HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 11, 2013, 09:27 AM
Flight Instructor
Chico, CA
Joined Jun 2008
684 Posts
Discussion
Hoverfly, can we please get a preview?

So were nearly halfway through September now. The last peep any of us heard was a ground station, waypoints and auto-land. This was supposed to happen in August. Do you guys think this will happen before Christmas?
mspencer is offline Find More Posts by mspencer
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 11, 2013, 04:11 PM
Joined Sep 2013
5 Posts
I would not hold you breath. This was "coming soon" two years ago. Jump ship now and save your self.
bobtaz13 is offline Find More Posts by bobtaz13
Old Sep 12, 2013, 05:34 AM
SuperX Hex and X8 Flyer
Columbus, IN
Joined Jul 2009
650 Posts
The silence from the HF Team is making a lot of people bitter.....
ross_badger is offline Find More Posts by ross_badger
Old Sep 12, 2013, 07:41 AM
Gravity always wins !!!
UK, Essex, Tiptree
Joined Jan 2010
57 Posts
I have supported and backed Hoverfly all the way from day one, with the green board through to the latest version black board.

After several years of us all being guinea pigs at our own expense, to their modifications and bug fixes to firmware etc. The Hoverfly Pro board now is world class and flies extremely well and is a credit to the team.

However the GPS board is not even in the same league as its competitors. With tastes of great things to come, none of which materialise.

I feel I have wasted valuable time sticking with Hoverfly and its promises, while other brands have succeeded to dominate the market with superior products.

My feeling is that lack of performance of GPS and low volumes of sales do not provide sufficient income to support future development and profit.

Sadly with no improvements on the horizon the time has come to contemplate a different board and setup.

Letís hope a miracle happens and we can all benefit from a Hoverfly GPS board that matches the performance of the Pro board.
Photo Elevate is offline Find More Posts by Photo Elevate
Old Sep 12, 2013, 09:40 AM
Flight Instructor
Chico, CA
Joined Jun 2008
684 Posts
This is what surprises me. Ever since I switched to 4.8, an external mag and ublox gps my GPS performance is great. I've been with them since George was making Quadpowered boards so trust me I know about the promises. When i'm making docu-shorts or commercials the director/cameraman wants me to fly always to the edge of my sight distance. If I plan on going beyond that I use the FPV monitor. When I want to take the load off me I flip the RTH switch and in 90 hours of flying it comes back everytime. He wants me to hold my position so someone else can get ready for the shot, I use Position Hold. My point is that the basic GPS features have improved a ton this year with 4.8 and are reliable for me. I hope their silence means they are doing a lot of testing on different platforms and different configurations before the release whatever it is.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 10:06 AM
Joined May 2011
65 Posts
HF team,

Please give us some information.
Krzysiek is offline Find More Posts by Krzysiek
Old Sep 13, 2013, 05:34 AM
SuperX Hex and X8 Flyer
Columbus, IN
Joined Jul 2009
650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Photo Elevate View Post
I have supported and backed Hoverfly all the way from day one, with the green board through to the latest version black board.
I have done the same, and am still flying with a green board WITHOUT GPS, and my hex is extremely smooth. I am very happy with the way it flies manually.

However, I've sold my black HFPro and GPS board due to all of the issues, and moved to AutoQuad 6 for my GPS needs.

I would gladly come back to HoverFly GPS products, if 1) we are given any information of what's coming and 2) they release a new STABLE GPS product.
ross_badger is offline Find More Posts by ross_badger
Old Sep 14, 2013, 01:23 AM
Pants first, then shoes
Joined Jan 2011
2,760 Posts
About a month ago I heard the HF were working hard on a large corporate client and within that work was waypoints for the gps. From what i could gather this work was due for completion some time soon and then possibly we might get to see waypoints on the HF GPS firmware. From what i understand they have been working their butts off on this particular job which is why we havent heard from them.
Fingers crossed we get some good news soon.
Stacky is offline Find More Posts by Stacky
Old Sep 14, 2013, 11:16 AM
Flight Instructor
Chico, CA
Joined Jun 2008
684 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacky View Post
About a month ago I heard the HF were working hard on a large corporate client and within that work was waypoints for the gps. From what i could gather this work was due for completion some time soon and then possibly we might get to see waypoints on the HF GPS firmware. From what i understand they have been working their butts off on this particular job which is why we havent heard from them.
Fingers crossed we get some good news soon.
I believe it as well. Lets hope we get something soon. I really hope they don't make us pay some of the outrageous prices that DJI or Zero UAV does for thier upgrades.
Old Sep 14, 2013, 02:40 PM
Joined May 2011
65 Posts
They have taken money for feak GPS board already....
Old Sep 15, 2013, 12:59 AM
Pants first, then shoes
Joined Jan 2011
2,760 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krzysiek View Post
They have taken money for feak GPS board already....
feak? huh?
Old Sep 15, 2013, 02:45 AM
Joined May 2011
65 Posts
I am sorry for my english, I meant "fake".
Old Sep 15, 2013, 03:38 AM
Pants first, then shoes
Joined Jan 2011
2,760 Posts
Fake?. How is it fake?
Old Sep 15, 2013, 05:32 AM
Joined May 2011
65 Posts
I had toilet bowl efect from the beginning when I mounted, I just could not use it. I had GPS board on my hexa, but it does not work. It looks like GPS board, it costs like GPS board but it does not work like GPS board, so how can you call it?

I must admit GPS is better when they introduced the external mag. It looks like it works now, but I am not 100% sure it will come back to me when I switch RTH.
Old Sep 15, 2013, 09:55 AM
Flight Instructor
Chico, CA
Joined Jun 2008
684 Posts
As long as the magnetometer is facing perfectly straight it should not toilet bowl.. If it toilet bowls left twist the magnetometer right. If it toilet bowls right twist the magnetometer left. It should hold and return to home every time. It took some experimenting but my ship holds every time and returns home every time.