HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 20, 2012, 06:04 AM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Jul 2012
37 Posts
Discussion
UGV Builds (Unmanned Ground Vehicle)

Thought i would start a new Thread just for ground FPV vehicles or UGV's. pretty much just another show and tell. story's videos and distance records you may have achieved with the video system.

Just to start i will put mine up.

1/8 HSP rock crawler: Build in progress.
- 2x 5000mha 2cell Lipo runs both 540 motors/esc
- 1x 1500mah 3cell Lipo runs RX, Servos, 12v sbec (soon to run lights and AV TX)
- Turnigy 9x TX

Soon to have
- 5.8g 500mw AV TX (now changed to 1.2Ghz)
- 4x LED lights
- 1080p HD waterproof camera
- 4x4 steering
- UHF radio module system (in the distant future)

Here is my youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/StillOnTheRun44/videos

Everything is water tight (other than the Lipo's) so if anyone has any ideas about making the lipos water proof (othe then buying new ones ) please give me a suggestion. she doesnt look like much now but i have some big plans for this 1/8 crawler. but any suggestions and questions are welcome. hopefuly the ordered camera and led lights with come soon. then next on the list is the 500mw AV TX and the four wheel steering parts.

Also post up builds of your own! would like to see what everyone has done! and the ideas you have all come up with!
StillOnTheRun44 is offline Find More Posts by StillOnTheRun44
Last edited by StillOnTheRun44; Aug 23, 2012 at 09:35 PM. Reason: Update
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 20, 2012, 06:57 AM
United States, IN, Carmel
Joined Jan 2008
2,501 Posts
Did you already place an order for that 5.8Ghz video system? Try to cancel it then.

I am afraid that 5.8Ghz won't take you too far on the ground. In fact you will not let you drive out more than a few meters in open space. Driving behind objects - any object! - is out of question too!

/Dimitrios
Dimitris76 is offline Find More Posts by Dimitris76
Old Aug 20, 2012, 07:26 AM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Jul 2012
37 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimitris76 View Post
Did you already place an order for that 5.8Ghz video system? Try to cancel it then.

I am afraid that 5.8Ghz won't take you too far on the ground. In fact you will not let you drive out more than a few meters in open space. Driving behind objects - any object! - is out of question too!

/Dimitrios
No i have not ordered it yet. i have already a 200mw 5.8g system and that gets me around 300m but unfortunately there is not a lot of options when it comes to wireless video here in Australia well not legally anyways.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 07:35 AM
Joined Jan 2008
2,501 Posts
I would suggest to go to the lowest frequency that is practically possible for video transmission on the ground. That would be 900Mhz. After all weight and antenna size is not an object on a ground vehicle.

Another option that you could explore would be digital video transmission over wifi network. Granted it's a 2.4Ghz microwave band but you get a much more robust digital data connection with error correction, etc. Essentially you take advantage of all the latest wireless technology has to offer...

/Dimitrios
Old Aug 20, 2012, 06:04 PM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Jul 2012
37 Posts
Quote:
I would suggest to go to the lowest frequency that is practically possible for video transmission on the ground. That would be 900Mhz. After all weight and antenna size is not an object on a ground vehicle.

Another option that you could explore would be digital video transmission over wifi network. Granted it's a 2.4Ghz microwave band but you get a much more robust digital data connection with error correction, etc. Essentially you take advantage of all the latest wireless technology has to offer...

/Dimitrios
Cheers mate, ill do some more research to what radio bands i can use. hope fully i can find something. ill look into a 2.4ghz system too but im running a 2.4ghz remote so there will be interference.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 06:11 PM
Joined Jan 2008
2,501 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillOnTheRun44 View Post
ill look into a 2.4ghz system too but im running a 2.4ghz remote so there will be interference.
By careful! I didn't suggest using 2.4Ghz for traditional video transmission over analog Tx-Rx.
I said that you could experiment using video over Wifi that generally plays nice with other FHSS, DSSS and OFDM digital systems on ISM bands.

Something like a powerful access point on with directional antenna at your base station and a Client with Omni antenna on the rover.

