this afternoon.

Does anyone know the length of the stock wing spar. I noticed there appears to be a carbon fiber wing tube in the wing the spar goes into but the spar I have only goes about halfway into the wing.
Dadawada is online now Find More Posts by Dadawada
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 18, 2015, 06:15 PM
United States, NC, Cary
Joined May 2014
304 Posts
Flew great. I must have an upgraded motor in mine. Not underpowered at all. But it went through a 5000mhA battery pretty quickly.

Cant wait to get my Vector and FPV gear installed.
Old Jul 25, 2015, 08:34 PM
United States, NC, Cary
Joined May 2014
304 Posts
Adding the Vector Flight Control and FPV gear shortened the 5,000mhA battery power. So I picked up a pair of Venom 5,000mhA 11v batteries and a parallel connector. I'm going to add some fiber tape around the front and rear of the wing saddle to strengthen for the exta pound of weight but hopeful the run time at least doubles and the flight characteristics aren't effected too bad.

with a 94" wingspan, it should handle the weight fine. Don't have an AUW but will get that next so I know what I'm dealing with.

Next will be the 1.3g video and a long distance (maybe DragonLink) UHF flight system).
Old Jul 25, 2015, 11:10 PM
Find More Posts by FlyingGolem
Subsurface flying expert
United States, NC, Raleigh
Joined Oct 2012
211 Posts
My friend ran his with two 5000s and GoPro (no FPV gear) for a combined powered/glide flight of 45 minutes. We kept rotating pilots through the controls because guys were getting tired.
FlyingGolem is offline Find More Posts by FlyingGolem
Old Jul 26, 2015, 07:27 AM
United States, NC, Cary
Joined May 2014
304 Posts
Glad to hear. With the flight control and video hear pulling power, I'm thinking I will get about 30 minutes.
Old Today, 07:00 AM
United States, NC, Cary
Joined May 2014
304 Posts
Setup for FPV. Can't believe I picked this plane up for $80. Whoever had it first had upgraded the ESC to a 60a and had upgraded the motor to a more powerful one.

I replaced the servos with Hitec metal gear high torque and that's it. Plane flies great. Getting the equipment sorted out so I get the best reception and signal.

Radio - FrSky Taranis Plus

Rx - was using an X8R but just purchased an L9R to replace it

FC - Eagletree Vector

VTx - cheap Boscam TS832 with IBCrazy antenna on channel 43

Goggles - Fat Shark Dominators

Display - Boscam 7" with diversity (one flat directional and one spiral)

Old Today, 08:37 AM
Find More Posts by BravoGolf
Spearheading an Alliance
United States, CO, Aspen
Joined Oct 2010
863 Posts
Nice!

Could you post some shots of inside the fuselage? I would like to see how you have it set up.

TIA,

BG
BravoGolf is offline Find More Posts by BravoGolf
Old Today, 12:46 PM
United States, NC, Cary
Joined May 2014
304 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BravoGolf View Post
Nice!

Could you post some shots of inside the fuselage? I would like to see how you have it set up.

TIA,

BG
Sure, got it pulled apart at the moment mounting the L9R Rx. But as soon as i do I'll take photos.

It's a mess though. Cables everywhere. I mounted the Vector between the rudder and elevator servos and the camera up in front as you can see. I ran the GPS outside and mounted on top of the wing saddle. I then mounted the Rx and V antenna on the right wing root near the fuselage.