SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 31, 2012, 11:16 PM
Better then Sliced Bread!
United States, CA, Arcata
Joined Oct 2011
2,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by magic_marty View Post
will it hurt if i upgrade my Devo8 to the 8s firmware without the module installed? I plan on getting the module later on but don't have it yet..

thanks..
All indications thus far seems to show it will work just fine. (Just telemetry wont work :P)
NorCalMatCat is offline Find More Posts by NorCalMatCat
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 31, 2012, 11:20 PM
<Marty>
United States, KY, Springfield
Joined Jul 2011
1,832 Posts
i tried it and it seems to be fine...also installed FDR's library and i like it a lot better then the old one...Thanks FDR great work on the library file...
magic_marty is offline Find More Posts by magic_marty
Old Mar 31, 2012, 11:25 PM
<Marty>
Joined Jul 2011
1,832 Posts
i just noticed when i power off it says the saving data box and the screen goes off and it comes back on and does the saving thing again before it shuts completely off...is this normal? or is there perhaps something wrong?
Old Mar 31, 2012, 11:35 PM
<Marty>
Joined Jul 2011
1,832 Posts
i replaced the 8s firmware back to the Devo8 and its not doing it anymore...so it seems it was the 8s firmware causing it to restart and shut down when turned off...not sure if it was because i don't have the module installed yet or something else but reverting it back to the 8 fw resolved the issue...
Old Apr 01, 2012, 01:05 AM
Joined Oct 2011
2,650 Posts
Quote:
i replaced the 8s firmware back to the Devo8 and its not doing it anymore...so it seems it was the 8s firmware causing it to restart and shut down when turned off...not sure if it was because i don't have the module installed yet or something else but reverting it back to the 8 fw resolved the issue...
My normal Devo 8 does the same behavior when using a lipo, I am honestly used to it. I have to unplug my battery and replug it in every time I go to turn my radio off.
Old Apr 01, 2012, 03:49 AM
Team WarpSquad
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,815 Posts
RE: CRC calculating

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalMatCat View Post
You don't it's something he had to do not you :P
Oh I know, but I'd like to know how to.
thwaitm is online now Find More Posts by thwaitm
Old Apr 01, 2012, 03:51 AM
Never trust laughing dolphins
Joined Feb 2011
2,095 Posts
Quote:
i tried it and it seems to be fine...also installed FDR's library and i like it a lot better then the old one...Thanks FDR great work on the library file...
I'm a bit more skeptical than you seem to be, but you probably should do the right thing and just update to the 8S firmware later.

So far no-one reported a crash of the firmware when installed on a Devo 8, but there are hardware differences so do not assume it won't be able to fail.
PHMX is offline Find More Posts by PHMX
Last edited by PHMX; Apr 01, 2012 at 04:23 AM.
Old Apr 01, 2012, 02:18 PM
Joined Oct 2011
2,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHMX View Post
I'm a bit more skeptical than you seem to be, but you probably should do the right thing and just update to the 8S firmware later.

So far no-one reported a crash of the firmware when installed on a Devo 8, but there are hardware differences so do not assume it won't be able to fail.
The only difference is the addition of a piece of hardware, the radio itself is the same.
Old Apr 01, 2012, 05:37 PM
Joined Feb 2011
2,095 Posts
Quote:
The only difference is the addition of a piece of hardware, the radio itself is the same.
No, it's the replacement of a piece of hardware. You take one module out, add another.

I'd agree that it's basically the same radio or else the receivers wouldn't work with either version anymore, but it's not the exact same at all.
Old Apr 02, 2012, 08:15 PM
United States, TX, New Braunfels
Joined May 2011
489 Posts
Hello

I have the Devo 8 and no book to go with it. Can someone please tell me how to start and stop the timer and how to adjust the lenght of time?

Thanks,

Travis MCH
Travis MCH is offline Find More Posts by Travis MCH
Old Apr 02, 2012, 10:42 PM
<Marty>
Joined Jul 2011
1,832 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis MCH View Post
Hello

I have the Devo 8 and no book to go with it. Can someone please tell me how to start and stop the timer and how to adjust the lenght of time?

Thanks,

Travis MCH
its in one of the menu's at the bottom there is a icon named "timer" if you select it you will be able to set it as a count down or a stopwatch ...as far as resetting it i just tap the arrow next to it on the main screen to reset it...
Old Apr 03, 2012, 12:20 AM
Joined Sep 2011
45 Posts
Quote:
its in one of the menu's at the bottom there is a icon named "timer" if you select it you will be able to set it as a count down or a stopwatch ...as far as resetting it i just tap the arrow next to it on the main screen to reset it...
You can start/stop either by setting and toggling a switch or select the timer and using the ENT button (start on press, stop on the next press).

Sven
helisb is offline Find More Posts by helisb
Old Apr 03, 2012, 12:27 AM
<Marty>
Joined Jul 2011
1,832 Posts
if you upgrade the firmware and library you will have the option of setting the timer to activate by stick movement...set mine to come on when i raise the throttle and it stops when the throttle is at lowest position....
Old Apr 03, 2012, 07:32 AM
Joined Feb 2011
2,095 Posts
Just a short how-to: Timer by throttle with the Devo 8:

First, be sure to update your radio to the latest firmware.

Go to Model Menu (the green gear icon on the main screen)

--> go to the new Stick Position Switch menu
--> set Switch to SPS0 SW
--> change Channel from Inhibit to Throttle
--> set Position to something very low, I'm using L 98% so the timer will start the moment my throttle is above zero % throttle
--> set On to 'High' if it's not already set to High.

Now go back to your main screen and touch the model icon to go to the Function Menu

--> scroll down to Timer
--> set Timer 1 to Countdown and Switch to SPS0 SW (it's now available to choose, note how the SPS1 SW is not available, because it's still set to Inhibit in the Stick Position Switch menu)
--> set Set Time to a value of your liking.
Old Apr 03, 2012, 10:06 AM
Joined Mar 2012
6 Posts
Quote:
All indications thus far seems to show it will work just fine. (Just telemetry wont work :P)
Telemetry will work just fine, I still haven't changed from the original module to the "telemetry supported" one, but everything works fine... Tried to fly my 60 size plane as far away as i could see it, and the telemetry didn't even glitch once. Guess you don't need the upgraded module unless you're using FPV or something.
ambakken is offline Find More Posts by ambakken