SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by Michael Powell, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 03:43 AM
United Kingdom, Cowbridge
Joined Jan 2009
30 Posts
Discussion
MicroJet

I managed to get airborne twice on Thursday, no mean achievement, with a normal javelin throw rather than use a bungee assist. The wind was too strong for anything else to fly other than at full throttle, but the wind helped give the MicroJet some take off speed, so it was useful.

Once airborne, the MicroJet ignored the wind, and skimmed about in wide sweeping arcs from one end of visibility to another. I reached for my glasses but failed, which should have been a message to land and put them on. It was a low-cloud day and eventually the plane, all white of course, clipped into the corner of a cloud.

It soon disappeared altogether, flashing a few times, but not giving me much idea which was up, and which down. Eventually I could see nothing, so powered down and waited. I should have put in full up elevator and waited for something to flutter out of the cloud.

Instead there was a brief flash of plane zipping earthwards between the cloud and the edge of the ridge. I just had time to line it up with a bush before locking up the van and marching off along the line to the bush and beyond.

I failed. There were lots of trees, bushes, heather and bracken below the ridge, and the speedy almost vertical descent would have meant the plane was out of sight below the canopy of foliage.

But I was looking too near to where I had been standing. I went back on the next day and walked straight out along my sight line for about thirty minutes. It was steep, there were fences and there was a lot of foliage to delay me, but it was still a long way.

After starting to return, I spotted the MicroJet on the ground, or at least much of it. The nose and battery were both firmly stuck a long way up the tree. One day I may go back, but I can't imagine that it will have blown down, and the tree is too spindly to risk climbing. Not at my advanced age anyway, it might be months before I was found!

But at least I got back the expensive bits like the receiver and motor. And everything works too. I happen to have a replacement MicroJet all ready for the gear, so I am reasonably content.

I don't often lose planes, but with this fast MicroJet, I have come close a few times. It's difficult to see against a white sky, and it does travel fast. I suppose that it's time to admit that a sixty-four year old needs to fly bigger planes.

But it's a lovely plane after the trauma of the torque rolls on take off, and although I flew a few other planes on that day, this was the only one that coped with the very still breeze, and it was the smallest of the lot.

Perhaps I need to paint it.
Michael Powell is offline Find More Posts by Michael Powell
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 29, 2012, 05:05 AM
Happiness is a warm ESC.
Ballarat Vic. Australia
Joined Jun 2008
350 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Powell View Post

Perhaps I need to paint it.
It does help. ( And I only have 42 year old eyes.)
Stretch1 is offline Find More Posts by Stretch1
Old Oct 30, 2012, 07:19 PM
United Kingdom, Cowbridge
Joined Jan 2009
30 Posts
Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch1 View Post
It does help. ( And I only have 42 year old eyes.)
Ha!! Might come to that, but I hate painting. I might try some Solarfilm to see how it works on Elapor.

No, the right answer is to wear my glasses and stop being a 64-year old speed king. and avoid cloud.

But then, the MicroJet is great fun.
Michael Powell is offline Find More Posts by Michael Powell