HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 21, 2012, 06:47 AM
Joined Aug 2011
6 Posts
Discussion
Getting dad back into boating

Looking at getting my dad an rc sail boat for Christmas. When we were kids, we used to take cheap little boats out in the pond. Had lots of fun.

I'd like to get him an entry level rc good quality boat, not necessarily a cheap toy. I'm leaning toward an rc sail boat because he has sailed a full scale boat a couple times and enjoyed it. With only about $100-$150 to work with is this possible?

Any tips or suggestions? Are sailboats too hard to maneuver and transport? I'm attaching a photo of a pond he frequents, is this too small? He does go to many larger lakes as well.

Many thanks.
indyemmett is offline Find More Posts by indyemmett
Last edited by indyemmett; Oct 21, 2012 at 07:00 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 21, 2012, 07:31 AM
Norman2
Connestee Falls, Brevard, North Carolina
Joined Mar 2006
389 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by indyemmett View Post
Looking at getting my dad an rc sail boat for Christmas. When we were kids, we used to take cheap little boats out in the pond. Had lots of fun.

I'd like to get him an entry level rc good quality boat, not necessarily a cheap toy. I'm leaning toward an rc sail boat because he has sailed a full scale boat a couple times and enjoyed it. With only about $100-$150 to work with is this possible?

Any tips or suggestions? Are sailboats too hard to maneuver and transport? I'm attaching a photo of a pond he frequents, is this too small? He does go to many larger lakes as well.

Many thanks.
Hi, I think the only RTR Sailboat that you can consider is the Nirvana (Thread in
this forum) . It is a very good sailboat and easy to transport. Regards
Norman2
Norman2 is offline Find More Posts by Norman2
Old Oct 21, 2012, 08:50 AM
United States, KS, Wichita
Joined Feb 2008
351 Posts
The Rtr Micro Magic is a good choice too...

Available from Graupner USA for about $350.
flatlandsailor is offline Find More Posts by flatlandsailor
Old Oct 21, 2012, 10:17 AM
hass-alfed and bass-ackwards
United States, AZ, Chandler
Joined Jun 2008
5,297 Posts
The Westward 18 by Proboat is available through Horizon Hobby, which means it should be easy for just about any hobby shop to order you one. The go for right around $150 RTR, and I've heard they are a good boat, for the money. If he's just going out so sail for kicks and grins, it should fit the bill nicely.

Here's a thread on the boat.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ht=westward+18
carlsoti is offline Find More Posts by carlsoti
Last edited by carlsoti; Oct 21, 2012 at 10:27 AM.
Old Oct 21, 2012, 11:07 AM
Boomer1
United States, CA, Temecula
Joined Sep 2009
3,474 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by indyemmett View Post
Many thanks.
The pond appears to be large enough - the depth of the pond is a consideration as well. A boat the size of the Westward 18 doesn't draw much water, but the pond should be at least 2 feet deep and reasonably free of plant growth, and free of more solid hazards like big rocks.

You budget is a bit low but the Westward 18 sells for $149.00 plus shipping and depending on where you are they could be sales tax, so you are going to be a bit over your budget by the time you get the boat home.

I agree the Nirvana is an excellent choice but beyond your currect budget. Checking in on E-bay can yield a few nice deals from time to time on used boats. But it helps to know what you are looking for to know when some thing is a real value or not. The Micro Magic is one of the finest sailing small boats out there, but again, more than your budget permits.

An online company called Hobbyking.com sells some "decent" boats at attractive prices - keeping in mind that their boats generally are not RTR and will require a battery holder about $6 and a radio and receiver. They also sell some low priced radios and receiver sets for less than $35. With shipping even their lowest priced boat and radio set up is still going to be over your budget.

Take a look at this link - remember you have to add the shipping costs - that is done by adding an item to the shopping cart - that will open the next window that shows the shipping charges - you don't have to buy when you do this - all you do is close the window -

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ail_Boats.html

Whenever some one mentions this company's boats it seems to bring along comments from some forum members suggesting caution with these boats.
Which is fair - but has to be put in context - of"you get want you pay for". This is long story and has been covered in countless posts on RC sailing forums so we don't need to get into to much detail at this point.

The current economy is affecting the RC sailboat manufacturers as of late and sadly we are seeing a number of popular models being discontinued at least for now. That could change as the economy changes.)

The nice thing about the Westward is that your are dealing with Horizon Hobbies which is good company with good customer service and warranty protection.

There is a thread on this forum on the Westward 18 if you haven't read through it yet, I am sure you'd find it of interest. Here is a link to that thread http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ht=westward+18

I recently picked up a "new in the box" Kyosho Fortune 612 (24") for about $100.00 - There were two more just sold on E-bay also new for about the same. These are very nice boats and complete with radio "RTR". The fortune is a little larger than the Westward and has a good reputation as well.

If you are stuck with your current budget your choices are limited - but that is ok.

