HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 21, 2013, 11:04 PM
Gone Flying
United States, IN, Covington
Joined Dec 2012
790 Posts
Don't let the sore heads get you down George. I was at a two day conference Monday and Tuesday and during the after lunch break on Tuesday jumped over to see if you had posted any new videos. I noticed it had been some time since you posted even on here. I figured work or weather had kept you grounded. Sorry to hear you removed some of your content I guess I don't often go back in forums I am current on unless I am looking for something. I saw your latest videos were still up but no new content. You have posted some great stuff and I have enjoyed our talks about the ICON.

Some of the threads seem to take sudden and well "interesting" directions. With HH dropping the price on the ICON so much interest spiked and many new ICON owners jumped into the mix. This by itself isn't bad but of course some can get overzealous. My contributions lessened and nearly stopped figuring I would wait until the new toys lost their shine for many and their attention moved to newer shiny toys. I have made a few posts in the ICON forum but pretty much just kicked back and enjoyed your videos and other forums for a while.

Hope you keep posting as I do look forward to your input on the ICON and your flights and enthusiasm . I am still looking for the day you hit the throttle and shoot under the bridge! I have to admit, it crosses my mind every time you land at the bridge. It might not end well but it would be epic!

Keep safe and hope you enjoy the Holidays!

Brian
TechJunkieRC
TechJunkieRC is offline Find More Posts by TechJunkieRC
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by TechJunkieRC; Nov 21, 2013 at 11:14 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 22, 2013, 06:05 AM
AMA # 949551
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Oct 2009
2,106 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechJunkieRC View Post
Don't let the sore heads get you down George. I was at a two day conference Monday and Tuesday and during the after lunch break on Tuesday jumped over to see if you had posted any new videos. I noticed it had been some time since you posted even on here. I figured work or weather had kept you grounded. Sorry to hear you removed some of your content I guess I don't often go back in forums I am current on unless I am looking for something. I saw your latest videos were still up but no new content. You have posted some great stuff and I have enjoyed our talks about the ICON.

Some of the threads seem to take sudden and well "interesting" directions. With HH dropping the price on the ICON so much interest spiked and many new ICON owners jumped into the mix. This by itself isn't bad but of course some can get overzealous. My contributions lessened and nearly stopped figuring I would wait until the new toys lost their shine for many and their attention moved to newer shiny toys. I have made a few posts in the ICON forum but pretty much just kicked back and enjoyed your videos and other forums for a while.

Hope you keep posting as I do look forward to your input on the ICON and your flights and enthusiasm . I am still looking for the day you hit the throttle and shoot under the bridge! I have to admit, it crosses my mind every time you land at the bridge. It might not end well but it would be epic!

Keep safe and hope you enjoy the Holidays!

Brian
TechJunkieRC

+1

Yah, this "interweb" thingy is a mixed blessing. Folks who have the predilection to be manner-less jagoff's ITRW have a lovely place to ply their trade anonymously.

The benefits outweigh the detriments by a mile IMHO.

I just stay away, far away from the trolls as apparently they haven't been breast fed.

b

PS If I may ask, what "shiny" things are catchin' yer eyes these days?
rikybob is online now Find More Posts by rikybob
Old Nov 22, 2013, 07:01 AM
Gone Flying
Joined Dec 2012
790 Posts
I love the ICON and would love to have a version 2 of that. My most recent plane is the Flyzone Beaver. Just a beautiful flier and fun to add scale detail to. Snow and water will be great fun with it.

As far as a plane I would like to have there are several. I am torn between getting a warbird like the P51 or A1 Skyraider or staying with scale civilian and getting a Cessna 182 which my dad flew. In time I will have each. My philosophy is to buy a plane and learn that plane and become confident and as proficient as I can before I move to another plane. I have been flying a year and only have three so far and that is the right pace for me.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 22, 2013, 08:06 AM
above us only sky
United States, SC, Greenville
Joined Jan 2006
822 Posts
Thanks for the support guys. Weather was nasty this week, so I'm relying on video memories.

