HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 11, 2012, 11:09 AM
Joined Oct 2012
4 Posts
Help!
??Sensored Brushless Motor Not Working??

Hey guys,

Just recieved my new hobbyking 60amp ESC, the X-Car 8.5 turn sensored brushless motor, a NANo-Tech 5300mah lipo and a few other things. I have soldered all of the connectors what appear to be correct, and I have charged up the battery. When I plug in the battery and turn it on it does the starting tones like normaly but will not turn when I apply throttle I can spin the motor shaft and it will spin and respond to throttle then when returned to nuetral this process will start over. My dad and I have tried this many times and the motor just gave out a tiny bit of smoke as it gets very hot. Any help would be amazing. I am nervous and woried about the motor and ESC. I am hoping that it isn't just an expensive paper weight.

If anyone can help out it would be greatly appreciated. If there is anymore information required I am happy to supply it.
DirtKingz199 is offline Find More Posts by DirtKingz199
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 11, 2012, 02:25 PM
Canada, ON, Whitby
Joined Aug 2008
8,934 Posts
Is the sensor cable plugged in all the way at both ends? Is the ESC running in sensored mode?
wparsons is offline Find More Posts by wparsons
Old Oct 11, 2012, 02:48 PM
United States, CA, Pinole
Joined Jan 2009
825 Posts
Are the motor/esc phase connections correct ie: A-A B-B C-C .This is important on sensored type motor/esc combos
imgumby
imgumby is online now Find More Posts by imgumby
Old Oct 11, 2012, 09:17 PM
Joined Oct 2012
4 Posts
Thank you for your replies. Yes the motor is correctly wired and the ESC is running in sensored mode as the ESC automatically changes modes. The sensor cable is all the way in as well. As I sit there and give the car throttle and turn the shaft so the motor spins it heats up very quickly. Thanks for the replies
Old Oct 11, 2012, 09:40 PM
Obeying the law of gravity
Canada, ON, Cambridge
Joined Jul 2011
494 Posts
can you turn the shaft by hand easily? It could be that a magnet inside isn't glued in place properly, causing alot of friction and heat.
Jeremy Kamutzki is offline Find More Posts by Jeremy Kamutzki
Old Oct 11, 2012, 11:23 PM
Joined Oct 2012
4 Posts
Cheers for the reply. Yes I can no problems at all
Old Oct 12, 2012, 12:37 AM
bashing on vancouver island
Joined Sep 2008
609 Posts
i was having the same problem with a novak 8.5 turn motor hooked up to a trackstar esc. i had to manually spin the shaft to make it work. i then hooked it up to the hk80 amp esc and in sensored mode it seemed to work great. but when i took my truck out for a test run it was pretty slow and the motor got hot within a minute or so.
veggieslinger is offline Find More Posts by veggieslinger
Old Oct 12, 2012, 01:05 PM
Joined Oct 2012
4 Posts
I ama wondering if weather the esc is stuffed because that gets really hot very easily or weather the motor is screwed as it gave a little smoke. I am thinking that maybe programming may be a problem. I want to know what is going on so I can either contact hobby king or just buy a new one. I will be contacting them anyway as the shipping was dodgy it took double what the ems shipping time was and we payed more. Thanks so far guys.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 04:14 PM
Canada, ON, Whitby
Joined Aug 2008
8,934 Posts
Try adjusting the timing in the ESC maybe, but it sounds like something isn't right in the motor.
wparsons is offline Find More Posts by wparsons
Old Oct 17, 2012, 12:02 PM
United States, PA, Bethlehem
Joined Sep 2011
44 Posts
Yah sounds like sensor board is bad, i had one go bad took out esc as well...
raw111 is offline Find More Posts by raw111
Old Nov 04, 2012, 05:21 PM
Joined Apr 2012
7 Posts
Disconnect the sensor wire to rule the sensor board out as a problem.
majatra is offline Find More Posts by majatra