SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
View Poll Results: Best Tx/Rx Video system for a 2.4 radio to get at least a 2-3 miles range ?
900MHz 12 66.67%
1.2/1.3MHz 6 33.33%
5.8GHz 0 0%
Other ??? 0 0%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Old Nov 28, 2009, 06:22 PM
V
USA
Joined Mar 2009
392 Posts
Discussion
Best Video Tx/Rx with a 2.4 radio ???? 900 vs 1.2/1.3 vs 5.8 ??

I have probably read pages and pages about people taking about all the different options that are out there for FPV gear and it only gets more confusion when people start going so deep into all the technical aspects !!!

My question is simple !!!
900 MHz vs 1.2/1.3GHz vs 5.8 GHz ???
Which system is the best to get at least 2-3 miles??
I live in US !!!
V is offline Find More Posts by V
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 28, 2009, 09:25 PM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,403 Posts
1.2 is illegal in the U.S. so you can't use that one. I'd stay way from 5.8 as well since it's range is short. That leaves you with 1.3 and 900 MHz. Technically you should have one to fly 900 MHZ. I'm not certain about 1.3 GHz.

I've flown over a mile away on 900 MHZ and turned around because I was worried about loss of radio contact. Video was still going strong
IBCrazy is offline Find More Posts by IBCrazy
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 28, 2009, 10:03 PM
V
USA
Joined Mar 2009
392 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBCrazy View Post
1.2 is illegal in the U.S. so you can't use that one. I'd stay way from 5.8 as well since it's range is short. That leaves you with 1.3 and 900 MHz. Technically you should have one to fly 900 MHZ. I'm not certain about 1.3 GHz.

I've flown over a mile away on 900 MHZ and turned around because I was worried about loss of radio contact. Video was still going strong
Thanks for the input .
That sounds pretty cool. That was kinda my first option to go with the 900MHz with the Oracle Diversity Receiver with 1 Patch 1 Omni antenna.
Old Nov 28, 2009, 10:43 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,478 Posts
If you're serious about "at least 2-3 miles" then 2.4Ghz R/C control
is simply the wrong way to go, without the use of illegal 2.4Ghz power boosters.
A good 2.4Ghz system will get you reliably a mile out, and anything beyond that is
pushing your luck. I've been as far as 2 miles with 2.4Ghz control and 900Mhz
video, but was also using a parabolic reflector behind the 2.4Ghz Tx antenna
to increase my range.

ian
Daemon is offline Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 28, 2009, 10:55 PM
V
USA
Joined Mar 2009
392 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
If you're serious about "at least 2-3 miles" then 2.4Ghz R/C control
is simply the wrong way to go, without the use of illegal 2.4Ghz power boosters.
A good 2.4Ghz system will get you reliably a mile out, and anything beyond that is
pushing your luck. I've been as far as 2 miles with 2.4Ghz control and 900Mhz
video, but was also using a parabolic reflector behind the 2.4Ghz Tx antenna
to increase my range.

ian
So then you suggest a 72 Mhz module synthesizer radio and 2.4 Ghz video.
Will this setup get me to 3 miles or beyond much easier than then the what I proposed?
Last edited by V; Nov 28, 2009 at 11:35 PM.
Old Nov 29, 2009, 06:35 AM
Questionable judgement
Charles Town, WV
Joined Jan 2008
3,072 Posts
If you want to go 3 miles I would poney up for a long range system. I know people get tired of being told to spend more money to achieve their goals but in this case it is money well spent. Lose one plane due to loss of r/c control and your already behind.
bracky72 is offline Find More Posts by bracky72
Old Nov 29, 2009, 12:33 PM
V
USA
Joined Mar 2009
392 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bracky72 View Post
If you want to go 3 miles I would poney up for a long range system. I know people get tired of being told to spend more money to achieve their goals but in this case it is money well spent. Lose one plane due to loss of r/c control and your already behind.
Can you please what exactly what do you refer too when you say a long range system? I'm more interested in the best equipment that I could get rather than the $ I would spend.
Thanks
Old Nov 29, 2009, 12:42 PM
my karma ranover my dogma
Edmonton,Canada Eh
Joined Jun 2007
7,570 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by olteancr View Post
Can you please what exactly what do you refer too when you say a long range system? I'm more interested in the best equipment that I could get rather than the $ I would spend.
Thanks
I can answer that....

Look here....

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=905915

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1026959

There are other LRS out there besides these 2.

Google is your friend....
galaxiex is offline Find More Posts by galaxiex
Old Nov 29, 2009, 12:58 PM
V
USA
Joined Mar 2009
392 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxiex View Post
I can answer that....

Look here....

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=905915

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1026959

There are other LRS out there besides these 2.

Google is your friend....

