HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 04, 2013, 12:00 PM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,403 Posts
Discussion
Can you please post instead of PMing me?

I am running to the limit of my PM limit and I can't answer all of your questions. RCGroups only allows 10 responses every 15 minutes. With 15 or so PMs per day (and only checking once per day), that means I can't always answer all of your PMs. Thus I end up closing out my browser and going off to something else to let the time expire and then my ADHD kicks in and I completely forget about the remaining PMs I have to answer.

That said, I still have 22 PMs to answer right now and am at my response limit. If I can find the time to check twice per day with all the PMs from FPVLAB, Emails, and other things I need to do for my business and family, it will take me 3-4 days to clear it out.

In other words, you'll probably get a faster response by posting unless you intend to petition this rule on RCGroups.

Sorry,

-Alex
IBCrazy is offline Find More Posts by IBCrazy
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 04, 2013, 03:18 PM
Don't be popular, be right.
United States, FL, Port St Lucie
Joined Aug 2004
829 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBCrazy View Post
I am running to the limit of my PM limit and I can't answer all of your questions. RCGroups only allows 10 responses every 15 minutes. With 15 or so PMs per day (and only checking once per day), that means I can't always answer all of your PMs. Thus I end up closing out my browser and going off to something else to let the time expire and then my ADHD kicks in and I completely forget about the remaining PMs I have to answer.

That said, I still have 22 PMs to answer right now and am at my response limit. If I can find the time to check twice per day with all the PMs from FPVLAB, Emails, and other things I need to do for my business and family, it will take me 3-4 days to clear it out.

In other words, you'll probably get a faster response by posting unless you intend to petition this rule on RCGroups.

Sorry,

-Alex
Personally I think if ANYONE should be given a premium membership (and removed message restrictions) based on contribution that it should be you.
bigddybn is offline Find More Posts by bigddybn
Old Oct 04, 2013, 03:23 PM
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Nov 2010
4,043 Posts
+1 holly cow...

They were giving them out to "preferred members who earned it" a few weeks ago... That being said, I think Alex has earned it more than anyone.
Jwmflying14 is offline Find More Posts by Jwmflying14
Old Oct 04, 2013, 10:37 PM
I'm just a 2.5D Pilot
Fort Worth, TX
Joined Dec 2005
857 Posts
Brand New to FPV in DFW

Wow... you are really popular! I am so glad I came across this thread. I'm thinking the reason that people PM you is that "You Da Man!" and that posts get buried so fast here. In fact... I was just about to PM you my shopping list. You might wanna charge a consulting fee, I hear that's where the $$ is.

Well here goes any other recommendations starting out? I already have a gopro hero 1, that I'd like to use for a camera to begin with so I'm thinking I need the rest of this stuff:

99.00 D58-2 5.8 Ghz Diversity Receiver: http://www.foxtechfpv.com/d582-58g-d...ver-p-592.html

32.00 TX/RX Cloverleaf Antennas : http://www.foxtechfpv.com/foxtech-58...pin-p-891.html (will probably get the BluBeams)

13.00 RX Antenna 5.8 ghz 11dbi Directional antenna http://www.foxtechfpv.com/58g-11dbi-...nna-p-369.html (A better recomendation for the 2nd antenna?)

39.99 200mw VTX http://www.foxtechfpv.com/foxtech-58...ter-p-179.html (Probably)

95.99 8 inch monitor http://www.foxtechfpv.com/foxtech-m8...tor-p-644.html

I've read/watched the sticky's in this thread, but any input/guidance is appreciated

Ricky
rickgode is offline Find More Posts by rickgode
Old Oct 05, 2013, 12:55 AM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,403 Posts
@Ricky - Ouch! You really need to re-think that shopping list. A few items:

1. Those antennas are not CP. They claim they are (and probably believe they are), but the truth is they are built so poorly that they just don't work. Admittedly, I like the housing. Nice work there, but if the performance isn't there, then it really doesn't matter what it looks like. kind of like having a nice shiny sports car in your driveway with no motor in it.

11dbi directional antenna - No way you can use this well. This is for advanced pilots... and even they will likely pass this one up. It is simply too directional.

Monitor - that's a good monitor. I own one and like it.

Diversity receiver - I got a phone call from a robot manufacturer in Australia that swears by that receiver. Although he had some nice antennas on it courtesy of my one of my employees

-Alex
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 05, 2013, 01:00 AM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,403 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwmflying14 View Post
+1 holly cow...

They were giving them out to "preferred members who earned it" a few weeks ago... That being said, I think Alex has earned it more than anyone.
I had that at one point. Jasmine put in the recommendation for it. I probably should have asked about why it expired, but humility got the better of me and I asked myself "What makes me so special?" and I never sent the Email. Of course, I had to clean out my inbox first. My quota dropped from 2000 to 200. I had 1740 PMs to delete before I could do anything. If you've ever dumped your inbox, you understand how long this took me

-Alex
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 05, 2013, 01:44 AM
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Nov 2010
4,043 Posts
I hear ya! Just cleaned an old Gmail with 2200 Emails...

