Old Aug 24, 2014, 12:17 PM
Surf's up!!
United States, Mt, East Helena
Joined Oct 2005
1,465 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis Suter View Post
Nice guys, really nice!
I really like how you capture people, planes, scenery, spectators. You really give a nice flare of what the Montana Summer ALES is all about.

Now what the heck am I up to here? "He's SAFE!"
That is exactly what you were doing Curtis, Carl had a real low angle of attack on landing and slid all the way up the landing tape

Thank you, I did concentrate more on the people aspect this year and really like the way the pilot/timer pictures turned out.

You all provide a ton of subject matter so all we have to do is point and shoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredM View Post
Keep trying! They are worth the time and effort!!!
Thank you Fred! Amie Took some awesome images herself! She should post them on RCGroups also, I will post some of these on FB later today.

Chip
sixty9mustang is offline Find More Posts by sixty9mustang
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 24, 2014, 01:00 PM
Seeker of Thermals
United States, MT, Kalispell
Joined Aug 2004
660 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sixty9mustang View Post
LOL! You and me both

I sit here and watch them upload, then POOF! they are gone again, LOL! I will try again. Only takes about 2 hours for them to upload.

Here is some more You are gonna need it.
Chip, I did an experiment in the 'test' forum on rcgroups. I uploaded a 16 megapixel image straight from my Canon DSC. 5.2 megabytes in size, 4608 * 3456 resolution. Took 3 minutes and some second to upload to groups, on my DSL connection (10Mbps down, 1 Mbps upload speed).

When I went to view the post, rcgroups had resized the image, to 3088 * 2316 pixels, which cut the file size down to 1.2 megabytes. The original 5.2MB file I uploaded is gone forever, or stuck in the bowels of their server, never to see the light of day.

So, my suggestion to you is to resize all your pictures (keep the originals somewhere on your system), down to, say, 1600x1200 (or whatever the HD aspect ratio is) before uploading. Since most peoples' computer monitors are 1920x1080 max. resolution, some much lower. When I resized my original 5.2MB test image to 1600x1200, it brought it down to 400 Kb, or 8% of the original size. If the upload speeds are linear with size (should be fairly close), every 1 hour of your original large camera files would take less than 5 minutes at the resized smaller (1600x1200) sizes. A significant time savings. If anyone would happen to want the original sized picture to print or whatever, they could just ask you and you could email it to them.

There are lots of 'batch picture resizers' out there, I use one called Image Resizer for Windows. You just highlight the pictures (or the whole folder) you want resized, and then right click for a bunch of options (larger,smaller, copy the files or overwrite the originals, etc, etc.) Works great (Win 8.1).

--
Greg
botulism is offline Find More Posts by botulism
Old Aug 24, 2014, 01:58 PM
Surf's up!!
United States, Mt, East Helena
Joined Oct 2005
1,465 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by botulism View Post
Chip, I did an experiment in the 'test' forum on rcgroups. I uploaded a 16 megapixel image straight from my Canon DSC. 5.2 megabytes in size, 4608 * 3456 resolution. Took 3 minutes and some second to upload to groups, on my DSL connection (10Mbps down, 1 Mbps upload speed).

When I went to view the post, rcgroups had resized the image, to 3088 * 2316 pixels, which cut the file size down to 1.2 megabytes. The original 5.2MB file I uploaded is gone forever, or stuck in the bowels of their server, never to see the light of day.

So, my suggestion to you is to resize all your pictures (keep the originals somewhere on your system), down to, say, 1600x1200 (or whatever the HD aspect ratio is) before uploading. Since most peoples' computer monitors are 1920x1080 max. resolution, some much lower. When I resized my original 5.2MB test image to 1600x1200, it brought it down to 400 Kb, or 8% of the original size. If the upload speeds are linear with size (should be fairly close), every 1 hour of your original large camera files would take less than 5 minutes at the resized smaller (1600x1200) sizes. A significant time savings. If anyone would happen to want the original sized picture to print or whatever, they could just ask you and you could email it to them.

There are lots of 'batch picture resizers' out there, I use one called Image Resizer for Windows. You just highlight the pictures (or the whole folder) you want resized, and then right click for a bunch of options (larger,smaller, copy the files or overwrite the originals, etc, etc.) Works great (Win 8.1).

--
Greg
Greg,

Thanks for the info. What I have been doing to limit size is, I open all of the ones I want to post on-line, in Photoshop, I tweak (minor tweaks) color or contrast to just enhance image (if necessary), then I save it twice, once full resolution and one between 400 and 800 kb at full size. This does a couple of things, if people copy my images off of RCGroups they are getting low Res copies that will start to look horrible each time they save it or move it (jpeg being a lossy image), and it helps them load faster, like you are stating.

I am not sure what was going on last weekend with RCGroups website, it went through some changes and others were having issues just posting replies. My biggest issue, I found out last night, my son was playing a game on-line on his sister's laptop and my daughter was on Facebook and Youtube, so much for the bandwidth , I corrected that and what do you know, they uploaded.

I think I will also start actually resizing them to 1200x800 or 1600x1200, that will bring them down even further in size, maybe around 150-300 kb, that should help a lot also.

I am going to check out that batch resizing tool also, can never have enough tools.

Thank You,
Chip
sixty9mustang is offline Find More Posts by sixty9mustang
Last edited by sixty9mustang; Aug 24, 2014 at 02:07 PM.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 12:55 AM
For the sake of Flight
Joined Nov 2013
190 Posts
We're going flying at Wayne's tomorrow around 9:00 9:30 ish (AM)
Pi squared is offline Find More Posts by Pi squared
Last edited by Pi squared; Aug 25, 2014 at 08:28 AM. Reason: Clarity of time
Old Aug 25, 2014, 07:37 AM
Red Merle ALES
United States, Mt, Helena
Joined Apr 2002
5,494 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi squared View Post
We're going flying at Wayne's tomorrow around 9:00 9:30 ish
Won't it be dark that late at night as don't you have school when 9:00 9:30 ish occurs in the morning?

Some of us have to work. Enjoy the jet noise!

Curtis
Curtis Suter is offline Find More Posts by Curtis Suter
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 25, 2014, 08:27 AM
For the sake of Flight
Joined Nov 2013
190 Posts
Thanks
Old Aug 25, 2014, 06:57 PM
Red Merle ALES
United States, Mt, Helena
Joined Apr 2002
5,494 Posts
Flight report?
Curtis Suter is offline Find More Posts by Curtis Suter
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 25, 2014, 10:04 PM
registered weapon
United States, MT
Joined Mar 2008
3,246 Posts
It's only 9:05, they prolly just started flying? Seems kinda dark
IHAVAWDY is offline Find More Posts by IHAVAWDY
Last edited by IHAVAWDY; Aug 25, 2014 at 10:11 PM.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 11:33 PM
For the sake of Flight
Joined Nov 2013
190 Posts
Hehehe
Old Aug 25, 2014, 11:34 PM
For the sake of Flight
Joined Nov 2013
190 Posts
Got all my Indicator light and beacons set up on my sailplane.