New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 25, 2015, 08:46 AM
Find More Posts by ferincr
Costa Rica, San Jose, San Pedro
Joined Dec 2004
1,587 Posts
Ok, thanks MartinT. I only read the comments section for the size. Anyway, they also are out of stock so, which ever comes first.
I agree with the spinner size,I didn't mention that when I saw Clive66 post because I thought it might sound a bit too N-al in my part but I also think it evens looks better with the slightly smaller one (1 3/4" for me!!!!)
Fernando
ferincr is online now Find More Posts by ferincr
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 25, 2015, 09:39 AM
Find More Posts by Clive66
United States, CA, Fontana
Joined May 2011
3,026 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinT View Post
@Clive66: I'll measure the amps for you later today.
Note that although your 2 inch spinner fits the outline of the cowling of the plane exactly, the real Porter has a noticeable edge around the spinner, i.e. the circumference of the spinner is smaller than the fuselage (engine cowling) behind it. (probably for cooling purposes)
So a 1.75 inch spinner, gives the Multiplex model a somewhat more realistic outline.

You are correct about the real Porter spinner size, but for me, with the white spinner, i like the fit of the 2 inch (just me)
Also, there are not many 1.75 inch 3 blade spinners available.
The smallest Dubro makes is 2 inch (that's what's on mine)
I have looked at this one & will probably give it a try if i decide to go with an aluminum spinner.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...s_3_Blade.html

I'm looking forward to your test with the prop you're using.
I tried 2 different 3 blade props with more than a 5 inch pitch & both pulled too many amps at full throttle

The 10 x 5 Master "clone" that ferincr posted the link to, will probably give the same results as the genuine Master of that size that i am using on mine (Amp draw & Watts are very close to the readings i got with the stock 11 x 5.5 APC 2 blade.
Clive66 is offline Find More Posts by Clive66
Last edited by Clive66; Aug 25, 2015 at 09:58 AM.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 12:38 PM
Find More Posts by MartinT
Joined Mar 2006
545 Posts
Here's a reading I just took.
46.5 Amps (static thrust) is of course a little over the max rating, but in flight the prop unloads anyway so no problems. (done a couple of flights with it already)
And since it has crazy performance with this setup you hardly (if ever) need full throttle anyway. (I take off with just over half throttle...)
Of course all famous last words and no guarantees, your mileage may vary!
MartinT is offline Find More Posts by MartinT
Old Aug 25, 2015, 01:25 PM
Joined May 2011
3,026 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinT View Post
Here's a reading I just took.
46.5 Amps (static thrust) is of course a little over the max rating, but in flight the prop unloads anyway so no problems. (done a couple of flights with it already)
And since it has crazy performance with this setup you hardly (if ever) need full throttle anyway. (I take off with just over half throttle...)
Of course all famous last words and no guarantees, your mileage may vary!

Thanks for the info Martin.
That is pretty much what i expected your readings would be.

Bench test with the stock APC 11 x 5.5 prop showed 33 amps @ 370 watts.(Initial throttle up showed 35 amps @ 400 watts)
Your prop is pushing things a little to close for me with the 40 amp stock ESC.
I will stay with the master 10 x 5 3 blade.
Still has plenty of pull & the top speed is a little less, which is what i wanted.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 08:59 AM
Find More Posts by Charlie P (NY)
Gravity is weak but persistant
United States, NY, Port Crane
Joined Aug 2009
643 Posts
Mine came with a 1-3/4" spinner?

And, last night, my right front strut snapped. So I too joined the carbon-fiber core club. I drilled out the pieces and inserted a length of graphite U/L spinning rod tip set in epoxy mixed with micro-fibers. I knew those pieces of a snapped spinning rod would come in handy some day. ;-)

I set the spring back in place and temporarily masking-taped around the joing to hold the pieces together while it dried and also to make the spring-end part of the structure. A metal band embedded in strengthened epoxy. We'll see if the repair outlasts the unmodified strut on the other side; which I did remove and inspect for any signs of failure. None apparent.
Charlie P (NY) is online now Find More Posts by Charlie P (NY)
Old Aug 26, 2015, 04:50 PM
Joined May 2011
3,026 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie P (NY) View Post
Mine came with a 1-3/4" spinner?

They come stock with a 1.75 inch 2 blade spinner.

I was talking about a 1.75 inch 3 blade spinner.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 06:38 PM
Find More Posts by Charlie P (NY)
Gravity is weak but persistant
United States, NY, Port Crane
Joined Aug 2009
643 Posts
Ah.
Charlie P (NY) is online now Find More Posts by Charlie P (NY)
Old Yesterday, 03:14 PM
Find More Posts by ferincr
Costa Rica, San Jose, San Pedro
Joined Dec 2004
1,587 Posts
Well, I managed to snap my first motor shaft and people were right they are crap you just plant the plane nose first into the planet and they break
I'm done I'm moving to a softer planet!!!
In a more serious note I thing I remember somewhere along this thread the mention of where to get replacements so I'm in a reading mission now...
If not I guess I'll need to order some ejector pins or drill blanks.

EDIT: Well that was easier than I thought... I found the info right away Headsuprc I got a couple of them
ferincr is online now Find More Posts by ferincr
Last edited by ferincr; Yesterday at 03:44 PM.