HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 10, 2009, 03:53 PM
BANG IT!!!
United States, PA, Bellefonte
Joined Dec 2007
12,263 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by littleoak View Post
Hot glued around the motor mount this morning and flew 3 packs at lunch. No problems, but I did decide to gently land in nice soft knee length grass, which gave me no issues.

Great flights in 10-15mph winds, maybe the slightly bigger pack helps with stability here. I still have the 750's for when conditions are calmer.

Rolling circles and harriers were a blast heading into the steady breeze.
Yeah, I have a couple 800's, a 1000, a 1050, and a 1250 if I need a bit of penitration.

I tried a couple flat spins Sunday, it is just such a long flat fuse it would not lock in, but it was very close. I have very few flights on this one, but it just feels like I have been flying it a long time. It seems to have no coupling at all, least that I have found.
DaOldGuy is online now Find More Posts by DaOldGuy
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 10, 2009, 06:21 PM
Goats & Glocks Eat Anything
Houston, in the Great State of Texas
Joined Jan 2009
459 Posts
I could not get flat spin locked in either. I certainly got it slowed down, but not flat. Inverted was slightly better, but not flat either. 1/2 OT Blenders are fun though. Try again tomorrow. Weather is good all week
littleoak is offline Find More Posts by littleoak
Old Nov 11, 2009, 12:47 PM
Joined Jan 2009
459 Posts
I think I cooked my motor today..... Just quit in flight, stopped dead, sadly I was only around 10ft in the air, so I maxed elevator, but went in hard and broke fuse in two behind wing. Fuse fixed now, but the motor is toast. I was flying hard first flight, vertical climbs WOT etc, and I just wonder if the 11x3.8SF APC prop was too much for the little fella. Next flight kind of similar flying, and then poof. It was hot. ESC powers up with no errors but motor just tries to turn very jerky. So I will put my spare motor in tomorrow and drop down to a smaller prop.

Cest la vie
Old Nov 11, 2009, 01:08 PM
Old skool speed freak!
Napa, Ca
Joined May 2004
459 Posts
Quote:
I think I cooked my motor today..... Just quit in flight, stopped dead, sadly I was only around 10ft in the air, so I maxed elevator, but went in hard and broke fuse in two behind wing. Fuse fixed now, but the motor is toast. I was flying hard first flight, vertical climbs WOT etc, and I just wonder if the 11x3.8SF APC prop was too much for the little fella. Next flight kind of similar flying, and then poof. It was hot. ESC powers up with no errors but motor just tries to turn very jerky. So I will put my spare motor in tomorrow and drop down to a smaller prop.

Cest la vie
Check your magnets.

Which motor are you using?

I have been using this one.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=8495

Over 30 flights so far, barely gets warm.
vinmech is online now Find More Posts by vinmech
Old Nov 11, 2009, 01:41 PM
BANG IT!!!
Joined Dec 2007
12,263 Posts
Quote:

Cest la vie
Dang... Sorry to hear that. There is a possibility since the motor fell off before, that it possibly weakened a lead wire. Vibration could have taken it the rest of the way. Put a VOM on the leads randomly and see if you have lost ohms on one. You should get tone from all. Then see if any of the lead wires have grounded to the shaft, case, or bell for a direct short.
Ron
Old Nov 11, 2009, 04:46 PM
Joined Jan 2009
459 Posts
I'll pull the motor off tomorrow. I have another the same to go straight on there, and I picked up a 10x3.8sf prop, which will pull less amps. I will take a good look at the motor and see if I can see anything. I was pulling 18A WOT static, the motor is rated at 14A max, so I suspect when I was climbing hard it may have been over loading.

Question - how much of a drop in amps from static WOT current draw would you expect say when climbing vertical WOT? Just to get your thoughts on that would be appreciated.
Old Nov 11, 2009, 05:47 PM
Joined Jan 2009
459 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinmech View Post
Check your magnets.

Which motor are you using?