/Dimitrios
Old Aug 20, 2012, 08:05 PM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Jul 2012
37 Posts
Quote:
By careful! I didn't suggest using 2.4Ghz for traditional video transmission over analog Tx-Rx.
I said that you could experiment using video over Wifi that generally plays nice with other FHSS, DSSS and OFDM digital systems on ISM bands.

Something like a powerful access point on with directional antenna at your base station and a Client with Omni antenna on the rover.

/Dimitrios
okay ill give it all a google. do you have any links or suggestions?
Old Aug 20, 2012, 08:10 PM
Australia, ACT, Canberra
Joined Dec 2011
137 Posts
OK - Here's the summary of my setup:

1/8 scale HSP Crawler ($154.50 from Ebay)
x1 5200mah 2s Lipo for vehicle ($21.63 Hobbyking)
x1 5000mah 4s Lipo for cam/tx etc... ($23.32 Hobbyking)
x2 CCbec pro switching regs - one programmed at 5 volts for RX/servos, one programmed at 12volts for TX/lights/zoom camera/zoom relays ($32.57 ea from Ebay)
Cameras - modular camera/pan/tilt systems - one with Gopro ($191.95 ebay), one with x270 zoom day/night security cam ($101.69 ebay). Both with Servo block ($25 Servocity) GWS S125 360degree sailwinch servos (for pan) ($19 ebay) and Hitec HS325HB servos (for tilt) ($13 Servocity) through Gyro for camera stabilisation - Titan 720 head lock (.01cent + $11 post off ebay )
Clear 2mm pvc plastic for waterproof caseing.
Tekin TT1091 FXR esc (to replace crappy original) ($90 ebay)
Video TX - Lets just say I use the lowest legal frequency highest power I can get away with
Toroids on everything
Welded steel brake pipe roll cage designed to help vehicle get back on it's wheels
All mounted on modular FPV Backpack (that can also fit on my Turnigy Trailblazer Monster truck $206.78 from Hobbyking)
Steering Servo/s: Waterproof Hitec HS-646WP ($36.65 ebay)
Vehicle control - Dragonlink ($287 from Dragonlink)
Lights - Modular waterproof light bar with x2 36LED 840nm IR LED Arrays (for wet night missions) ($2.69ea ebay) or for dry (with waterproof casing removed) x1 36 LED array mounted to zoom camera ($7.95 ebay).
Radio controlled 'switches' to operate lights/video power/zoom/focus relays ($6.63 Hobbyking)
Homemade Dipole antennas on vehicle (video antenna soon to be replaced with cloverleaf)
Eagletree - OSDpro/V4 logger/GPS - essential for night time navigation ($66.02OSD, $49.53 E-logger, $66.14GPS - Hobbyking)
EagleEyes FPV station ($61.04 Hobbyking)
12dbi Yagi mounted on roof (of house) (soon to be replaced with Helical) ($20 ebay)
Tracking mounts for yagi - homemade with mini hub bearings, GWS 360 degree servo and vcr gears
Boosted ($90 Flyton) Dragonlink TX mounted on roof
Roof links via CAT5E cable routed into study
Sound - Built in HiFi speakers/amp in study
Controlled via Games steering wheel/pedals connected to modified Turnigy 9x ($39.99 Hobbyking) flashed to ER9X software (Free from here) using a PGM-09825 AVR pocket programmer ($14.95 from Sparkfun)- 12 channel - via Compufly ($67 Flytron)
Ground recorder - BEVRC PV700 video recorder ($120 BEVRC)
Video - through Fatshark RCV922BASE ($230 Hobbyking) or Vivid 32" LCD TV
Ground station powered with power packs (not batteries) operated with one switch.

Range acheived so far 1.75kms (in hilly heavily treed area). (Video)

Video Channel (Click here)

Boy! sorry for the long list but someone may find something usefull in there!
Bluestreak007 is offline Find More Posts by Bluestreak007
Last edited by Bluestreak007; Aug 23, 2012 at 10:50 PM.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 08:16 PM
Australia, ACT, Canberra
Joined Dec 2011
137 Posts
I agree 5.8ghz is totally the wrong end of the frequency spectrum for ground vehicles.
Ideally 910mhz high powered system is much better.