Hey thanks for the post galaxiex !!!
I took a look at the 2 systems and it seems that more people tend to go for the Dragon Link but it also seems that nobody knows when that system will be available for people to receive it. Do you know anything about that ?
Thanks
Old Nov 29, 2009, 01:10 PM
Questionable judgement
Charles Town, WV
Joined Jan 2008
3,072 Posts
I think there is less then 25 dragonlinks in existence. I have one of them. It's a amazing piece of technology but I worry about having something happening to my receiver and never obtaining a replacement. At this point I recommend Scherrer UHF because it is available now. Once dragonlink production ramps up then it will become a more valid option.

Here are two impressive videos displaying the power of a LRS.

This first one made by Jettpilot using the dragonlink.
FPV Plane FPV (7 min 31 sec)

This next one made by me using Scherrer LRS.
Tour of Locust Hill Golf Course -- from long range (8 min 45 sec)
bracky72 is offline Find More Posts by bracky72
Old Nov 29, 2009, 01:29 PM
V
USA
Joined Mar 2009
392 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bracky72 View Post
I think there is less then 25 dragonlinks in existence. I have one of them. It's a amazing piece of technology but I worry about having something happening to my receiver and never obtaining a replacement. At this point I recommend Scherrer UHF because it is available now. Once dragonlink production ramps up then it will become a more valid option.

Here are two impressive videos displaying the power of a LRS.

This first one made by Jettpilot using the dragonlink.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpAtMg5YI8E

This next one made by me using Scherrer LRS.
http://www.vimeo.com/7732984
I was a little bit worried of the connections that i have to do to apply the booster to my radio because I'm not a electrician pro. How complicated is it? Also what does UHF stand for ?
And I was wondering , I don't know if you are familiar, right now I have the new Aurora 9 ,2.4Ghz from Multiplex and on the Scherrer's post it says
'it can be used with any RC system that have PPM trainer outputs and with a CONSTANT PPM frame time"
I was wondering if that means that I would have to get the 72 Mhz module synthesizer from Multiplex in order put the PPM outputs?
I know there's a lot of questions & I understand if you don't have the time to answer me all Thanks for your input anyway
Old Nov 29, 2009, 02:01 PM
Edmonton,Canada Eh
Joined Jun 2007
7,570 Posts
Quote:
Hey thanks for the post galaxiex !!!
I took a look at the 2 systems and it seems that more people tend to go for the Dragon Link but it also seems that nobody knows when that system will be available for people to receive it. Do you know anything about that ?
Thanks
You are welcome!

Well... I was lucky and I got one of the first batch Dragon Link systems.

You could email JMSTech and ask when more will be ready.
Old Nov 29, 2009, 02:04 PM
Edmonton,Canada Eh
Joined Jun 2007
7,570 Posts
Quote:
I was a little bit worried of the connections that i have to do to apply the booster to my radio because I'm not a electrician pro. How complicated is it? Also what does UHF stand for ?
And I was wondering , I don't know if you are familiar, right now I have the new Aurora 9 ,2.4Ghz from Multiplex and on the Scherrer's post it says
'it can be used with any RC system that have PPM trainer outputs and with a CONSTANT PPM frame time"
I was wondering if that means that I would have to get the 72 Mhz module synthesizer from Multiplex in order put the PPM outputs?
I know there's a lot of questions & I understand if you don't have the time to answer me all Thanks for your input anyway
Best place to ask is in the Scherrer LRS thread.

But I think most answers are on his webpage. Give a good read there...

UHF = Ultra High Frequency
Old Nov 29, 2009, 02:08 PM
V
USA
Joined Mar 2009
392 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxiex View Post
Best place to ask is in the Scherrer LRS thread.

But I think most answers are on his webpage. Give a good read there...

UHF = Ultra High Frequency
Thanks for all the tips galaxiex !
What's your personal record with the Dragon link ?
And what video are you using with the Dragon Link setup setup 2.4 ?
thanks
Old Nov 29, 2009, 02:24 PM
Edmonton,Canada Eh
Joined Jun 2007
7,570 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for all the tips galaxiex !
What's your personal record with the Dragon link ?
And what video are you using with the Dragon Link setup setup 2.4 ?
thanks
Welcome!

Ahhh, errrr, well.... I have not flown the Dragon Link yet...

I am still in the process of building the plane for it...... and many other excuses .... too busy dealing with other real life stuff...too many other projects....bad weather.... it's winter here now... etc... etc...

But I have done quite a few ground range checks with the Dragon Link.

Under VERY POOR conditions, with the transmitter inside my house, and the receiver inside my van, the signal had to go through LOTS of obstructions, trees, houses, cars, etc... I got approx 1.6km at the best distance NON line of sight.
And 3.6km "almost" line of sight, but going through a very dense urban area.

I expect once in the air, and LOS, the Dragon Link will reach much farther than my video, or my battery will last, and still have enough to get home.

I plan on using 900mhz video gear. I already have quite a bit of 900mhz stuff and don't want to buy other gear right now...
Closed Thread