Goodluck!
Jwmflying14 is offline Find More Posts by Jwmflying14
Old Oct 05, 2013, 01:58 AM
Doing stuff since 1902.
France, RA, Grenoble
Joined Dec 2004
2,627 Posts
I PMed you asking why you get so many emails !
I'm kidding of course.
Olivier_C is online now Find More Posts by Olivier_C
Old Oct 05, 2013, 03:14 AM
FPV Proximity is FUN!
Australia, WA, York
Joined May 2012
1,401 Posts
Quote:

1. Those antennas are not CP. They claim they are (and probably believe they are), but the truth is they are built so poorly that they just don't work. Admittedly, I like the housing. Nice work there, but if the performance isn't there, then it really doesn't matter what it looks like. kind of like having a nice shiny sports car in your driveway with no motor in it.

11dbi directional antenna - No way you can use this well. This is for advanced pilots... and even they will likely pass this one up. It is simply too directional.

Diversity receiver - I got a phone call from a robot manufacturer in Australia that swears by that receiver. Although he had some nice antennas on it courtesy of my one of my employees

-Alex
Is that receiver really that good?
Iv'e heard it has some over heating issues...

Ben
fOaMmaSh87 is online now Find More Posts by fOaMmaSh87
Old Oct 05, 2013, 04:13 AM
Doing stuff since 1902.
France, RA, Grenoble
Joined Dec 2004
2,627 Posts
Quote:
Since we can ask here (thanks for your time btw!), I've got the ImmersionRC versions, these :
http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...t_Antenna.html
Do you think it's the same kind ?
I'll open the casings so I can see myself what's inside, I was sure it was cloverleaves, but now that you say it...
Olivier_C is online now Find More Posts by Olivier_C
Old Oct 05, 2013, 05:41 AM
Suspended Account
United States, CT, Hartford
Joined Jun 2009
5,336 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigddybn View Post
Personally I think if ANYONE should be given a premium membership (and removed message restrictions) based on contribution that it should be you.
For what it's worth the membership is available to anyone who wishes to purchase it. I bet it could even be "gifted" to someone.
porcia83 is offline Find More Posts by porcia83
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Oct 05, 2013, 09:04 AM
OpenTX University
United States, NJ
Joined Aug 2013
304 Posts
+2 Alex deserves to be rewarded for all he does here. Either by us the user community or RCGroups themselves. God knows he brings in traffic to the site!

Alex, you maybe humble but, knowledge is money! Maybe in your profile blog you can put a donate link using paypal. I for one don't see a problem with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwmflying14 View Post
+1 holly cow...

Casey101 is offline Find More Posts by Casey101
Old Oct 05, 2013, 09:35 AM
I'm just a 2.5D Pilot
Fort Worth, TX
Joined Dec 2005
857 Posts
Quote:

This is exactly what I need! Thank you, which one of your antennas you make would you use?

Quote:
So what would be a good 2nd antenna on the RX? Get the same as the other antenna?

Quote:
Great!

Quote:
Well then, let me know what antennas to get and I'll get em!

Thank you so much for your time.

Ricky
rickgode is offline Find More Posts by rickgode
Old Oct 05, 2013, 10:53 AM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,403 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey101 View Post
+2 Alex deserves to be rewarded for all he does here. Either by us the user community or RCGroups themselves. God knows he brings in traffic to the site!

Alex, you maybe humble but, knowledge is money! Maybe in your profile blog you can put a donate link using paypal. I for one don't see a problem with it.
I have already been rewarded well. I have friends all over the World inviting me into their homes, meeting up with them to fly at the most incredible places, and rarely going to a place where I feel alone. It is a rewarding life. A lot of hard work, but very rewarding.

I'm not worried about money. I'm cheap. I mean cheap. Look at my planes all taped up and scratch-built... and I like it that way. I make enough money to get out and enjoy life and support myself. What else really matters?

The most rewarding life is lived by giving it away. Bet on people. People are not greed machines. Give the most important thing you have - yourself - and see what reward is waiting in a fulfilling life.

-Alex
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 05, 2013, 10:57 AM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,403 Posts
@Ricky - I really like the True Wired antenna set from True RC Canada. If you want top-notch performance, that's an awesome set.

The ones I make are the BluBeams. They are more durable and are coated for corrosion protection and many people report that they are the best performers they ever tried. However, that doesn't mean I dislike Hugo's work on the True Wired antennas. I am a fan of his work (excuse the bad pun), and I can honestly say that whether you buy his or mine, you will get top-notch performance.

-Alex
RCG Plus Member