Enjoy
Boomer
Boomer1 is offline Find More Posts by Boomer1
Old Oct 21, 2012, 02:17 PM
Kimo
United States, HI, Honolulu
Joined Jun 2011
498 Posts
Boomer is right about your limited choces in boats with your budget. There are some good boats out there at your budget but they will need some minor work on them, such as any of the Hobby King boats. On those boats the first thing that should be done is tp change the rigging lines as they use a thread that begains to fray after a short time. Also any HK boats will need the ballast bulb to be filled weight, outside of that they are a good buy for the low cost.
Because of several reasons I was unable to get down to the pond to sail my other boats I brought a Westward 18 and it is a nice little boat. All it needs is battries and putting on the keel bulb and rudder and you and ready to go sailing. Because of the trade winds around the condo pool it was always overpowered in the pool. But I did make it to the pond one day and took it and the Westward is a nice little boat to
sail.With its small size, low cost it is a great boat to start out with and if you enjoy sailing you can always move on to larger boat later on.
I would say with your limited budget go with the Westward. For appox.$189 deliverd to your door it is a nice boat to get your feet wet and to see if you enjoy rc sailing.
Hircsailor is offline Find More Posts by Hircsailor
Old Oct 21, 2012, 03:47 PM
FROM THE MIND OF A MADMAN
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Apr 2007
3,258 Posts
Indy are you much of a builder ? The Victor boats are nice, but in your price range they only come as kits. Are there weeds in that pond? Some of the long keeled boats do not like weeds, so you might prefer something like the Mini Soling or V32.
gpzy is online now Find More Posts by gpzy
Last edited by gpzy; Oct 21, 2012 at 03:56 PM.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 02:02 PM
Kimo
Joined Jun 2011
498 Posts
I was just on HobbyKing web site and the cost for a 2.4 radio system and a Turnigy 610 ARTR sailboat was $165 delivered to Hawaii from their USA warehouse. I am sure that delivery charges to the mainland would be a lot cheaper. What I"m trying to say is that for someone that is interested in rc sailing but not sure that they will like it this provides a cheap way to start in the hobby. They can always upgraade to a better model if they like sailing, if they decide that they don't like sailing they are not out a lot of money as it is not always easy to sell used rc sailboats.
Indy said that he was buying a rc sailboat for his father for Christmas, but I'm not sure if his dad has showen an interest in rc sailing or not. So a boat from HobbyKing or the ProBoat Westward 18 would be a good choice for him to buy as a starter boat. That is just my choice.
Last edited by Hircsailor; Oct 22, 2012 at 02:03 PM. Reason: Correcct spelling
Old Oct 22, 2012, 07:55 PM
Australia, TAS, Penguin
Joined Mar 2012
489 Posts
@HircSailor:
Have a look at the 800mm Surmount from Hobbyking if it avalable in the US store - cheaper than the Turnigy 610, a great boat IMHO
mrpenguin is offline Find More Posts by mrpenguin
Old Oct 22, 2012, 08:31 PM
Kimo
Joined Jun 2011
498 Posts
As of this morning the Surmount is backordered in both the US and China warehouses . And who knows when it will be in stock.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 07:07 AM
Australia, TAS, Penguin
Joined Mar 2012
489 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hircsailor View Post
As of this morning the Surmount is backordered in both the US and China warehouses . And who knows when it will be in stock.
I am in Australia, bought from the Aussie warehouse - they are also out at present - HK seem to keep restocking, so may be worth the wait.

The early Surmount had a small keel bulb - would only load up to about 650 -700 grams. These later models have a larger bulb, I got 980 grams in mine, they sail much better in heavier weather - video of mine on a rough day here:
Surmount in windy conditions (2 min 38 sec)

Only issue with the Surmount is the hatch - I seal mine with electrical tape, works great...
mrpenguin is offline Find More Posts by mrpenguin
Old Oct 23, 2012, 12:59 PM
United States, DE, Lewes
Joined Dec 2005
398 Posts
Surprised that no one has mentioned the Thunder Tiger Victoria! It's close to your price - Abt. $139 + shipping(Tower Hobbies & elseware). Add a cheap radio from HK or maybe Hobbypartz & a couple of servos & you're good to go. I don't personally have one(I scratch build my boats), but if you search this forum you'll see lots of good info. about them. From what I've seen here, they sail pretty well stock & with some mods they're very good. Chances are that wherever he lives there will be other Victoria sailors.

good luck in your search - I think your dad will love sailing R/C boats!
werlec is offline Find More Posts by werlec
Old Oct 23, 2012, 01:29 PM
Boomer1
United States, CA, Temecula
Joined Sep 2009
3,474 Posts
To complete a TT Victoria kit is not much different than the complete cost of V 32 or any of their other similar or smaller kits. They each require a decent sail servo, standard rudder servo and of course a radio and receiver. I think building a boat kit together would certainly be a rock solid experience!!

This is why at the budget that has been outlined, the choices are limited. Shopping around for a used boat could be a good option - but our new friend is new and is not going to be the best at determining a good value.

If he is locked into his max budget of $150.00 there are only a few choices - which have been pretty well covered.

Build a Victoria, several Victor kits, and a bunch of other boats. I have found some very attractive deals on previously owned boats - who knows he might get lucky and find a deal on a Nirvana of Victoria that is already build and complete??

Anyone out there looking to sell a boat?

Boomer
Boomer1 is offline Find More Posts by Boomer1
Old Oct 29, 2012, 02:20 PM
Joined Aug 2011
6 Posts
All great suggestions! I have worked with RTF (ready to fly) aircraft, but never a boat. I'm guessing there isn't a huge leap between the two....

Thanks for the great ideas within my budget. I'd hate to invest a lot of money in something he may not be too interested in - although I'm sure he will be.

I like the look and price of the Surmount, but I am also considering the Proboat Westward.

I am also snooping around ebay for good leads too. Thanks!
Last edited by indyemmett; Dec 16, 2012 at 02:14 PM. Reason: corrected spelling
Old Dec 16, 2012, 02:03 PM
Joined Aug 2011
6 Posts
I wanted to update everyone that I bought a Pro Boat Westward 18 Sailboat from Horizon Hobby. Everyone's input was very helpful and did not go unread! I really was going into this blind.

The Westward 18 is a little smaller than I wanted, but I figured it would be a lot easier to transport. While I personally enjoy putting kits together, I figured I should go with something ready to run out of the box. I'm now debating about getting a boat myself. Maybe the Surmount : )