HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 02, 2013, 01:01 AM
Flying Dutchman!
Nederland, FL, Emmeloord
Joined Sep 2011
366 Posts
Nice man!

But 45f I guess I'm hoping the full winter to 40c but it won't happen..... ;-)
Maybe I'll start building micro edf planes on gas for global warming like edf40 cox :-p
robertboxhoorn is online now Find More Posts by robertboxhoorn
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 02, 2013, 04:02 AM
United States, WA, Vancouver
Joined Mar 2012
739 Posts
thanks Robert,

well pulled the fan out and sure nuff all four screws that hold the motor in the housing were not only loose they were WAY loose, so I used a thin wire to spread some thick CA under the screw heads and ran them down tight, put everything back together and spooled her up, judging by the definite thrust increase I think the screws had been loosened while testing before the maiden...and it flew anyway so now I expect it should zip along even better!

maybe this weekend I get some more footage and see just how long these 360mah batts will go in this thing. very fun little jet to fly!

Joe
sloperjoe is offline Find More Posts by sloperjoe
Old Jan 02, 2013, 08:45 PM
United States, TN, Jackson
Joined Mar 2007
4,012 Posts
You can go 4S on the stock BH/ArtTech fan with motor combo...I took this vid last March with the winds HOWLING!!!...Even with the drop tanks on the ArtTech/BH F-86 was a missile!!!...I have a couple of vids with the drop tanks off and the plane is even faster...You can hear the RPM difference on 4S vs your 3S version...Here's the vid...

ArtTech Sabre 3 16 12 (4 min 4 sec)

Your "box" planes are DA BOMB!!!....With the MiG 17 being exceptional as you don't see these planes modeled hardly at all....

Kevin
Kevin Greene is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Greene
Old Jan 03, 2013, 02:26 AM
Joined Mar 2012
739 Posts
hey thanks Kevin!
I knew I saw this video someplace before, while researching the different power set-ups in the various micro jets...looking for suitable fan units other than the AEO stuff. your video was actually what got me to buy a couple of these fan/motor units from Banana Hobby off the "parts" section for the Art Tech F-86. the other criteria I had was it needed to have enough poop to fly a model with regular servos and RX, which these do. I did take the case off the RX not so much for weight savings but to get rid of as much airflow blockage as possible. the servos are mounted inside the fuse but I cut a block out of the inside layer so they are tucked in away from the flow.
as far as going 4s with this model....I don think I can get a 4s pack in it and maintain CG without adding weight to the tail. if I had made it a touch bigger it probably wouldnt be a problem. mabey the next model I'll build as a 4s version with the other fan unit
does look fast and fun!

thanks again!

Joe
Old Jan 27, 2013, 06:16 AM
Crystal River Fl.
Joined Jul 2008
3,681 Posts
Joe, nice project, I really like the Migs, they look very cool in the air.. Can you show where you've got the receiver and battery located? Thx w
Waltjg is offline Find More Posts by Waltjg
Old Jan 27, 2013, 06:19 AM
Crystal River Fl.
Joined Jul 2008
3,681 Posts
Oh, and tell your daughter excellent camera work keeping up with these little guys! w
Old Jan 27, 2013, 02:07 PM
Joined Mar 2012
739 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waltjg View Post
Joe, nice project, I really like the Migs, they look very cool in the air.. Can you show where you've got the receiver and battery located? Thx w
Howdy Walt!,
I really love this one, flies even better with the motor screws run down tight
took some pics for you, they're a bit fuzzy but you can see where everything is mounted. some of you will cringe when you see everything is mounted in the intake airflow... trust me, looks "rat-nesty" but the fan gets plenty of air, and everything stays cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waltjg View Post
Oh, and tell your daughter excellent camera work keeping up with these little guys! w
thanks Walt, its great to have her shoot these, its alot better than my cheezy hat cam

Joe
Old Jan 27, 2013, 09:34 PM
Crystal River Fl.
Joined Jul 2008
3,681 Posts
Thanks for the pics Joe! This is a cool little plane... Still have that little aluminum fan I bought, maybe abit bigger version of this for that fan... Hummmmmmmmm. w