HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 03, 2010, 02:18 PM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,290 Posts
Rave
Welcome TPG and others

We now have a new spot for RCG-type Torrey Pines Gulls to get out information, keep informed, make suggestions and general banter about our club and flying sites.

It could be useful, it could become obsolete next week for all I know.
Regardless, Welcome!

mw
Mark Wood is offline Find More Posts by Mark Wood
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 05, 2010, 03:38 PM
Slope Stud
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined May 2001
2,262 Posts
I am here.

Oranator
ORANATOR is offline Find More Posts by ORANATOR
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 06, 2010, 09:50 AM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
Me too.. Mark,

questions:.. what's the "Blue Sky Rule" exactly (from the RC Pilot's perspective")

when the wind's good and nearly straight in .. how many para-pilots are typically flying, in the vicinity, and how many RC planes can typically be accommodated safely within the RC zone?

and finally.. what's the best way to line up a spotter in advance up there?

Regards,
JimS
jims123 is offline Find More Posts by jims123
Old Apr 02, 2010, 06:16 PM
I want to believe
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2002
929 Posts
Hey, is the swap meet planned for the next meeting on April 12th?

Regards,
Marty
mdine1us is offline Find More Posts by mdine1us
Old Apr 05, 2010, 10:21 AM
I want to believe
Joined Jan 2002
929 Posts
Swap meet is ON fer the meeting next week!
Old Apr 21, 2010, 10:48 PM
Carlsbad, CA
Joined Sep 2004
4,363 Posts
Hey all I didnt know we had our own thread.

Hope you all got some air today. Was a pretty good day all over. I caught the last 1/2 hour of daylight.
rockbus is offline Find More Posts by rockbus
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Multicopter News
Old Apr 21, 2010, 10:56 PM
Carlsbad, CA
Joined Sep 2004
4,363 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jims123 View Post
Me too.. Mark,

questions:.. what's the "Blue Sky Rule" exactly (from the RC Pilot's perspective")

when the wind's good and nearly straight in .. how many para-pilots are typically flying, in the vicinity, and how many RC planes can typically be accommodated safely within the RC zone?

and finally.. what's the best way to line up a spotter in advance up there?

Regards,
JimS
Jim Blue sky rule means there should be blue sky between your plane and any other plane, paraglider, hang-glider or full-scale at Torrey. If there is blue sky you cant intersect.

If there is no one there to spot you just keep your ears open for the whistles or talk to the paraglider pilots to see which way they are going === North or South at launch.

If its 8-10 mph there could be up to a dozen jellies up, typically half that. 4-5 RC pilots could be flying too. I think its best there when the winds are 25+ hardly anyone is flying manned planes so the hill is left to us RC fliers. At 25 + there might be 4-5 pilots flying and typically taking turns.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 21, 2010, 11:11 PM
It was just a flesh wound!
San Diego, CA
Joined Sep 2007
2,224 Posts
Nice...our own TPG thread. Great idea Mark! Looking forward to more flying at Torrey.

Dale
he4gott is offline Find More Posts by he4gott
Old Apr 22, 2010, 03:50 PM
2 Build or not 2 build???
Solana Beach, CA
Joined Jul 2008
551 Posts
Slow to catch on...

Just found this thread. Good to see.

Did anyone by chance find a TPG card at Torrey over the last week? I seem to have misplaced mine.
jrbike is offline Find More Posts by jrbike
Old Apr 22, 2010, 06:10 PM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrbike View Post
Just found this thread. Good to see.

Did anyone by chance find a TPG card at Torrey over the last week? I seem to have misplaced mine.
Jim
not me.. I'm still waiting for a chance to get rated.
And haven't been back since I saw/met you last.. up there..
Your Name's on the card so I bet it will turn up soon.. JimS
JimS
Old Apr 22, 2010, 06:26 PM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockbus View Post
Jim Blue sky rule means there should be blue sky between your plane and any other plane, paraglider, hang-glider or full-scale at Torrey. If there is blue sky you cant intersect.

If there is no one there to spot you just keep your ears open for the whistles or talk to the paraglider pilots to see which way they are going === North or South at launch.

If its 8-10 mph there could be up to a dozen jellies up, typically half that. 4-5 RC pilots could be flying too. I think its best there when the winds are 25+ hardly anyone is flying manned planes so the hill is left to us RC fliers. At 25 + there might be 4-5 pilots flying and typically taking turns.
Rock,
really sorry i missed this post till just today.. but I did get a chance to go over some of this with MW.. thanks..

Prob I anticipate is by the time you may notice there's no "blue sky" left, its it's too late right? I have the impression you have to be all ears and eyes all the time up there and really fly defensively .. that's what I plan to do anyway.. I don't care about my planes but, would really hate to hit a para pilot or another glider.. especially a fancy expensive carbon ship, and there's a lot of 'em to look out for.

Good tip on the talk-up with the para guys.. if I'm going to fly there it'll be right alongside whom ever's up RC wise too to chat up who's flying low vs. hi or inside vs. out.. something tells me it's not intuitive till perhaps you've done it a few times.. .. rgr on the 25+ I bet it is really hairy then and I know it's great fun to watch..

How long have you been flying Torrey Pines and how many mid-airs have you seen there? I have seem my share at Sea World and when it happened to me once .. i thought it was very cool since it was a head-to-head when we were both doing half-pipes in opposite directions.. (RidgeRogue and I) but then again. no one at all was hurt either..
Regards,
JimS
Old May 05, 2010, 11:18 PM
Carlsbad, CA
Joined Sep 2004
4,363 Posts
Meeting Tuesday May 11th Air and Space Museum 7 pm.

Guest speaker Tom Mineger on Aero Towing.

Last meeting before the spring/summer break.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 17, 2010, 03:22 PM
Tunabiker
Del Mar CA
Joined Dec 2003
42 Posts
Hi Guys, I'm missing my hi-start and figure I must have left it at the Encinitas site. Anyone find and have my NES "Large" hi-start with a couple hooks on the rubber end and an orange reel? I'd appreciate finding it. I couldn't find it in the trailer.Thanks, Bill Eckles
tunabiker is offline Find More Posts by tunabiker
Old Dec 13, 2010, 07:20 PM
I want to believe
Joined Jan 2002
929 Posts
Reminder: Torrey Pines Gulls Christmas Party tomorrow night (December14th) automotive Museum, Balboa Park
Old Jan 09, 2011, 11:30 PM
Launching!
Chula Vista, CA
Joined Jul 2006
1,384 Posts
By my count next TPG meeting is on Tuesday the 11th?

Are we going to have a pre-meeting at Bronc's Pizza?

DC
dc812 is offline Find More Posts by dc812
RCG Plus Member