HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 19, 2012, 09:13 AM
ARFs make me BARF
United States, MI, Roseville
Joined Dec 2000
8,956 Posts
Looks like 3 were made for the Jimmy Stewart movie, 2 were made by EAA, and both of those had different specs lol documentation can get tricky
mrittinger is online now Find More Posts by mrittinger
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 19, 2012, 11:30 AM
oops i crashed
Chile, Valparaíso, Viña
Joined May 2011
54 Posts
What a wonderful build, true craftsmanship is shown here. Subbed up!
oopsicrashed is offline Find More Posts by oopsicrashed
Old Dec 19, 2012, 01:55 PM
S/E Michigan
Joined Jun 2010
1,648 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oopsicrashed View Post
What a wonderful build, true craftsmanship is shown here. Subbed up!
Thanks, I consider myself a hack compared to the ol' regulars here, but I'll take all the warm fuzzies I can get!
phillip57 is offline Find More Posts by phillip57
Old Dec 20, 2012, 06:12 AM
AKA Jon Rider
United States, MA, Holliston
Joined May 2004
1,087 Posts
I took these the last time I went to the Air and Space Museum - I have more - and happy to get you high resolution versions if they will help -
Shnokey is online now Find More Posts by Shnokey
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 20, 2012, 06:16 AM
S/E Michigan
Joined Jun 2010
1,648 Posts
Thanks Shnokey, those are like the ones I have. One cannot get all around the plane due to its location, this limited perspective is as good as it gets.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 10:00 AM
Joined Mar 2009
216 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillip57 View Post
I've not seen a pic of the original with the gear splayed out like that. Must be an intentional deviation from the original plans, like the minimal dihedral.
I think I can explain the differences in appearance of the landing gear regarding splayed or not splayed. It depends on the weight of the airplane. Thus different pictures of the same airplane can show the wheels splayed sometimes and not splayed other times.

The design of the shock absorbing system is such that the wheels tend to splay out when the airplane is heavily loaded. The springs (or rubber bungee cords) are selected such that the landing gear isn't too highly deflected at full weight. Then when you use up all that fuel, or are in flight, the landing gear pulls together and appears to have the bottoms of the wheels closer together.

If you go to Google images and search for Spirit of St. Louis you can find pictures of the original airplane with bottoms of the wheels pulled in together in flight or hanging on display. I didn't spot any pics of the wheels splayed apart on the original airplane, but that may be because it was only fully fueled a couple of times. The pics taken at Roosevelt Field just before takeoff all seem to have people standing in the way so we can't see the wheels.

By the way, splayed wheels are one of the ways that you can identify worn out bungee cords on a Piper Cub. Cords only last a few years and then you have to put new ones on.

Dick
otrcman is offline Find More Posts by otrcman
Old Dec 20, 2012, 08:54 PM
ARFs make me BARF
Joined Dec 2000
8,956 Posts
I think Dick is 100% correcct, as regards to lg geometry. No doubt he more she was loaded, the wider the stance got. Could also be something to do with it being one of the replicas as well. I guess at least 5 have been built, I'm sure they aren't all the same

Where are you located? Maybe we could graba coffee sometime, or get a flight in...

Mark (in Roseville)
Old Dec 21, 2012, 12:25 AM
S/E Michigan
Joined Jun 2010
1,648 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrittinger View Post
I think Dick is 100% correcct, as regards to lg geometry. No doubt he more she was loaded, the wider the stance got. Could also be something to do with it being one of the replicas as well. I guess at least 5 have been built, I'm sure they aren't all the same

Where are you located? Maybe we could graba coffee sometime, or get a flight in...

Mark (in Roseville)
I'm the other end of town, Troy. Doesn't look as though there'll be much flying soon with the storm blowing in...
Old Dec 21, 2012, 08:49 AM
ARFs make me BARF
Joined Dec 2000
8,956 Posts
Troys not far...
Old Dec 23, 2012, 01:37 AM
S/E Michigan
Joined Jun 2010
1,648 Posts
Guess we'll continue working on the cowl....
Old Dec 23, 2012, 02:01 AM
Tally Ho Chaps!
United Kingdom, England, Ipswich
Joined Mar 2012
452 Posts
She's coming along very nicely Phil. Where did you find the dummy engine? Judging by the timing of your last post there's a lot of midnight oil being burned on this one!
Chompwat is offline Find More Posts by Chompwat
Old Dec 23, 2012, 08:43 AM
S/E Michigan
Joined Jun 2010
1,648 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chompwat View Post
She's coming along very nicely Phil. Where did you find the dummy engine? Judging by the timing of your last post there's a lot of midnight oil being burned on this one!
Midnight oil mostly, the time spent on it. Progress is slow, holiday time, lots to do. The motor is a Williams bros. 1/8 scale Wright J-5. My LHS stocks a few cylinders, I had him order a complete engine kit.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 11:27 AM
Tally Ho Chaps!
United Kingdom, England, Ipswich
Joined Mar 2012
452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillip57 View Post
Midnight oil mostly, the time spent on it. Progress is slow, holiday time, lots to do. The motor is a Williams bros. 1/8 scale Wright J-5. My LHS stocks a few cylinders, I had him order a complete engine kit.
Good choice. It certainly looks the part.
Chompwat is offline Find More Posts by Chompwat
Old Dec 23, 2012, 11:42 AM
Joined Jan 2009
1,484 Posts
Great effort! I'm just finding this and was pleasantly surprised! Please don't hold it against me as I'm not yet electrified. I am a SoSL fan, in any form,however, and aways enjoy anything related.

A few years back I was involved with a very exacting full scale reproduction. We found the "original drawings" held by San dDego Air & Space Museum erroneous and and after a false start fusleage frame (now part of the replica on display at Lindberg field) sought better documentation. Eventually we found an original loft of the NYP2 and original design sketches by Donald Hall. We also located a Hall rendering of the NYP wing from the file of Posey Bros. Lumber, who made spruce spars for a number of aircraft from the classic era.

There is quite a bit of legend and myth surrounding the design of the aircraft and no end of controversy of who designed what, etc. I got a chucle from mention about the "selection" of the Clark Y airfoil. It should be noted that the Clark Y was the airfoil chosen for the M-1 was probably made by a fellow named Waterhouse. Hall probably "chose it " for SoSL because it existed in M-1 form! Hall did use the profile of Clark Y as the plan view of the balsa wing tip, however. It was planked in large section boards cut between several formers (spar ends and additional formers). The tip appears to be slightly undercambered because its sections are eliptical roughly centered on a spruce tip bow that is inclined (higher at tip extremity= front view) approx 15 deg .

Keep up the good work. I look forward to the flight photos.
packardpursuit is online now Find More Posts by packardpursuit