TJ, I think you need a UM Icon next. Just saying.

Shiny things. Needful things. I look around in hindsight at my other planks - super cub, stinson, albatros, carbon cub, gee bee - and I wish they were all Icons. And with so many interchangeable parts, someday they probably will be Icons.

It's a disease.
Renfield is offline Find More Posts by Renfield
Old Nov 22, 2013, 12:05 PM
Gone Flying
Joined Dec 2012
790 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renfield View Post
Thanks for the support guys. Weather was nasty this week, so I'm relying on video memories.

Shiny things. Needful things. I look around in hindsight at my other planks - super cub, stinson, albatros, carbon cub, gee bee - and I wish they were all Icons. And with so many interchangeable parts, someday they probably will be Icons.

It's a disease.
I have considered it. I didn't think I would like a UM size plane but after seeing you fly the ICON it really seems to fly well and looks great! The size would be great for taking on vacation and could be flown in smaller places than my other planes. It is under consideration!

Our weather has bee poor as well. Sunday we had tornadoes blow through. I am in the process of having one of our offices repaired from tornado damage. Fortunately just a roof and sign, I was able to get it back open pretty quickly. Since Sunday it has been rain and wind. Oh well, this too shall pass! I bought LED lights to install on my Bixler to keep me occupied. It is getting dark so quickly that it is too dark to fly by the time I get home. The lights should be fun!

Hope you have a great Holiday and get some flying in!
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 22, 2013, 01:20 PM
AMA # 949551
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Oct 2009
2,106 Posts
Quote:
I love the ICON and would love to have a version 2 of that. My most recent plane is the Flyzone Beaver. Just a beautiful flier and fun to add scale detail to. Snow and water will be great fun with it.

As far as a plane I would like to have there are several. I am torn between getting a warbird like the P51 or A1 Skyraider or staying with scale civilian and getting a Cessna 182 which my dad flew. In time I will have each. My philosophy is to buy a plane and learn that plane and become confident and as proficient as I can before I move to another plane. I have been flying a year and only have three so far and that is the right pace for me.
(I'm going to hell for this) WOW what a nice Beaver!!!

Apparently we are kindred spirit in our behavior. I have literally flown the pants off of my trainer, the Slow Stick and am in dept to an old internet bud who literally forced me into it!

My next step is the T-28 of which friends ITRW own and will tutor me on. Then after some weeks/months I will tackle the ICON that my wife kinda sprung on me!

Hmmmm wonder what my next should be?? My birthday is in March..........been eyeballing THIS!

All the best!!

b
Old Nov 22, 2013, 01:25 PM
AMA # 949551
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Oct 2009
2,106 Posts
Quote:

It's a disease.
Yah, I boat for a living and am an airplane enthusiast although I don't fly. I always loved our Lake Aircraft that my agency has.

I suspect that if I fall in love with the ICON too I'll need to snatch up a PNP kit or two as alas, they are going the way of the Dodo?

b
Old Apr 15, 2014, 02:29 PM
above us only sky
Joined Jan 2006
822 Posts
Another fly-along with my older PZ Icon.

Cheers!

Chasing the plane (7 min 41 sec)
Old Apr 15, 2014, 06:21 PM
Gone Flying
Joined Dec 2012
790 Posts
Quote:
Another fly-along with my older PZ Icon.

Cheers!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32ZjqQVojso
I threw a comment at you on your YouTube video which I saw before your posts here. I was eating dinner when I watched it and I must admit your wife trash talking your landing made me laugh! She seemed in good humor! I thought it was a decent landing yet it must not have been up to her high standards!

Glad to see you still enjoying the ICON. I so wish Horizon would come out with the larger ICON again! Mine is still flying well, though I must admit I have put it through more than a plane should have to endure, yet it still keeps on going like it was new!

Here's to a great spring and summer flying!

