SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 23, 2012, 11:15 PM
War Plan Orange now in effect!
Philippines, NCR, Taguig City
Joined Dec 2008
80 Posts
My experience would certainly bear out that 55mm is indeed crazy tail heavy. If you standby, you will see what kind of luck I have on the remaiden when I move it substantially forward. Gotta reinforce the wing root joints first, though. Leaving today on a two week trip, so probably be a month before I get it out to the field again. There will definitely be video.
iraqi_cowboy is offline Find More Posts by iraqi_cowboy
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 24, 2012, 08:08 AM
Joined Sep 2010
204 Posts
Great Iraqi_cowboy that sounds like a plan.
I have an SU-27, an F-5 and a Pitts monster 12 to maiden so I'll be plenty occupied...
DHjets is offline Find More Posts by DHjets
Old Feb 24, 2012, 06:26 PM
no more glow models for me!!!!
bklyn n.y.
Joined Jan 2008
881 Posts
your thinking it to death.... just fly it.......
iflyrc1012 is offline Find More Posts by iflyrc1012
Old Feb 25, 2012, 10:06 AM
Joined Sep 2010
204 Posts
What? Like yours? LOL!
My fiberglass repair skills are not that good.
Old Feb 26, 2012, 12:17 AM
no more glow models for me!!!!
bklyn n.y.
Joined Jan 2008
881 Posts
like the saying goes
better to have flown and crashed, than to have a garage full of hangar queens hung from the ceiling!!!
iflyrc1012 is offline Find More Posts by iflyrc1012
Old Feb 26, 2012, 11:38 AM
KF5LDN FPV Junkie!!!
United States, TX, Lubbock
Joined Nov 2009
1,738 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by torque roll View Post
I was looking for a good, cheap HD camera I could mount internally in my smaller planes, and the little dice camera appears to match my requirements.
This is one I use for many FPV projects.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/150606257048...84.m1423.l2649
it's 690TVL and the color is very nice once the IR filter is installed. I wiil install one in my Reaper before I fly it.
Wizzard033 is offline Find More Posts by Wizzard033
Old Feb 26, 2012, 05:11 PM
The Fixer
Canada, ON, Milton
Joined Jan 2009
3,704 Posts
Wondering around my LHS, I came upon a master airscrew 11X7 pusher. Now I have my prop. Now to get this thing finished.
Martin Y is offline Find More Posts by Martin Y
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Flyfly Fox Glider
Old Feb 26, 2012, 10:41 PM
Joined Dec 2008
80 Posts
Martin - I did the same thing; happened to have an 11x7 pusher in my spares drawer and thought, cool, this will work out. But then I figured out that with a pusher prop you also have to have a pusher spinner, regardless of which end of the airplane it's mounted or which way the spinner is pointing. I, of course, did not have a pusher spinner and what I ended up doing was just using a tractor prop and a regular spinner. One of the best things about electric is you can make the motor turn whichever direction you want, so a pusher is not really ever necessary on a single engine aircraft. I didn't realize it either until I tried to mount the pusher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Y View Post
Wondering around my LHS, I came upon a master airscrew 11X7 pusher. Now I have my prop. Now to get this thing finished.
Old Feb 26, 2012, 10:55 PM
The Fixer
Canada, ON, Milton
Joined Jan 2009
3,704 Posts
Correct on that fact. I dont have a CR spinner yet. I may not use one. Undecided on that. But then I can get one here. http://www.maxxprod.com/mpi/mpi-291.html
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Martin Y; Feb 26, 2012 at 11:06 PM.
Old Mar 04, 2012, 11:06 AM
Joined Sep 2010
204 Posts
Ok, this may be trivial, however, I'd like to get opinions anyway.
The included carbon rod is not exactly beefy considering the overall weight and span of this airframe. Carbon rods have a spline, one side that has more resistance to flexing. This particular rod flexes easily in the other direction and has a slight curvature. When installed, which way do you think the allowable flex should be? Up? To create more dihedral when loaded? (this way helps eliminate anhedral when on the gear) OR, down to resist the flex under load? (this position creates a lot of wing droop when on the gear). Hope that is understandable.
Old Mar 04, 2012, 05:33 PM
The Fixer
Canada, ON, Milton
Joined Jan 2009
3,704 Posts
Now that is something I didn't know. I will have to ckeck mine out.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 07, 2012, 10:25 PM
Joined Dec 2008
80 Posts
Hmm. I haven't noticed a spline on my rod, will have to check it out. But, given the choice, I'd definitely orient it such that it worked to minimize the dihedral. Mine had far too much when loaded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHjets View Post
Ok, this may be trivial, however, I'd like to get opinions anyway.
The included carbon rod is not exactly beefy considering the overall weight and span of this airframe. Carbon rods have a spline, one side that has more resistance to flexing. This particular rod flexes easily in the other direction and has a slight curvature. When installed, which way do you think the allowable flex should be? Up? To create more dihedral when loaded? (this way helps eliminate anhedral when on the gear) OR, down to resist the flex under load? (this position creates a lot of wing droop when on the gear). Hope that is understandable.
Old Mar 08, 2012, 11:05 PM
Joined Sep 2010
204 Posts
Thanks iraqi_cowboy.
I agree after looking at the videos. I'm going to orient it to load against the spline to hold the wings down during flight.
The spline thing is a fishing rod builders trick when assembling an IM6 or IM7 high modulus graphite rod. You have to place the rod guides directly on the spline or the rod will twist from torque when under load.
Old Apr 01, 2012, 09:48 PM
Joined Mar 2012
12 Posts
hi

i read almost everything in the thread, but i still dont have an idea of what motor and propeller to use, can anyone kindly tell me, what motor,esc,propeller, and battery combination i have to use, im going to use ardupilot, and fpv, also it has to fly atleast 20min before it dries out, is it possible?.
cessna1525 is offline Find More Posts by cessna1525
Old Apr 01, 2012, 10:59 PM
The Fixer
Canada, ON, Milton
Joined Jan 2009
3,704 Posts
I'm using a E-flight Power 32, with 3 blade 11X7 prop and a 60 Amp esc.
RCG Plus Member