WBPA Water Based Polyurathane
CapMike is offline Find More Posts by CapMike
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 11, 2012, 07:11 PM
I'm Addicted Already
Charlotte, NC
Joined Feb 2011
1,805 Posts
Chisel, huh? OK then. I'll give it a shot.
Also, what is the name of the chrome paint you used? And what is the name of the weather coat that you eventually rubbed out? I thought at one time I saw pictures and a description of how you rubbed that color back to the chrome? Was I imagining this? I thought it was on the wings.
WBPA id water based poly acrylic. I think it is a little different than the poly urethane. But I am not sure... i think most people use WBPA as opposed to WBPU.
NCRealEstateGuy is offline Find More Posts by NCRealEstateGuy
Old Oct 11, 2012, 07:43 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,940 Posts
Ah so you're glassing with the poly and not resin?

When I say chisel I mean a very tiny one. I also used a scalpel to cut lightly into the skin of the balsa first around the outer edge so that it would come away cleanly...

The paint is White Knight Super Chrome. But be warned, it stays quite soft, and will need a coat of clear immediately after it is dry. I had a lot of trouble putting transfers on, and my mask for the stars and bar in the wing pulled all of the paint back off. I think a clear coat will resolve this though. Still haven't fixed that yet.

It comes out in a mirror finish, which is great for that right from the factory look. I decided to rub it back with 0000 grade steel wool a bit to put a more weathered finish on it.
Gree is offline Find More Posts by Gree
Old Oct 11, 2012, 08:01 PM
Airplane crasher
USA, CT, Shelton
Joined Jan 2008
2,732 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCRealEstateGuy View Post
WBPA id water based poly acrylic. I think it is a little different than the poly urethane. But I am not sure... i think most people use WBPA as opposed to WBPU.
Yep your right my bad
Old Oct 11, 2012, 09:38 PM
I'm Addicted Already
Charlotte, NC
Joined Feb 2011
1,805 Posts
Gree, didn't you lightly spray a brown paint over top of the chrome and then rub it off for that weathered look? Or am I thinking of maybe another thread. Thanks for the chrome paint name.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 09:50 PM
I'm Addicted Already
Charlotte, NC
Joined Feb 2011
1,805 Posts
Capt. Mike... I really do not know the difference between the two except that the urethane comes in a gold and brown can while the acrylic comes in a blue can. Maybe someone else can chime in with what the differences are as it relates to RC.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 10:11 PM
Airplane crasher
USA, CT, Shelton
Joined Jan 2008
2,732 Posts
Uruthane has a different hardness like the difference between epoxy and regular resin. In Fiberglass you use an acrylic resin for most applications. Epoxy is harder, but tends to soften in heat. I believe there is a UV resistance sifference as well
Old Oct 12, 2012, 02:41 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,940 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCRealEstateGuy View Post
Gree, didn't you lightly spray a brown paint over top of the chrome and then rub it off for that weathered look? Or am I thinking of maybe another thread. Thanks for the chrome paint name.
Sorry man not me...
Old Oct 14, 2012, 03:11 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,940 Posts
Spent a couple of hours riveting the fuse this afternoon, since I completed my other FPV build. Still a long way to go but it is looking good. I'll post photos when it is done...
Old Oct 16, 2012, 02:06 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,940 Posts
Rivets rivets rivets

Starting to get in the swing again
I have spent about an hour for the last couple of evenings progressing the rivets on the fuse. I am getting into a good rhythm again and have completed most of one side except the panels at the front. A lot more to do but we are getting there!

Of course I have not given the fuse the light sand it needs to knock off the rough bits and lumps caused by the burning process with the soldering iron yet. They'll look a lot nicer once that is done, and the pencil lines are gone.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 07:48 AM
Fly it like U stole it
Champaign, Il
Joined Mar 2008
2,418 Posts
Fantastic Gree!!!
You certainly found your stride again. Good work.
Oh and nice new work shop.

Matt
Pickle72 is offline Find More Posts by Pickle72
Old Oct 16, 2012, 10:33 AM
I'm Addicted Already
Charlotte, NC
Joined Feb 2011
1,805 Posts
Gree, are you doing both zuess fastners and rivets? If so, how did you find schematics for the fastners?
Old Oct 16, 2012, 04:11 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,940 Posts
Thanks Matt. NCrealestateguy, I have a lot of photographs showing where the fasteners go, and will be working from those. I have been meaning to send you some rivet resources actually. I also have a good book that is useful in PDF format I'll try and grab for you today if you're interested.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 09:45 PM
I'm Addicted Already
Charlotte, NC
Joined Feb 2011
1,805 Posts
I am interested. I plan on doing panel lines and some rivets and fastners, but I don't think I have the patience to do quite what you are doing. Any help from you is greatly appreciated.
I plan on updating my thread tomorrow.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 02:24 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,940 Posts
Rivet Placement Resource

Here is a zip file of all the documentation I have collected on rivets. Also the first plan I have attached in particular shows the locations of the fasteners, and I have photos in this collection of the front of the aircraft showing the fasters on the removable panels on the nose, and the fairings on the wing...

I haven't managed to pull the book off my iPad yet.

And what do you mean you won't be doing all of the rivets etc, thought your thread was called "going for detail"!?