For waterproofing lipo batts you can see here:
RC ADVENTURES - Waterproofing RC, CHEAP! Example Model: Axial SCX10 RC Truck - Tutorial (34 min 42 sec)

It's a long video so skip to the 24:30 mark. (basically use silicon to seal all the gaps)

Hey Dimitris - have you tried the Wifi digital system you are talking about? Sounds pretty cool but I am curious about the range and latency of it.
Bluestreak007 is offline Find More Posts by Bluestreak007
Old Aug 20, 2012, 08:47 PM
Joined Sep 2007
747 Posts
Awesome to Bluestreak!!! Thank you som much with all your help. I am proceeding with ground vehicle and with roof array/indoor station.

Currently I have Axial 1/10th scale crawler pretty much stock with 1280mhz video transmitter 300mw CL antenna and FM 72.150mhz contril link (JR Radio). My control link starts to glich at about 650 feet (200 meters).

First Person Video Driving Remote Control Truck #1 (6 min 28 sec)
benderfly is offline Find More Posts by benderfly
Old Aug 20, 2012, 09:16 PM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Jul 2012
37 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluestreak007 View Post
I agree 5.8ghz is totally the wrong end of the frequency spectrum for ground vehicles.
Ideally 910mhz high powered system is much better.

For waterproofing lipo batts you can see here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzmK_tvbejE
It's a long video so skip to the 24:30 mark. (basically use silicon to seal all the gaps)

Hey Dimitris - have you tried the Wifi digital system you are talking about? Sounds pretty cool but I am curious about the range and latency of it.
Thats some list you have there mate! makes me see i have a very long way to go before im ready for any decent range . and cheers for the video link, i think ill have to look for this waterproofing goo stuff. but i love your set up! something for me to aspire too
Old Aug 20, 2012, 09:21 PM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Jul 2012
37 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by benderfly View Post
Awesome to Bluestreak!!! Thank you som much with all your help. I am proceeding with ground vehicle and with roof array/indoor station.

Currently I have Axial 1/10th scale crawler pretty much stock with 1280mhz video transmitter 300mw CL antenna and FM 72.150mhz contril link (JR Radio). My control link starts to glich at about 650 feet (200 meters).

http://youtu.be/zCZ0JQ43g5U
Nice video mate! i like the portable station you have made up! how do you find the 1280mhz video transmitter? do you get much interference?
Old Aug 20, 2012, 09:27 PM
Joined Sep 2007
747 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillOnTheRun44 View Post
Nice video mate! i like the portable station you have made up! how do you find the 1280mhz video transmitter? do you get much interference?
Thanks! I use 1280 for my planes and quad so it was obvious try for the truck. I got fully behind a house and barn on level ground at about 400 feet and the video was OK but the control glitched terribly and I had to raise the transmitter as high as possible to get it around the buildings. Need a bigger truck so I can separate the components better and use a slightly stronger video tx. Going to take ideas from you guys to build a better rig now that I know it can be done.

I have a dual fan SP antenna and a 5 turn helical on diversity for video reception. Wondering if using a Dragonlink instead of 72mhz will help control issue?
benderfly is offline Find More Posts by benderfly
Old Aug 21, 2012, 03:35 AM
Joined Jan 2008
2,501 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluestreak007 View Post
I did try it but not on an FPV application. Essentially it's nothing more than video/audio streaming in local area network over Wifi. There are hundreds of commercial and freeware applications for this.

Latency is NOT an issue over Wifi.

/Dimitrios
Old Aug 21, 2012, 07:17 AM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Jul 2012
37 Posts
Okay after speaking to Bluestreak007 and looking around, i think i may have found a cheap way for a decent Wireless AV setup.

just tell me what you guys think?

RX/TX:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/220712444...84.m1436.l2649
RX antenna:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/280392311...84.m1436.l2649

I already have a 900mhz system that i have been unsuccessful in getting to work on my area (mobile phone network used 900mhz GSM) but the 1.2Ghz system seems to be reasonably clear with the odd computer wireless system using that frequency. its not really legal but its the best i can come up with with out going 2.4G or back to 5.8G. Or i could go the wifi like Dimitris76 has suggested but i would not even know where to start. seems very complicated to a newbie like me. at the moment i will be happy with around 700m maybe push it to 1km but with the system above i hope i will easily make that, but yes any suggestions or comments are welcome