HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 15, 2014, 05:43 PM
Isaiah 40:31
West Palm Beach, FL
Joined Jun 2000
689 Posts
Just wondering if anyone has used foam for parts or all of a free flight airplane. This is a Taylorcraft I did years ago and got antsy and wanted to get it done quickly, so I cut the tail feathers & wheels from meat tray foam.
I don't want to offend any FF authorities, FF is where I started in this hobby.
Just kicking around some visions in my head of carving foam & maybe a KF foiled wing for something quick. My shop isn't AC'd, so hanging out in there in the heat makes it tough.

Plus, I could probably get away with a few foam bits n pieces and carve with my hand held hot wire.

rc capo is offline Find More Posts by rc capo
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 15, 2014, 08:05 PM
Joined Jan 2007
584 Posts
Hi Rc capo , i use hot wired thin foam wings a lot . i have a very small baseball field to fly in with trees on the outskirts so have a good chance of loosing a model so have a hard time justifying a complete stick built plane lol, i am having very good results even though the weight is slightly more. if i took the time to do some cut outs in the foam body of my wings then cover with tissue i may come very close to a built up balsa job lol
larryg is online now Find More Posts by larryg
Old Jul 16, 2014, 12:00 AM
United States, MA, Waltham
Joined Dec 2001
6,931 Posts
Don't use KF airfoils if you want to stay up very long without using much power.

foam scale models don't seem to be unusual in the UK:
http://www.ffscale.co.uk/nats2011/yak7.jpg
Lots more pictures on that site. Reports of contests usually include a picture or two of them. Some are absolutely spectacular. In the US, the fact that foam models aren't legal for FAC events seems to prevent them from getting anywhere. However, I have seen some really nice models from Jack Kacian, George Nason and, I think, Tom Nallen. George's was a nice looking P-47 pistachio that must have been doing close to a minute.

If you want to do stuff like this, suggest use of Highload 60 or Plazamate. Easily carved and can be wet sanded to an extremely fine finish.

If I'm not mistaken, foam is still used as a core material in a lot of hi tech ff stuff.

Foam doesn't have tremendously high structural properties, but it's light, so it's good for keeping the strong stuff apart so you don't need as much of it. I have a workbench top that I made by gluing 1/2 inch plywood to both sides of a 2 inch piece of foam. It's stiffer and a little bit stronger than 2.5 inches of plywood. But I can carry it around.
lincoln is offline Find More Posts by lincoln
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: paper blast tube test
Old Jul 16, 2014, 07:21 AM
United States, UT, Salt Lake City
Joined Jan 2014
61 Posts
all foam with coffee stir stick wing brace and bbq skewer boom. wing DT foam board with airfoil sanded into it, pod DT foam laminated with rubber cement, tail is hefty foam plate. flies great and even my destructive son could not kill it most gliders only last under an hour with him he flew this thing for 2 hours solid and it had only minor damage
saltcitytattoo is offline Find More Posts by saltcitytattoo
Old Jul 16, 2014, 07:32 AM
Joined Jan 2007
584 Posts
That Qf11 foamy glider looks sweet, i am building a Flying Aces Moth regular stick build but got the idea to put together a quick stick fuse and foam hot wired airfoil wing to the same measurements as the moth just to get a feel for how the stick built model will fly. it worked and flew very good so that got me more excited to finish the stick build lol
larryg is online now Find More Posts by larryg
Old Aug 12, 2014, 10:34 PM
United States, MA, Waltham
Joined Dec 2001
6,931 Posts
Hip Pocket Aeronautics has a bunch of indoor free flight gliders that use a lot of foam:
http://www.hippocketaeronautics.com/...s.php?cat_id=9
You'll have to sign up to get the plans files, but it's free.

There are some designs that use meat tray foam, which seems to be pretty nice, fine grained stuff.
-----
Of course, commercially available models and kits have been using foam for decades. When I was a kid, I had a Testor's toy foam glider that looked just a little like an AA-6 and would get into spins sometimes. There was even a foam winged Sleek Streak for a while.
lincoln is offline Find More Posts by lincoln
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: paper blast tube test