Brian
TechJunkieRC
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 16, 2014, 09:03 AM
above us only sky
Joined Jan 2006
822 Posts
Quote:
I threw a comment at you on your YouTube video which I saw before your posts here. I was eating dinner when I watched it and I must admit your wife trash talking your landing made me laugh! She seemed in good humor! I thought it was a decent landing yet it must not have been up to her high standards!

Glad to see you still enjoying the ICON. I so wish Horizon would come out with the larger ICON again! Mine is still flying well, though I must admit I have put it through more than a plane should have to endure, yet it still keeps on going like it was new!

Here's to a great spring and summer flying!

Brian
TechJunkieRC
Hey Brian! Thanks for your support. I think the landings with my UM Icon have her thinking I should do it that way all the time. As if.

I really thought we'd see the V2 announced by now. But the UM missed the summer window last year, so there's still hope. I've got plenty of Icon-shaped foam to hold me over.

I enjoyed your Phantom viddy from Maui while posting yesterday. Very smooth view of paradise. I'm so jealous. We went to Myrtle Beach.

Happy landings!
George
(laughing like) Renfield
Old Jul 29, 2014, 08:01 AM
above us only sky
Joined Jan 2006
822 Posts
After two years missing in action, the LHS has stock (one) of the 72" Icon from NFD Hobbies. It's been my holy grail. When I thought it was coming in two years ago, I bought all the electronics and a prop, which I still have.

Karen was pushing me to get it, and my buddy at the shop even offered up a "they'll fuss at me" discount.

It's a tribute to the fantastic experience provided by Horizon/ParkZone, and to the terrible experience with the smaller HK/NFD Icon, that I was able to walk away. Despite having the gear to complete it!

I've become a discerning Icon addict.

If anyone is looking for the big Icon, it looks like NFD has made another batch. Be prepared to replace the nose gear.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 12:00 PM
Gone Flying
Joined Dec 2012
790 Posts
Quote:
After two years missing in action, the LHS has stock (one) of the 72" Icon from NFD Hobbies. It's been my holy grail. When I thought it was coming in two years ago, I bought all the electronics and a prop, which I still have.

Karen was pushing me to get it, and my buddy at the shop even offered up a "they'll fuss at me" discount.

It's a tribute to the fantastic experience provided by Horizon/ParkZone, and to the terrible experience with the smaller HK/NFD Icon, that I was able to walk away. Despite having the gear to complete it!

I've become a discerning Icon addict.

If anyone is looking for the big Icon, it looks like NFD has made another batch. Be prepared to replace the nose gear.
Good to hear you are still enjoying your ICONs! I am still flying mine and hoping, though not expecting, Horizon to put out a V2 of the larger ICON. I would have to buy one in a heartbeat!

Good flying!

Brian
TechJunkieRC
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 30, 2014, 08:45 AM
above us only sky
Joined Jan 2006
822 Posts
Hey Brian! I've been distracted by the 350qx, but had both Icons in the boat yesterday. Got in a few nice runs before winds got out of hand. Glad you're still flying yours.

I will be very surprised if the V2 never arrives. But I was expecting a midsummer teaser like last years UMX.

Happy flying
George
Old Jul 30, 2014, 10:03 PM
Gone Flying
Joined Dec 2012
790 Posts
Quote:
Hey Brian! I've been distracted by the 350qx, but had both Icons in the boat yesterday. Got in a few nice runs before winds got out of hand. Glad you're still flying yours.

I will be very surprised if the V2 never arrives. But I was expecting a midsummer teaser like last years UMX.

Happy flying
George
George, funny you say that. I bought a Phantom V1.1.1 around December and I have had a blast with it. I was even fortunate enough to be able to take it to Hawaii with me earlier this year. I had some great flights and videos. I posted a couple on my "MyTechWebTV" YouTube channel. Quads can be a lot of fun! I am thinking of trying out a 250 size quad like the BlackOut for kicks.

Glad to hear from you and see that you are still having a blast! Be safe and Happy Flying!

Brian
RCG Plus Member