HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 18, 2012, 06:18 PM
Whoooo!
Summerville, SC
Joined Jan 2009
1,717 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete_g View Post
Can anyone that has landing gear installed and zero problems care to elaborate on their setup?
These people exist? Without a mix in the radio? I'd like to hear from them too!

Also some tips on thrust angle adjustments from people in the know on that kind of stuff would be nice.
StormJunkie is offline Find More Posts by StormJunkie
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 18, 2012, 07:52 PM
What?!? I didn't do that!
Orchard Park, NY
Joined Dec 2002
267 Posts
Just some random thoughts and I could be all wet. For you guys that have it climb when inverted, are you using Gens Ace 1300s? I'm using that lipo and was having the similar issue. The 1300 is a pretty tall pack and I was wondering if it was causing a lot of air resistance. I was thinking maybe it was trimmed out for upright flight but the resistance was causing it to pitch up when inverted. My whole CG changed when I added lights but at the same time I added a bit of EPP that was sloped in front of the battery to help the air flow around the pack. I'm balanced at the same spot I was before and now I have no issues and the nose drops just a touch when inverted.

Now I don't know if the piece of foam helped at all or just the change in position of the pack after the lights were added made the difference but something changed. I just thought I'd throw it out there to see what anyone else thought or if you tried different packs and got different results.
gremlin is offline Find More Posts by gremlin
Old Mar 18, 2012, 08:32 PM
Whoooo!
Summerville, SC
Joined Jan 2009
1,717 Posts
What about KE?
Old Mar 18, 2012, 08:49 PM
What?!? I didn't do that!
Orchard Park, NY
Joined Dec 2002
267 Posts
It will need a touch of KE mixing but nothing dramtic. I keep flying KE and saying "I have to mix a bit of this and a touch of that" but then start having so much fun with this plane that by the time I land I forget what I had to change. Some day I'm going to have to have someone take notes for me so I can remember what to mix.
gremlin is offline Find More Posts by gremlin
Old Mar 18, 2012, 09:17 PM
Sky Pilot
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Feb 2004
964 Posts
I agree.. I don't like mixing to correct KE issues. I like to do it all manually to "fly" with my own feel . If you fly this bird enough, it becomes instinctive... you know how much to add (and with those surfaces, it doesn't take much throw!).
four stroke pwr is online now Find More Posts by four stroke pwr
Old Mar 19, 2012, 07:49 AM
United States, VA, Berryville
Joined May 2010
363 Posts
I have the Gens Ace 1300 and fly slightly nose heavy so it won't climb while inverted. Also while in KE it will fly towards the canopy.
kellyzo6 is offline Find More Posts by kellyzo6
Old Mar 19, 2012, 08:38 AM
Whoooo!
Summerville, SC
Joined Jan 2009
1,717 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyzo6 View Post
I have the Gens Ace 1300 and fly slightly nose heavy so it won't climb while inverted. Also while in KE it will fly towards the canopy.
This means something is NOT right with the CG or thrust angle...With so many having the issue, I have a feeling this is a thrust angle issue.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 09:13 AM
Joined May 2010
363 Posts
That could be possible with mine, I have ripped out the firewall on more than one occasion
Old Mar 19, 2012, 09:21 AM
Whoooo!
Summerville, SC
Joined Jan 2009
1,717 Posts
This is a problem with new builds too Kelly, so your firewall rebuilds may be just fine.

And it seems the issue is consistent...Either it fly's level and will KE with very minor coupling, but will balloon inverted, OR it will fly level inverted & level, but will couple hard to canopy in KE.

Where are all the thrust angle experts?
Last edited by StormJunkie; Mar 19, 2012 at 09:29 AM.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 09:37 AM
Joined May 2010
363 Posts
Part of me understands that it is a foamy and won't be as precise as a balsa. I have lots to learn.
Old Mar 30, 2012, 03:58 PM
Joined Feb 2011
229 Posts
The one thing i dont like about my 38", is how bad it stalls out inverted... Upright i can do whatever i want.. Inverted slow speed, i have to be geeeeentle on the down elevator.. It flicks immediately.. Inverted harriera are a paain to do.
And ive tried cg from 2,5" - 5"...

Sendt from my Galaxy SII..
Ola. is offline Find More Posts by Ola.
Old Mar 30, 2012, 10:47 PM
Whoooo!
Summerville, SC
Joined Jan 2009
1,717 Posts
Still believe this is a thrust angle issue...Just wish I knew enough about thrust angle to provide some insight.
Old Apr 04, 2012, 07:37 PM
United States, MO, St Louis
Joined Jan 2009
451 Posts
I have a Thunder Power 1350 on mine. Climbs when inverted even with the battery way back... Where are you guys mounting your batteries on the planes that aren't climbing inverted? And how far back is the CG?
STLAV8R is offline Find More Posts by STLAV8R
Old Apr 05, 2012, 05:06 AM
Whoooo!
Summerville, SC
Joined Jan 2009
1,717 Posts
In order to prevent climbing, inverted or not...You would want to move the battery forward. problem is that you have to start compensating with some trim.

I need to send my motor back to Ken for some repairs I think, but when I get it back...I'm going to start playing with some washers under the mount and see if adjusting the thrust angle helps at all. I have no clue what I'm doing, but maybe I'll get lucky...
Old Apr 05, 2012, 10:38 AM
United States, LA, Moss Bluff
Joined Nov 2008
8,139 Posts
Yall should try running a lighter setup. Foamys light to be as light as possible. I fly with a smallish torque I got from 3DHS(tent sale), and a 1000 3s. My battery is probably back a little to far but it flies pretty neutral.
robj is offline Find More Posts by robj