I have been using this one.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=8495

Over 30 flights so far, barely gets warm.
I will check magnets, maybe something has come loose. Using Turnigy 28-30B.

Work keeps interrupting my flying. Linked on a prev post.
Old Nov 11, 2009, 05:49 PM
BANG IT!!!
Joined Dec 2007
12,263 Posts
Quote:
I'll pull the motor off tomorrow. I have another the same to go straight on there, and I picked up a 10x3.8sf prop, which will pull less amps. I will take a good look at the motor and see if I can see anything. I was pulling 18A WOT static, the motor is rated at 14A max, so I suspect when I was climbing hard it may have been over loading.

Question - how much of a drop in amps from static WOT current draw would you expect say when climbing vertical WOT? Just to get your thoughts on that would be appreciated.
You know, since I re-wind and test motors, I have asked that same question around the wise motor groups, they have all basically told me, there really is no difference from a static test stand to the real flights. Most all the forces are simular. They had done some in-flight testing with onboard <eagle tree> and found most results to be the same.

I would say in a down line, with the prop spinning, a full throttle boost may even be able to exceed those static amps since it is not starting from a dead stop.

Most damage can happen at peak full charge of a lipo, with the 11.1 volts is really 12.5. I am very interested to see what is really going on in the motor, broke wire, burnt wire, if the motor is cooked, they have a terrible smell.
Old Nov 11, 2009, 06:05 PM
Joined Jan 2009
459 Posts
Thanks for the info, interesting. I will report back tomorrow on the motor. At least it is a piece of cake to remove from the airframe.
Old Nov 12, 2009, 07:20 AM
Joined Jan 2009
459 Posts
So I removed the old motor. Put on a new one, same model, re-bound spektrum and reset esc end points. New motor works just fine, so not ESC.

Pulled old motor apart and I cannot see anything (see pic) however, when I connect it up it tries to run but very jerky. All connections look good, no loose magnets, the motor spins freely by hand. So I am at a loss. Any thoughts out there?
Old Nov 12, 2009, 08:01 AM
Old skool speed freak!
Napa, Ca
Joined May 2004
459 Posts
Quote:
So I removed the old motor. Put on a new one, same model, re-bound spektrum and reset esc end points. New motor works just fine, so not ESC.

Pulled old motor apart and I cannot see anything (see pic) however, when I connect it up it tries to run but very jerky. All connections look good, no loose magnets, the motor spins freely by hand. So I am at a loss. Any thoughts out there?
put a VOM on the leads and check resistance, check between all leads-should be very low resistance and pretty much equal between each other.
Then check each lead to metal frame, you should not read anything here on all three leads. Should read as open. You get anything there, that's your problem!

Hope that helps

Mikeeee
Old Nov 12, 2009, 08:42 AM
Joined Jan 2009
459 Posts
Thank you sir, I will try that this evening.
Old Nov 12, 2009, 12:21 PM
BANG IT!!!
Joined Dec 2007
12,263 Posts
I think I see the issue. The "crunchy" tan looking stuff is the Mag wire clear coating that can came loose / melted loose. I almost could not see it until I enlarged the picture.

Since it "appears" limited to the one stator arm, it doesn't look to have been an over all melt down, more like there may have been a weak/bad spot on the mag wire that heated up locally to that lug. The motor is trying to run off 2 of it's 3 phases, hense the jitters.

It may still tone out, bit with a digital ohm meter you will see more resistance on one of the 3 legs if that is the case.
Old Nov 12, 2009, 02:49 PM
Old skool speed freak!
Napa, Ca
Joined May 2004
459 Posts
+1 on Daoldguy

Good eye by the way, did not see that at first!
Old Nov 12, 2009, 05:15 PM
Joined Jan 2009
459 Posts
Thanks guys, I will double check that in the morning, you have good eyes. I shall retire that motor to the trash and continue to fly with my spare. I'll load a higher resolution picture tomorrow just to confirm, but your electrical background is a tad superior to mine.