SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 19, 2014, 10:39 PM
United States, SD, Yankton
Joined Aug 2009
14 Posts
Discussion
Esprit-Hornet 2e / Tomcat 2.5

Anyone have either of these? How are they and what motor is installed?
phil
pphil611 is offline Find More Posts by pphil611
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 21, 2014, 04:43 PM
United States, SC, North Augusta
Joined Mar 2009
51 Posts
Phil,

I had/have the hornet from esprit. The first one I purchased used here on RCG pretty much ready to fly. It had a MVVS 25/3.5/960 motor powered by a 3S TP 25C battery with a spin pro 44 esc. Aeronaut 12x8 and 12x9 props were used and produced 350/407 watts respectively. 58 oz ready to fly w/o battery.

This was my introduction to powered gliders. The hornet is a great flyer, even with this small motor. It was not long before I wanted to reach 400 feet in seconds instead of what seemed like minutes, and I started stuffing a larger motor, battery and esc in it. The forward portion of fuse is huge compared to most gliders out there in this class from what I have seen. There is room to fit a 5S pack if you want, hacker B50 gearbox motor and in my case, and large jeti 90 mezon esc. The drawback with the larger power setup is that you will have to start adding weight to the tail for proper balance. In my case, I added 50 grams to tail in addition to a pretty large chunk installed by the previous owner. Even so, it flew great and was still easy to land. Pic attached shows the two motors I ran in hornet.

Due to my lack of experience, I ended up exceeding the prop rpm on the forth flight with the new power setup and threw one blade. In less than one second, parts started coming off airframe (right aileron, hatch, battery). This was a expensive lesson, but I enjoyed the plane enough to order another. Found a BNF 2.5M Spider which has the hornet build on the back burner. I really do like the presence of 2.5 meters over 2M in the air. Have heard the same comment from my flying partners.

Funny, I had a interest in the 2.5M Tomcat as well and one of the guys I'm flying with may end up with one soon. I hear they won't be available from esprit until sometime after the first of the year.

Something to consider no matter which aircraft you decide to buy is what kind of power output you want. If you want a fast warmliner (big motor, heavier battery and esc), you'll need to consider balance of aircraft with all equipment installed. For me, if I build the hornet I have, it will have about 2000-2500 watts. This will require installing the servos behind the wing trailing edge. I'll have to cut a hatch in the fuse to make that happen (like the 2.5M spider has). Don't want to have large amounts of lead in tail.

Good luck with whatever you choose to fly.

John
john2kx is online now Find More Posts by john2kx
Old Dec 23, 2014, 12:42 AM
United States, SD, Yankton
Joined Aug 2009
14 Posts
hornet

thanks John, good info and write up
phil
pphil611 is offline Find More Posts by pphil611
Old Yesterday, 05:59 PM
United States, SC, North Augusta
Joined Mar 2009
51 Posts
I am thinking of going larger for my next build. Something like a Sharon 3.7 or larger. If you want a nib hornet, I can make you a pretty sweet deal. Have nib neu motor for it as well.
john2kx is online now Find More Posts by john2kx