SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 30, 2014, 06:35 PM
United States, CA, La Honda
Joined May 2014
100 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpatrick View Post
I will check that, what size screws are what should be in there?
Not sure what size is suppose to be there. Motion RC sent me a replacement hardware pack to fix the problem, but the hardware package sent didn't have anything in it for mounting the nose gear. I went to a hardware store and bought short wood screws with a flat countersunk head that looked like it would fit the recess on the retract. I just bought a few of a couple of sizes and lengths. If you search on posts from me, you'll find one from a month or so ago that had a picture of the nose gear as it came with the small screws. I posted it and asked if they were too small, and they were.

Scott
seldredge is offline Find More Posts by seldredge
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 30, 2014, 09:54 PM
mkpatrick
Joined Mar 2011
1,192 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seldredge View Post
Not sure what size is suppose to be there. Motion RC sent me a replacement hardware pack to fix the problem, but the hardware package sent didn't have anything in it for mounting the nose gear. I went to a hardware store and bought short wood screws with a flat countersunk head that looked like it would fit the recess on the retract. I just bought a few of a couple of sizes and lengths. If you search on posts from me, you'll find one from a month or so ago that had a picture of the nose gear as it came with the small screws. I posted it and asked if they were too small, and they were.

Scott
What size did you end up going with?
mkpatrick is offline Find More Posts by mkpatrick
Old Yesterday, 01:44 AM
United States, CA, La Honda
Joined May 2014
100 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpatrick View Post
What size did you end up going with?
One of these, not sure which right now (don't have access to the plane), but I'd guess the smaller. It fits the tapered hole exactly. They are both about 1/2 inch long. The large one has a head that's 1/4 inch dia.
seldredge is offline Find More Posts by seldredge
Old Yesterday, 05:23 PM
United States, CA, Elk Grove
Joined Jan 2012
92 Posts
I would suggest, If you can, take the gear mounting plate with you and see what size screw fits into the hole and tapered part. That's what I usually do when I'm looking for a replacement.
jgroetsema is offline Find More Posts by jgroetsema
Old Yesterday, 07:54 PM
mkpatrick
Joined Mar 2011
1,192 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgroetsema View Post
I would suggest, If you can, take the gear mounting plate with you and see what size screw fits into the hole and tapered part. That's what I usually do when I'm looking for a replacement.
Is there anchor points in the fuse to drive screws into? Do they go in with a self tapping screw? Sort of like a wood screw?
Old Yesterday, 08:10 PM
mkpatrick
Joined Mar 2011
1,192 Posts
Mine seems to have come with a bad Y cable for the ailerons.
My Spectrum 9 ch 9020 also is not working. It flashes one time upon power up and then nothing.
I was hoping to fly this tomorrow.
Old Today, 12:15 AM
mkpatrick
Joined Mar 2011
1,192 Posts
Nose gear

The nose gear screws look to be fine. But I noticed a lot of play in the strut.

I see that the nose wheel strut can be simply, lifted right out of the retract, with only the music wire from the gear steering servo holding it in place.

Can this be right?

Is there some sort of grub screw to tighten here?
Old Today, 01:07 AM
Joined Jan 2012
92 Posts
On my nose wheel strut (Airfield very 2), it is held in by an "E" ring clip on the end of the shaft. You have to disassemble it to get to it. I'll see if I can't dig up some pics.
Old Today, 01:48 AM
Joined Jan 2012
92 Posts
Well, not exactly the nose gear, but should do.
[/IMG]Name: uploadfromtaptalk1409553423841.jpg
Views: 3
Size: 39.3 KB
Description: Name: uploadfromtaptalk1409553450344.jpg
Views: 2
Size: 23.9 KB
Description: [/IMG]in the first image you can see the trunnion (pivot point) attached to the end of the shaft. The brass insert is where set or grub screws would go. For it to steer, it needs to pivot.

In the second photo, part of the shaft extends through the trunnion. This is where the "E" ring clip would go. This is what keeps it from falling out. On the other end a collar is needed to keep the shaft from pushing through.

Hope this helps.
Old Today, 02:32 AM
mkpatrick
Joined Mar 2011
1,192 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgroetsema View Post
Well, not exactly the nose gear, but should do.
[/IMG]Attachment 7064141Attachment 7064142[/IMG]in the first image you can see the trunnion (pivot point) attached to the end of the shaft. The brass insert is where set or grub screws would go. For it to steer, it needs to pivot.

In the second photo, part of the shaft extends through the trunnion. This is where the "E" ring clip would go. This is what keeps it from falling out. On the other end a collar is needed to keep the shaft from pushing through.

Hope this helps.
Thanks for the help on this.

I've retracted it and extended it over and over. The gear can only come so far in (upwards) when extended. It hits a stop.
But if pulled on, it slides out. However the wire that goes to the steering servo, is kept into place by a keeper, preventing it from coming out of the gear bay, this seems to be whats holding the nose strut into place.
When rolling on the ground, there is no apparent up and down play.
However, there is some side to side play.

This is a V3, which has spring wires that close the gear bay doors.

If this is a defect, I can't see a way to fix it. I haven't messed with retracts much.

BTW- Is there a way to slow these gear down as far as extending and retracting them?