Old Sep 09, 2014, 06:54 AM
South London United Kingdom
Joined Jun 2003
1,185 Posts
Discussion
Knight 50 Electric Conversion

Hi guys, need some help.

Here's the deal.

Some time ago I converted a Nitro Raptor 30 to electric. Turned out to be very successful, and still one of my favourite models.
So, on the lookout for a similar project, I came across a Compass Knight 50 airframe on e-bay for a silly (for silly, read 1.20) price.
Anyway, got most of the mechanical details, motor mounting etc. sorted but need some help on power systems.
I used 6s on the Raptor, but I don't think that will cut it on the Knight. So, choice of either 8s or 12s. Leaving 10s in the wings, too much of a compromise.
The Knight has a very narrow frame, and not much space so battery choice is a question.
I had thought of two 4s packs, one on its side between the frames, the other out front. However, I only have 30mm between the frames. One battery I looked at had quoted size of 29mm wide, perfect, until you read the real world specs, where it seems the dimensions vary from 29mm to 33mm. Oops.
Did look at 12s, with two 6s packs in series.
I have these on my 500GT
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._6S1P_20C.html
and they are performing well, and two of these would be easy to fit, but I am concerned whether they will supply enough power.
At full chat, they will give about 3Kw. Obviously, not going to run them flat out, but will, say, 2Kw be enough to fly the model?
Won't be doing any 3d anytime soon, mainly because I'm not that good a pilot., so would this be enough for some FFF and circuit work?

Your thoughts?

Borderlord
Border Lord is offline Find More Posts by Border Lord
to remove ads between posts